BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Climate Control Knurled Wheel (blue/red wheel)?

02-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Bruno28
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i F20 M-Sport

Climate Control Knurled Wheel (blue/red wheel)?

Whats this Knurled wheel for varying the temperature?
Towards blue: cooler
Towards red: Warmer

Whats the point of this?
It contradicts the temperature selector doesn't it?
Attached Images

Last edited by Bruno28; 02-13-2013 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

I also, have never really seen a need for this, especially with the dual zone climate control. It does work, if you set your cabin temperature high, then play with the knob; the central blowers change temperature.

I can only see that this would be useful, say if you had blowers on the window on hot, but you wanted a cooler temp on your face. The same knob should exist for the back seat passengers also. I cant help but wonder if you were to set this to cold when your blowers are trying to blow hot, then close some of the other vents, that the car would keep competing with itself.

With saying all this tho, the automatic dual zone climate control is fantastic, im currently in a rental (116i sport) and really miss this system - am constantly having to adjust the dials where as usually i just leave it set to say 21 degrees on auto
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
Bruno28
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
I cant help but wonder if you were to set this to cold when your blowers are trying to blow hot, then close some of the other vents, that the car would keep competing with itself.
I thought the same thing :/
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post
Whats the point of this?
It contradicts the temperature selector doesn't it?
IMO, as along time BMW driver, this is one of the best features of any Climate Control system. You can set up the car for ultimate comfort, (dialled in temperatures) and then just 'fine tune' the air flow temperature to the face level. Remember it is still a blended temperature and does modify on the fly, particularly if you are setting it around the mid position, well inside the extremes. I don't know about the 1-series, but in 3 & 5-series cars the driver usually gets a slightly cooler face level temperature, compared to the passenger. Just right to keep you alert when driving long trips.

In my experience, CC is best when using the full auto setup, then just tweak the face level temperature to personal requirements.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I cant help but wonder if you were to set this to cold when your blowers are trying to blow hot, then close some of the other vents, that the car would keep competing with itself.
Closing vents only messes with Climate Control.

I've used these systems for years and there is no conflict if using auto and having all vents open. One thing is very clear, it is well thought out. For example, if you have the face vents set to a cooler temperature (towards blue) and you are in a heat up cycle the air flow is warmer, it adjusts as you get a warm cabin, so no chilled face in a cold car. Pretty clever really, as you don't need to touch, once you set a car up to your requirements.

Do you have airflow intensity setting in the 1-series Climate Control? (It's a key setting for auto mode and air flow rates). If so, that also is an important setting to get the most comfortable cabin and having airflows to personal taste.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 125d

Garage List
Really cold days it's on red. Really hot days, blue, rest of time mid way between the two. Sorted...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawia View Post
Really cold days it's on red. Really hot days, blue, rest of time mid way between the two. Sorted...
+1

I very rarely have to change the system, leave it in Auto - all vents open, A/C off and set to 21/22 degrees, job done!! Anyone know what the air re-circulation A and M actually do, i have no lights on in that section.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Quote:
Anyone know what the air re-circulation A and M actually do, i have no lights on in that section.
I think that when you select "A", the ECU decides when the car needs air recirculation or not. When you select "M", there is always air recirculation inside the cabin even if the quality of air is degraded.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thats interesting, i wonder how it detects that the cabin air has 'degraded', but as you say its got to be the only reasonable explanation for the two modes. Im used to just hitting the recirculation button when behind a car that chucks out black smoke the first time i did that in the F20, i was like 'wth'
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Quote:
Thats interesting, i wonder how it detects that the cabin air has 'degraded', but as you say its got to be the only reasonable explanation for the two modes.
Well, maybe the ECU calculates the time duration of the air recirculated inside the cabin, fan speed and, according to those values - plus maybe some time interval presets - it decides whether it is time to bring some fresh air inside... Just a guess...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
+1

I very rarely have to change the system, leave it in Auto - all vents open, A/C off and set to 21/22 degrees, job done!! Anyone know what the air re-circulation A and M actually do, i have no lights on in that section.
Automatic re-circulation is sensing the outside air and switches to re-circulation while in bad fumes and poor air quality. There is a 'sniffer' sensor actively working while in A (auto-mode). Detects a whole range of pollutants. It does regulate the re-circulation time, to prevent fogging if necessary.

Leave on A and you shouldn't need to touch the re-circulation button when you hit poor air quality.

It's a good bit of kit, particularly if you are sensitive to diesel fumes and the like. Works in addition to the charcoal filter in the HVAC air intake.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thats interesting, i wonder how it detects that the cabin air has 'degraded', but as you say its got to be the only reasonable explanation for the two modes. Im used to just hitting the recirculation button when behind a car that chucks out black smoke the first time i did that in the F20, i was like 'wth'
Use A on the re-circulation and you shouldn't need to hit the button at all. 99% of the time it is faster than you will be at detecting fumes.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto

What about the 'A/C cool' button? That must be always on even in cold days? Then the system decides if the A/C will really engage or not(?) I think that's the reason why when you press the 'Auto' button the 'A/C cool' button also lit.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gras View Post
What about the 'A/C cool' button? That must be always on even in cold days? Then the system decides if the A/C will really engage or not(?) I think that's the reason why when you press the 'Auto' button the 'A/C cool' button also lit.
Yes if you want air conditioning. I use the full system even in winter, A/C for dehumidifying and a dry car is more important in damp climates, than using the A/C function for cooling in summer months. Modern variable output compressors use very little power on cooler days, really just ticking over. It is on hot days A/C works hard and uses measureable fuel. Plus it does a system good to use it, less faults and no bacterial growth and smells in the system.

Prevents misting and fogging and the Climate Control can just get on and do its job. Been discussing this subject on another forum and many users don't realise you can just leave it to do its work, without touching any of the buttons and temperature dials, or touching the A/C function. Many use the manual controls and get misting and general discomfort. Seems to defeat the purpose of Climate Control if we meddle to much.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I didn't know that about the ac using little to no fuel on cool days, makes sense now u mention it, and I totally agree about how good the auto ac system is, I rarely have to touch it. I always use ac when demisting the car, since ac is a dehumidifier aswell it absorbs the condensation, a lot of ppl just think ac is a cooling system!! Not had a need for the ac max button yet, hit it by accident one day and noticed it started blasting freezing air at me, then I noticed the 16 degrees temp: will come in handy in the summer! As for the auto button, that does wonders as you say
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto

That's true. Set the temp you like and nothing more. Only turn the knob in red color when it's really cold outside and to blue in summer. That's it, everything else in Auto function including A/C and air recirculating.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

You people should read your manual, or ask questions at the dealership when getting the keys to your car

Now, with the AC settings, you can control the (desired) temperature inside the car, and the AC will vary the temperature of the air it blows through (all) the vents, trying to obtain and maintain the temperaure you set.

The blue/red wheel serves to vary the temperature of the air blowing through the vents that are pointed directly at you, but does not influence the AC set temperature that your AC tries to reach.

So the blue/red wheel is for personal comfort. For example the AC is blowing cold air, but you get a chill and can turn the wheel towards the red, so the air flowing straight at you will be less cold, but the overal (set/preferred) temperature did not change.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #18
Bruno28
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
You people should read your manual, or ask questions at the dealership when getting the keys to your car

Now, with the AC settings, you can control the (desired) temperature inside the car, and the AC will vary the temperature of the air it blows through (all) the vents, trying to obtain and maintain the temperaure you set.

The blue/red wheel serves to vary the temperature of the air blowing through the vents that are pointed directly at you, but does not influence the AC set temperature that your AC tries to reach.

So the blue/red wheel is for personal comfort. For example the AC is blowing cold air, but you get a chill and can turn the wheel towards the red, so the air flowing straight at you will be less cold, but the overal (set/preferred) temperature did not change.

Hope this helps.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0