BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Using Rocky Mounts bike trays on Thule racks

01-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Using Rocky Mounts bike trays on Thule racks

Hi all,

I debated if this should go in the "sports lounge" or here, mods please move if inappropriate.

So I have a couple bicycles and theoretically enjoy riding (I say theoretically because I haven't done it in ages) when I got my E92 I bought a set of Aeroblades, feet, etc. off Craigslist and then decided that since most of my rack was new I'd go ahead and be nice to myself and my car and get some new bike carriers since the ones I have on my old rack are so old that they're not on Thule's web site anymore and predate "lawyer lips" so they're kind of a PITA to use.

Yesterday my RM bike trays showed up, but I finally got around to unpacking them this evening because I was sick as a dog yesterday and today I went back to work (probably a bad call but still.)

Two things: 1) RM is awesome. First their product IMHO is better and cheaper than Thule (I bought my parents the same RM trays years ago, and kept the old busteds for myself.) 2) While if you ask, they will tell you that their lock cores are not compatible with Thule lock cores, I'm pretty sure that's crap. It looks like you can use a Thule lock core in a Rocky Mounts skewer merely by inserting a Thule change key and then taking a dremel or file and filing down the piece of the last tumbler that protrudes out the bottom of the cylinder. It also appears that a RM lock core can be used in a Thule foot pack without modification, but I have not yet confirmed either of those things. I will be definitely playing with this more for reasons to follow. 3) When I asked about using the same trays on both square bars and aero bars (as I have both on different vehicles, which is one of the reasons I'm so interested in using matching Thule keys, because I already have eight matching cylinders) I was told what to order but I horked it up. As soon as I realized what I'd done I called them up and they said "sure just send them back with a copy of the invoice, we'll take care of it." Totally my fault, I asked the question, got the answer, and screwed up the online order myself, but still. Good people!

Edit: the RM lock cores work fine in my Thule equipment BUT the thule "change key" will not remove the lock cores, so if you don't have access to the backside of the lock core, you shouldn't use them. the only application where I can think this would be important would be the old gutter clips, or else a locking hitch pin, but unfortunately I'm using both (I have both a roof rack and a trailer hitch for my Jeep.) It would appear that the best solution would be to buy more Thule lock cylinders and modify them to fit the RM equipment...

Last edited by N8N; 01-11-2013 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0