BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Mod-Tolerant Dealers

01-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Mod-Tolerant Dealers

I've been searching but haven't found any real discussion on this. I thought about broaching the subject with my usual SA at my local dealer as I've been "his" for about six years now, but the pessimist in me just worries that he'll say don't do it and then flag my account for checks in the future. I'm not planning any visible mods, if you know what I mean, but I'm also not wild about paying over the odds for a certain mod provider with their own warranty...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
It's case by case\luck\SA...

I asked my SA before doing any mods if they would void warranty, he basically said only if the mod could be to blame for the problem. Now, that statement could be interpretd very differently by dif people...Theoretically different size\weight\offset wheels and tires could affect suspenstion, steering, load on drivetrain etc..in reality we all know thats mostly BS.

Personally I have never had an issue ...I got a brand new tranny at 35k miles without even asking because I told my SA how it popped violently out of 1st gear "a few times" and I just wanted to be on record early in case it got worse. Literally 2 days later I had a brand new transmission, tranny mounts, etc. I even had a short shifter at the time.

I bring my car in tuned, catless, lowered and warranty has covered everything.
Others have gotten voided due to aftermarket rear section exhaust.

PS I ALWAYS generously tip my SA, some would say too generous. But if you do the math, even $1,000 over a year is nothing compared to over 20k in covered parts and labor that a tech couldve justified denying.

Talk to your SA...He won't "flag" anything. If he seems "antimod", bring it somewhere else.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
I've been searching but haven't found any real discussion on this. I thought about broaching the subject with my usual SA at my local dealer as I've been "his" for about six years now, but the pessimist in me just worries that he'll say don't do it and then flag my account for checks in the future. I'm not planning any visible mods, if you know what I mean, but I'm also not wild about paying over the odds for a certain mod provider with their own warranty...
There is none. Every situation is simply handled differently.

Surefire way is remove mods before going to dealership or don't mod at all. Some simple bolt-on items will fly under the radar.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
There is none. Every situation is simply handled differently.

Surefire way is remove mods before going to dealership or don't mod at all. Some simple bolt-on items will fly under the radar.
I haven't had trouble with bolt-on's at the dealership.

The only time that I've ever seen them give anyone a hard time was around ECU upgrades as related to engine failures.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #5
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I haven't had trouble with bolt-on's at the dealership.

The only time that I've ever seen them give anyone a hard time was around ECU upgrades as related to engine failures.
Like DKM3Power said above my post, it's luck. Some cars have been denied coverage even on the smallest of mods, some don't. Its not like our cars are frequent visitors to for dealer maintenance, it's best to remove any questionable mods to keep the odds in your favor.

Or DIY maintenance items (or independent repair shops) and save the big stuff for the dealers.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #6
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi 6spd

Generally not up to the service advisor. It will be left to the tech/team leader or foreman.

For example I'm a master tech and when we get cars with tunes we can try to remedy their problem but if we keep going in circles after trying to fix we have to contact the customer and ask them to remove and then bring back to retest. Only have had a few cars that required this but we do get alot of tuned cars at my dealer. Suspension, wheels, brakes, body modifications we definitely tolerate but if it is noise related we may ask to return to the installer after spending some time with it or we need to install OEM first.

We have an e64 that has scissor doors and multiple interior modifications that had a draw just last week that we diagnosed and fixed with no issues as far as warranty was concerned

I've removed sound systems at the customers dime to diagnose a draw come to find out but was the system causing it. Same with HID fogs on an e70 (don't remember what the little heat sinks were called but they drew alot of amperage)

It's going to depend on your complaint and what you have done. If you have no cats and a CEL but no tune, don't waste there time and yours. Or if you have a rattle but are straight piped we may turn you away as well.

Like stated case by case just don't be an asshole.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Like DKM3Power said above my post, it's luck. Some cars have been denied coverage even on the smallest of mods, some don't. Its not like our cars are frequent visitors to for dealer maintenance, it's best to remove any questionable mods to keep the odds in your favor.

Or DIY maintenance items (or independent repair shops) and save the big stuff for the dealers.
It's not pure luck. It is building a relationship with your SA and the SM. My M6 is heavily modified. I had a rod bearing failure with a list of mods longer than you arm and they didn't blink to cover the replacement.

FYI...
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension.
Dinan CF Rear Upper Stress Bar.
Dinan Cold Air Intake
RPI Ram air induction system
Tubi X-Pipe
Tubi Rumore Section 3
AC Schnitzer Front Billet Aluminum Upper Stress Bar,
and more.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not pure luck. It is building a relationship with your SA and the SM. My M6 is heavily modified. I had a rod bearing failure with a list of mods longer than you arm and they didn't blink to cover the replacement.

FYI...
Dinan Cold Air Intake
Tubi X-Pipe
Tubi Rumore Section 3
and more.
Sometimes money is king. A s85 brings the dealer alot of money and from their perspective I don't see an intake causing a rod bearing failure (not normal for them to disassemble so I guarantee they don't know what actually failed) BMW doesn't tear down that far. Very rare. We've done two like this because there was thousands of dollars previously sent trying to diagnose
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

FYI...
Dinan Cold Air Intake
Tubi X-Pipe
Tubi Rumore Section 3
and more.
Sometimes money is king. A s85 brings the dealer alot of money and from my opinion I don't see an intake causing a rod bearing failure nor can they really prove it (not normal for them to disassemble so I guarantee they don't know what actually failed) BMW doesn't tear down that far. Very rare. We've done two like this because there was thousands of dollars previously sent trying to diagnose

Most likely the engineer read out ghost faults and checked for over rev with a video of the noise. It's that simple to get a motor
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 10:21 PM   #10
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

FYI...
Dinan Cold Air Intake
Tubi X-Pipe
Tubi Rumore Section 3
and more.
It's great you were covered, but your situation doesn't guarantee everyone will have similar results.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #11
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abax335 View Post
Generally not up to the service advisor. It will be left to the tech/team leader or foreman.

For example I'm a master tech and when we get cars with tunes we can try to remedy their problem but if we keep going in circles after trying to fix we have to contact the customer and ask them to remove and then bring back to retest. Only have had a few cars that required this but we do get alot of tuned cars at my dealer. Suspension, wheels, brakes, body modifications we definitely tolerate but if it is noise related we may ask to return to the installer after spending some time with it or we need to install OEM first.

We have an e64 that has scissor doors and multiple interior modifications that had a draw just last week that we diagnosed and fixed with no issues as far as warranty was concerned

I've removed sound systems at the customers dime to diagnose a draw come to find out but was the system causing it. Same with HID fogs on an e70 (don't remember what the little heat sinks were called but they drew alot of amperage)

It's going to depend on your complaint and what you have done. If you have no cats and a CEL but no tune, don't waste there time and yours. Or if you have a rattle but are straight piped we may turn you away as well.

Like stated case by case just don't be an asshole.
This is the best advice.
Not being an asshole (with the caveat-until absolutely necessary) is the best general advice in life.

I've seen BMW owners behave in the worse possible around service. Sadly, it has been 1st time BMW customers who have no idea what it takes to maintain the car or how much repairs cost.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #12
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

Quote:
This is the best advice.
Not being an asshole (with the caveat-until absolutely necessary) is the best general advice in life.

I've seen BMW owners behave in the worse possible around service. Sadly, it has been 1st time BMW customers who have no idea what it takes to maintain the car or how much repairs cost.
All of this. Being nice is appreciated and rewarded. Service advisors see a lot of jerks in a course of a day. Last week I was at BMW Gallery Norwood. I just needed the piece of silver trim between the rows of window switches replaced. It took longer than expected, but the SA gave me a loaner so I could make a meeting on time. I then walk to the breezeway where they receive cars. A woman was throwing a hissy fit because her husband dropped the cap to an oil bottle and it was rolling around in her undertray. The techs were just rolling their eyes and telling her 4+ hours.

I did ask my SA once about Dinan and other mods. She said that if its up to her she can sweep it under the rug, but if it is something bigger and the foremen or the manager get involved its up to the dealership or corporate and all bets are off.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #13
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph914 View Post
All of this. Being nice is appreciated and rewarded. Service advisors see a lot of jerks in a course of a day. Last week I was at BMW Gallery Norwood. I just needed the piece of silver trim between the rows of window switches replaced. It took longer than expected, but the SA gave me a loaner so I could make a meeting on time. I then walk to the breezeway where they receive cars. A woman was throwing a hissy fit because her husband dropped the cap to an oil bottle and it was rolling around in her undertray. The techs were just rolling their eyes and telling her 4+ hours.

I did ask my SA once about Dinan and other mods. She said that if its up to her she can sweep it under the rug, but if it is something bigger and the foremen or the manager get involved its up to the dealership or corporate and all bets are off.
I saw the same pathetic display from a woman who was given an i3 as her loaner. She was going on and on about how horrible it was relative to her personal vehicle so I was thinking that she had a 750 or M6 GC...it was an X1. Now don't get me wrong...the X1 is a fine vehicle but it is not worth throwing a fit about the free, $40K car you are getting to drive around while your car is getting repaired. In fact, no vehicle is worth this behavior. Sheesh.

They often apologize about giving me a 2 or 3 but I always tell them, no sweat..thanks for giving me the option of not being stuck at the dealership or being schlepped to my house to grab another car thereby giving me another logistical challenge.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #14
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

All good advice. Thanks, everyone!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #15
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
It depends on the dealership. Talk to your SA - they want to keep you happy and coming back. I always remove my tune (was JB4, now custom PTF map) before taking it in. I was upfront that the car was lowered with a Bilstein B12 Pro kit (e.g., it wasn't some no name ebay suspension kit). I also haven't gone FBO since I have an extended warranty - no DP, no intake, etc. I do have an FMIC but hey, I'm in Texas.
      01-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #16
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

It depends on several things - the dealership, the SA, the Service Manager, and the techs. I got so lucky when I bought the car because one of my good friends just happened to be a SA at the dealership I bought my car. He ran awesome interference for me; needless to say the first few years of ownership was fun and fearless for me lol

You have to be smart about it too. Like don't go in saying your charge pipe is cracked while you have a JB4 and back end flash installed lol

If you've known your SA for 6 years, and think he's cool, I'd probably try to bring it up in a casual conversation and see how he reacts. If he goes on some tirade about how people always bring modded cars in bla bla bla, well, then you have your answer. Use your negotiation SKILLS!
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #17
AMGSlayer
Private
Rep
Drives: Quick

In five dealerships across the country (CA, HI, AZ, FL, VA) I've never once had an issue with having warranty repairs done to a modified car.

Even had an engine issue fixed with a supercharger and aftermarket tuner sitting in the trunk. They didn't even blink.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 08:20 PM   #18
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Great threat - thanks!

Any experience with Crevier in Orange County - PM if more comfortable.

Thinking of just a tune and a bit paranoid. Have CPO+Warr+Maint.
Appreciate 0