BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 118i M Sport - Cold Start Rattle

12-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #23
marilenamr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 116i

Hi all, I have an 116i automatic 21k miles 2012. Cold start, 30 seconds of infernal rattle, sounds like a tractor, a cheap one. Such a disappointment with BMW, they classify it as being normal. What a pile of crap! Now the rattle starts when I am driving on a hill and accelerate. I bought the car at 17k miles, and the drive train warning lights came on and disappeared, and then back again and off so I took the car to BMW garage, they updated my software and replace my VANOS. In order to find whats that rattle coming from when I drive on hills I have to do another diagnose, and it might not come up as it doesn't always rattles.
Even dad's Ford sounds better!(half the price of mine)
I am not investing more money in this car which was a complete disappointment and moving on to Mercedes or Audi.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #24
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilenamr View Post
Hi all, I have an 116i automatic 21k miles 2012. Cold start, 30 seconds of infernal rattle, sounds like a tractor, a cheap one. Such a disappointment with BMW, they classify it as being normal. What a pile of crap! Now the rattle starts when I am driving on a hill and accelerate. I bought the car at 17k miles, and the drive train warning lights came on and disappeared, and then back again and off so I took the car to BMW garage, they updated my software and replace my VANOS. In order to find whats that rattle coming from when I drive on hills I have to do another diagnose, and it might not come up as it doesn't always rattles.
I am not investing more money in this car which was a complete disappointment and moving on to Mercedes or Audi.
Mercedes has 1.6 Renault engines from what I remember.
Premium manufacturers usually don't put too much effort on the basic models.
With the LCI BMW changed the engines.
There are 3 cyl ones now for the petrol entry level.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 04:58 AM   #25
BMW 116i Urban
Rep
Drives: BMW116I f20

Guys, that valve has her role in the starting process, leave it like that, i have the same situation but i will not modify anything because it was design to work like that.

The 135M has the same problem.
Other noises from the engine you have?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 05:00 AM   #26
BMW 116i Urban
Rep
Drives: BMW116I f20

Chek on Youtube my channel Costi Ariton,

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilenamr View Post

I have a short description about the N13 engine!
Appreciate 0