BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 218i vs 116i

11-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

218i vs 116i

Today I had a drive in a 218i Active Tourer, to compare it to our 116i. On paper these cars have some similarities, with the same power output and torque. Both cars with 6 speed manual transmission, and both equipped with M-Sport suspension.

My main reason to test it, was to see what the new 3 cylinder engine was like, and to see how well BMW has implemented front wheel drive.

The engine sounds better than the inline four in the F20, but they both have a noticeable and annoying turbo lag. The 3 cylinder engine is perhaps slightly more responsive. It also feels stronger at high RPM, where the F20 runs out of breath close to the redline. Both engines are set up to pull strongly at very low RPM.

The gearbox was a pleasant surprise. The throw is significantly shorter, and the 218i has automatic rev matching that works surprisingly well. I am old enough to know how to do this manually, but enjoyed letting the car do it. It was both quicker and more precise than I could have done it.

So far, the 218i is easily ahead.

But it has some flaws. It feels top heavy and less sporty to drive. The driving position is also too high, and the sport seats are not as good as in the F20. The new steering wheel (also used in new F20/F21) felt cheaper to touch, but I liked that the rim was less thick. It also looks better than the old one.

The steering does not have any pull when front wheels break traction, like older FWD cars had. It does of course have some understeer under power, and the steering feel is rather vague on the limit compared to the F20, but not bad for a FWD car.

The suspension seemed to be harsher than in the F20, and there was slightly more road noise, but this could all be caused by the run flat tyres the car was equipped with. I don't have that on the F20.

The brake pedal was more sensitive than in the F20, needing a lighter touch. I can't say that one is better than the other, it is more a matter of habit. You'll get used to it. I didn't get to push the car to see what the brakes are good for when they get really warm.

As on all newer BMWs, the blinker stalk is a bit awkward. To indicate left-right in a roundabout, you need three actions. On most non-BMWs, two is enough.

So my verdict is that the car is not bad, but I prefer the F20. Looking forward to the new 3 cylinder engine in the facelift version, and I hope it has the auto rev matching. (And I usually don't like automatic stuff)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Nice review thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Interesting. My wife has this on the list to replace her Golf GTD (she'd have mk7 GTD in a heartbeat, but VW in Australia has decided not to sell them here). She likes diesel torque, so I'm thinking she'll go for the 218d.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I forgot to mention that the 218i does not have a mechanical handbrake lever like the F20 does. It is replaced by a button, activating the handbrake electronically. Thats means it can not be used for turning purposes.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #5
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Eew electronic handbrakes are the spawn of the devil, the Merc ones especially.

I'll not have a car with one.
      11-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
It is replaced by a button, activating the handbrake electronically.
The A6 I used to use at work had an electronic handbrake which was awesomely difficult to make sense of how you actually used it... so glad that's now a part of my history
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
electronic handbrakes are the spawn of the devil
      11-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I noticed that the A pillar was blocking more of the view in the 218i than the F20. I sometimes had to move my head to see where I was going in left hand corners.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam
I noticed that the A pillar was blocking more of the view in the 218i than the F20. I sometimes had to move my head to see where I was going in left hand corners.
This seems to be an increasing design issue with many cars, probably due to safety design requirements. I noticed this in the new MINI Cooper S that I test drove recently (researching for my wife, of course 😏
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #9
oeron
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW (F20) 118i M 2013

It is interresting that the engine sounds better despite 3 cylinder, quite a suprise as a result of downsizing. I'm asking myself how many horses they'll get out of this engine for the new 118i or 320i ED?

Last edited by oeron; 11-17-2014 at 01:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeron View Post
It is interresting that the engine sounds better despite 3 cylinder, quite a suprise as a result of downsizing. I'm asking myself how many horses they'll get out of this engine for the new 118i or 320i ED?
I have noticed that in other car brands as well. 3-cylinder engines generally sound better than fours. They have a bit of the same song as the six cylinder engines. Five cylinder engines sound even better.

As for the power potential of the 3 cylinder engine, it has 231 hp in the i8.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 02:40 AM   #11
oeron
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW (F20) 118i M 2013

Good point, i kept that in mind as well, but i guess all the other models with 1,5 lt engine are going to have less power then i8. Considering that 225i Active tourer with 2.0 lt has 231 HP, i8 should be an exception

I don't have much experience with 3 or 5 cylinder engines, really interesting what you've mentioned. I always thought the more cylinders the proper sounds the engine
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 03:17 AM   #12
ahmet
Rep
Drives: Fiat 500

Quote:
Today I had a drive in a 218i Active Tourer, to compare it to our 116i. On paper these cars have some similarities, with the same power output and torque. Both cars with 6 speed manual transmission, and both equipped with M-Sport suspension.

My main reason to test it, was to see what the new 3 cylinder engine was like, and to see how well BMW has implemented front wheel drive.

The engine sounds better than the inline four in the F20, but they both have a noticeable and annoying turbo lag. The 3 cylinder engine is perhaps slightly more responsive. It also feels stronger at high RPM, where the F20 runs out of breath close to the redline. Both engines are set up to pull strongly at very low RPM.

The gearbox was a pleasant surprise. The throw is significantly shorter, and the 218i has automatic rev matching that works surprisingly well. I am old enough to know how to do this manually, but enjoyed letting the car do it. It was both quicker and more precise than I could have done it.

So far, the 218i is easily ahead.

But it has some flaws. It feels top heavy and less sporty to drive. The driving position is also too high, and the sport seats are not as good as in the F20. The new steering wheel (also used in new F20/F21) felt cheaper to touch, but I liked that the rim was less thick. It also looks better than the old one.

The steering does not have any pull when front wheels break traction, like older FWD cars had. It does of course have some understeer under power, and the steering feel is rather vague on the limit compared to the F20, but not bad for a FWD car.

The suspension seemed to be harsher than in the F20, and there was slightly more road noise, but this could all be caused by the run flat tyres the car was equipped with. I don't have that on the F20.

The brake pedal was more sensitive than in the F20, needing a lighter touch. I can't say that one is better than the other, it is more a matter of habit. You'll get used to it. I didn't get to push the car to see what the brakes are good for when they get really warm.

As on all newer BMWs, the blinker stalk is a bit awkward. To indicate left-right in a roundabout, you need three actions. On most non-BMWs, two is enough.

So my verdict is that the car is not bad, but I prefer the F20. Looking forward to the new 3 cylinder engine in the facelift version, and I hope it has the auto rev matching. (And I usually don't like automatic stuff)

Personally I really do not like FWD cars so I am sad BMW has even considered making one = (
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #13
ttimbo
Major
Rep

I rented a 3 cyl Opel Corsa in Italy a few years ago, and loved the engine noise of that thing. It howled...didn't move very fast, but the accompanying soundtrack provided was some compensation.

As to FWD BMWs, i think we've heard it all. The active tourer is not for RWD fans; that's very clear. As to other models, it BMW's business decision -- if they don't sell, perhaps that will give them a message. But the reality is that the majority of drivers nowadays have no idea whether their car is FWD or RWD, nor do they care. Shocking but true!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 01:34 AM   #14
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the 218i does not have a mechanical handbrake lever like the F20 does. It is replaced by a button, activating the handbrake electronically. Thats means it can not be used for turning purposes.

Yep, I agree, this worries me to think that BMW is now looking to produce cars that appeal to a market sector of people who are not 'drivers' but want a BMW badge.

Let us hope that the BMW boffins do not forget what makes BMW a BMW (a drivers car) when considering their next models.
Appreciate 0