BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Winter wheel/Tyre Change - Will this require any change to set up of car?

10-31-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
Kitts32
Rep
Drives: 116D

Winter wheel/Tyre Change - Will this require any change to set up of car?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get some winter wheels/tyres, wanted to check if I can change between wheel/tyre sets without having to make any technical changes to the set-up of the car. Apologies if this is a really dumb question.

I currently run the standard factory fit rear 245/35-R18, front 225/40-R18 tyres.

I'm thinking of buy a set of bmw 16inch alloys with 205/55-R16 conti winter tyres.

Both these tyres will have different diameters and circumferences sizes so I’m concerned my speedo will give me incorrect readings and it may have other effects to the set-up of the car, like fuel economy or handling etc? bmw actually sell this wheel/tyre combination and say its compatible with my car, so I want to know if it is a case of simply swop the them over and your good to go? or if you need to change some setting or something to factor in the change in tyre/wheel size?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

You vill have to recalibrate the tyre diameter in the iDrive in the vehicle status screen. The car does this by itself, but you have to initialize the process.

The handling of the car will change slightly, as the winter tyres behave more sluggishly. Somewhat less stability at high speed, slower steering response, and more forgiving at the limit.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Kitts32
Rep

Thanks for the reply.

Im guessing it's the tyre pressure fuction your referring to?

I had a play with this function while driving home today. it didn't do anything of course because the wheels haven't changed yet but I'm glad it's a simple thing to set up.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 02:34 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

You can initialize the tyre pressure feature (which is really supervising the tyre diameter) anytime you want, as long as the ignition is on, and the car is standing still.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 04:10 AM   #5
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Stick with the BMW Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitts32 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get some winter wheels/tyres, wanted to check if I can change between wheel/tyre sets without having to make any technical changes to the set-up of the car. Apologies if this is a really dumb question.

I currently run the standard factory fit rear 245/35-R18, front 225/40-R18 tyres.

I'm thinking of buy a set of bmw 16inch alloys with 205/55-R16 conti winter tyres.

Both these tyres will have different diameters and circumferences sizes so I’m concerned my speedo will give me incorrect readings and it may have other effects to the set-up of the car, like fuel economy or handling etc? bmw actually sell this wheel/tyre combination and say its compatible with my car, so I want to know if it is a case of simply swop the them over and your good to go? or if you need to change some setting or something to factor in the change in tyre/wheel size?

Thanks in advance

Hi there,

As long as you stick with BMW's recommended tyre sizes you will be fine. While the rim diameter reduces from 18' to 16', you'll notice that the aspect ratio (height/width) is bigger, meaning that your tyres have deeper sidewalls.....in other words, while the inside diameter is smaller, the outside diameter and therefore circumference are the same.

All you'll need to do is re-initialize your tyre monitor as ovekvam mentioned and you're good to go.

Just to note that using non-standard tyre sizes with different diameter and circumference will screw up your speedo readings and change your final gearing slightly.

Good winter tyres like Continentals offer a slightly plusher ride (more sidewall compliance), less sharp steering and ultimately less dry weather grip, all of which you'll hardly notice due to the poorer road conditions that generally prevail during winter. In the poorer road surface conditions they'll offer improvements in both grip and braking, which is exactly the point of winter tyres.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

You will notice the ride is softer with the taller sidewalls, even if the winters are runflats. I run the 16" steel wheel and use the BMW store and fit service, the steels also feel noticeably heavier than my 18" alloy set.

May still be a few weeks before I consider booking in to swap as it was 20c here yesterday.
      11-02-2014, 03:59 AM   #7
Kitts32
Rep

Nice one, thanks for the responses guys.

I will most likely buy wheel tyre set. Now in a weird way i'll be hoping the weather turns nasty to see what the tyres can do!

Final question.. do you guys run your winter tyres at the same pressures as summer tyres?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 04:50 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitts32 View Post
Final question.. do you guys run your winter tyres at the same pressures as summer tyres?
I do. I sometimes lower the pressures a bit on really slippery days.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Correct Tyre Pressures

The correct tyre pressures for the different tyre sizes should be listed on the label inside the door or fuel flap.
Appreciate 0