BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Wittmann and Spengler podium for BMW DTM in Moscow

08-31-2015, 12:30 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Wittmann and Spengler podium for BMW DTM in Moscow

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Wittmann and Spengler podium for BMW DTM in Moscow
COMMENTS
Name:  P90195727-highRes.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  158.9 KB

Moscow (RU), 29th August 2015. Two BMW drivers made it onto the podium in race 11 of the DTM season in Moscow (RU): pole-sitter Marco Wittmann (DE) of BMW Team RMG led for most of the race in the Ice-Watch BMW M4 DTM, but was passed by Pascal Wehrlein (DE, Mercedes) in the final few minutes of the race after an enthralling battle. The reigning DTM champion eventually came home second. BMW Team MTEK driver Bruno Spengler (CA, BMW Bank M4 DTM) finished third, courtesy of an impressive overtaking manoeuvre in the final corner.

DTM rookie Tom Blomqvist (GB, BMW M4 DTM) was also in the points in eighth place. António Félix da Costa (PT), at the wheel of the Red Bull BMW M4 DTM, came home just outside the points in 11th. Augusto Farfus (BR, Shell BMW M4 DTM), Martin Tomczyk (DE, BMW M Performance Parts M4 DTM) and Maxime Martin (BE, SAMSUNG BMW M4 DTM) finished 15th, 17th and 18th. Timo Glock (DE, DEUTSCHE POST BMW M4 DTM) failed to finish after crashing out as a result of a collision with Mattias Ekström (SE, Audi) while running fourth.

Reactions to the eleventh race of the 2015 DTM season.

Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director): “That was an exciting race with a great and fair battle at the head of the field. Marco Wittmann was able to defend his lead until just before the finish and ultimately came home in an impressive second place. Bruno Spengler fought his way onto the podium with a sensational overtaking manoeuvre on the final lap, like the one we saw at the Norisring. Tom Blomqvist also came away with some points following his best DTM qualifying result so far. It is a shame for Timo Glock, who was involved in a collision, through no fault of his own, which brought his race to a premature end. We are happy to have two cars on the podium and are looking forward to what we hope will be an equally exciting race tomorrow. Congratulations to Pascal Wehrlein and Mercedes-Benz on their win.”

Marco Wittmann (BMW Team RMG, 2nd): “I had a good start and was initially able to defend my lead well. Unfortunately, I was not able to get outside the DRS window. When Pascal Wehrlein started to attack me, it was soon apparent that I would not have a chance against him. Even with the use of DRS once he had passed me, I was not able to go with him. Therefore, I am obviously happy with second place, even though I would obviously have preferred to have won from pole.”

Facts and Figures.

Circuit/length/duration:

Moscow Raceway, 4.326 kilometres, 40 minutes plus 1 lap

Conditions:
Cloudy, 20 degrees Celsius

BMW Motorsport results:
#1 Marco Wittmann (DE), BMW Team RMG, Ice-Watch BMW M4 DTM – 2nd
#7 Bruno Spengler (CA), BMW Team MTEK, BMW Bank M4 DTM – 3rd
#31 Tom Blomqvist (GB), BMW Team RBM, BMW M4 DTM – 8th
#13 António Félix da Costa (PT), BMW Team Schnitzer, Red Bull BMW M4 DTM – 11th
#18 Augusto Farfus (BR), BMW Team RBM, Shell BMW M4 DTM – 15th
#77 Martin Tomczyk (DE), BMW Team Schnitzer, BMW M Performance Parts M4 DTM – 17th
#36 Maxime Martin (BE), BMW Team RMG, SAMSUNG BMW M4 DTM – 18th
#16 Timo Glock (DE), BMW Team MTEK, DEUTSCHE POST BMW M4 DTM – DNF

Useful information:
The BMW M4 Coupé DTM Safety Car made an appearance for six laps following a crash involving Miguel Molina (ES, Audi) and Christian Vietoris (DE, Mercedes) in the first corner.

Timo Glock retired on lap 12 following a collision with Mattias Ekström. The Swede, who led the Drivers’ Championship, was also unable to continue. The BMW M4 Coupé DTM Safety Car returned to the track as a result of the crash.

Marco Wittmann surrendered the lead to Pascal Wehrlein on lap 21. The Mercedes driver passed the reigning DTM champion when braking at the end of the long straight.

Bruno Spengler overtook Jamie Green (GB, Audi) in the very last corner to climb into third place.
Victory sees Pascal Wehrlein return to the top of the standings in the Drivers’ Championship.
The second qualifying session begins at 13.25 local time on Sunday. Before that, the 15-minute warm-up is scheduled for 11.10 local time.

Name:  P90195716-highRes.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  160.6 KB

Name:  P90195724-highRes.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  P90195726-highRes.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  152.9 KB

Name:  P90195727-highRes.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  158.9 KB

Name:  P90195732-highRes.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  177.9 KB

Name:  P90195736-highRes.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  111.9 KB

Name:  P90195737-highRes.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  107.8 KB

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #2
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Not the best weekend, but a good haul of points. Miracles do happen...
Appreciate 0