BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 2 Questions

05-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

2 Questions

I really like the new 1 series especially the M-Sport and am considering rading my 3er in for a 120d M-Sport but I have a couple of questions which hopefully you guys can answer.

1. How does the speed limitting button work?
2. The USB audio interface if I plug my Iphone into it can I control song choice through it like I would a USB stick?

They are not make or break questions but dealer couldn't seem to answer either!!!

Thanks in Anticipation

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
I got my car only a few days ago, so I am not familiar with all the features, but these are my best answers:

1) I don't know of any speed limit button, other than:
- with the iDrive you can set an acoustic warning when exceeding a certain speed
- There is the very well functioning and easy to use cruise control
2) You can control your iPhone music with the iDrive by connecting it to the USB port, as long as you have either the small or the large screen.

Especially with navi pro there are so many cool functions that you almost don't want to leave the garage. Remember to tick the appropriate infotainment boxes in the price list
      05-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
DRIVE'R
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i

If you don't go with cruise control, you get speed limit feature instead. You can set the limit with the press of a button, and also disable it with one or with double press of a gas pedal. I also read that is very annoying while you can press it accidently when driving. Please correct me if i'm wrong, while my knowledge is only from reading this forum
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnasty View Post
If you don't go with cruise control, you get speed limit feature instead. You can set the limit with the press of a button, and also disable it with one or with double press of a gas pedal. I also read that is very annoying while you can press it accidently when driving. Please correct me if i'm wrong, while my knowledge is only from reading this forum
I find it incredibly useful, much more so than cruise control. It limits your speed (via throttle) to the precise number you set it at, regardless of how much weight you put on the pedal, up to a certain point. This means that you can set it to 60 and push your foot probably about 20% past where it would have been to be at 60, and it will maintain the throttle/speed. If it senses that you're really trying to accelerate, for instance if you floor it, it will override.

Tbutton isn't all that easy to press accidentally (at least, I've never had that happen).

Why it's great: Normal cruise control just hammers ahead at a set speed, and doesn't take the fine variations in speed requirement into account. Thus, it goes 120km/h regardless of road condition, traffic, potential (I'm saying potential for a reason) obstructions ahead, etc. For example, if you see a truck ahead in the process of turning off onto a side road, and with cruise control you're travelling slightly too fast to avoid running up behind it, you have to switch off the CC, brake, then switch it on again once you've gone past. With the speed limiter, you simply back off the throttle slightly - because your foot is on it already - and then ease back once you're past, and you'll get right back up to the speed you were, precisely. For me, this works brilliantly.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

Re iPhone, you need to plug in using the BMW y-cable (or cradle, if specified) Once plugged in can only control through iDrive or steering wheel buttons, not the phone itself.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezzee View Post
Re iPhone, you need to plug in using the BMW y-cable (or cradle, if specified) Once plugged in can only control through iDrive or steering wheel buttons, not the phone itself.
but you can pick songs /albums via iDrive, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezzee View Post
Yes.
could you post a pic / video for me? i've never seen this feature in action.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
nickdpp
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

press LIM button, you will see a green sign on your speed screen, roll on the button, set the speed you'd like to limit. press LIM again to cancel this function, LIM is very practical on high way, some times i think it;s even better than cruise.
Appreciate 0