BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Track Day Question and Share

11-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Track Day Question and Share

Since I am still a newbie when it comes to track day, I have one quick question. Of course any reply is much appreciated.

Someone gave me a ride along in a Honda NSX. One first laps he lightly dab on the brake two or three times at places where it doesn't seem necessary (the braking was not felt.) Does anyone know why he is doing it? I asked and his answer was he was just mimicking whoever taught him to drive competitively. All I can come up with is he's making sure there is no air in the brake line, but that seemed wrong.

Recently I learned/found out,

1. During braking tests (done with a Civic), the braking distances seem to be the same whether I brake while downshifting, versus if I just focus on braking. I, however, still downshift sequentially because it reduces opportunity of my mis-shifting. Btw thanks to people on this forum to advise me to get better/practice with heel-and-toe.

2. Sit upright. I tend to lean too much inside the car. When this happens it makes the driver tired more easily, vision is compromised and the optimal line is not followed, and the time suffers. I am sure this is trivial to others, but then just in case there are people who are new to track days. The same idea applies in karting, but I guess the karting seats are more supportive.

3. Get fit. I lost some weight to see if my driving would improve, well I don't get tired as easily and am able to focus longer. This helps in karting big time, though.

My car is fully stock, and I have only participated in few track days. I hope the above experiences help somebody. They do not cost anything, and I appreciate your feedbacks.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Here is the answer to why the NSX driver keeps tapping the brakes:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su.../pad-knockback

It can also be useful when driving in the rain, to clear the water off the brake discs. I think I have read that the F20 actually does this automatically from time to time, based on the rain sensor, to keep the brakes dry.
Appreciate 0