BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Traction mode

10-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Traction mode

When I press the DSC/DTC button once, the car goes to "Traction mode". Which throttle mapping is it running in this mode? I tried to go from Eco Pro to Traction Mode, and searched though the display computer for those blue bonus kilometer figures, but they were gone. Does that mean it also changed the throttle settings from Eco Pro to Comfort or Sport?

I know I can select Sport+ to get DTC activated with Sport throttle setting, but what if I want Eco Pro throttle with DTC traction?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
You cannot have DTC and EcoPro mode (it goes by default to Comfort). Proabably BMW thinks that when you want DTC, you are in for a spirited drive and thus EcoPro is not needed! When you are in EcoPro mode, your aim is economy so you are not going to drive fast. This is my explanation as to how BMW thinks.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I know I can select Sport+ to get DTC activated with Sport throttle setting, but what if I want Eco Pro throttle with DTC traction?
Got to ask why would you want DTC activated in Eco Pro? Seems like a contradiction in terms to me. Maybe even a conflict in the parameters of how DTC could work in Eco Pro programming.

How I see it, you are asking for a 'dead' throttle, but a bit of 'easy' wheel slip. Where is the torque coming from?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Got to ask why would you want DTC activated in Eco Pro? Seems like a contradiction in terms to me. Maybe even a conflict in the parameters of how DTC could work in Eco Pro programming.

How I see it, you are asking for a 'dead' throttle, but a bit of 'easy' wheel slip. Where is the torque coming from?
HighlandPete
In Sport mode, the throttle pedal is mapped very sensitive. Seems like full throttle at half pedal, and then the rest of the movement does nothing. Eco Pro is the opposite. Lots of pedal movement and not so much difference in power. That is perfect for driving in slippery conditions, searching for grip with the rear tyres, keeping them right at the limit. Easy to do exact pedal modulation.

DTC is nice because it doesn't strangle the engine once you find that limit.

I think there is maybe 90-95 percent of maximum torque available even in Eco Pro mode, but on ice you can get wheelspin at very low torque, so you need to feather the pedals to get going.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
In Sport mode, the throttle pedal is mapped very sensitive. Seems like full throttle at half pedal, and then the rest of the movement does nothing. Eco Pro is the opposite. Lots of pedal movement and not so much difference in power. That is perfect for driving in slippery conditions, searching for grip with the rear tyres, keeping them right at the limit. Easy to do exact pedal modulation.

DTC is nice because it doesn't strangle the engine once you find that limit.

I think there is maybe 90-95 percent of maximum torque available even in Eco Pro mode, but on ice you can get wheelspin at very low torque, so you need to feather the pedals to get going.
Ah! See where you are coming from. Isn't comfort mode going to be pretty close to what you want? Just need to be a little more sensitive with the right foot.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Ah! See where you are coming from. Isn't comfort mode going to be pretty close to what you want? Just need to be a little more sensitive with the right foot.

HighlandPete
Yes, I think Comfort Mode will be okay, but I would have liked to be able to select Eco Pro mode as well. I don't like unnecessary limitations.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
rpagianotto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F22 m235i 8AT

I get why they would mate traction mode to comfort engine mapping.

What I don't get is why they would mate DSC Off mode to comfort engine mapping as well!

After all, i can only see someone turning all driving aids off if they wanted to do some spirited driving. So taming the car when the driver is on his own makes no sense whatsoever, and is really frustrating. Specially considering that they even created an e-diff to simulate an LSD that works only on DSC Off mode!

I really wish that I could have sport+ throttle response and transmission behavior when I turned the driving aids completely off...

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I agree that DSC Off mode only makes sense with the Sport mapping.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
BMW-RaceR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagianotto View Post
I get why they would mate traction mode to comfort engine mapping.

What I don't get is why they would mate DSC Off mode to comfort engine mapping as well!

After all, i can only see someone turning all driving aids off if they wanted to do some spirited driving. So taming the car when the driver is on his own makes no sense whatsoever, and is really frustrating. Specially considering that they even created an e-diff to simulate an LSD that works only on DSC Off mode!

I really wish that I could have sport+ throttle response and transmission behavior when I turned the driving aids completely off...

+1 I reacted on that on my test drive... Really noticeble when both the accelerator and steering wheel got less responsive..

Did not use time to check if it was possible to change in the iDrive tough..
Chris harris mentioned something about that you could change some settings in the M135 review. Cant remember what at the moment, but not possible to change anything on the low powered models??
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-RaceR View Post
+1 I reacted on that on my test drive... Really noticeble when both the accelerator and steering wheel got less responsive..

Chris harris mentioned something about that you could change some settings in the M135 review. Cant remember what at the moment, but not possible to change anything on the low powered models??
I haven't found anything like that, and I think I have tried all the menus in the iDrive by now. Luckily my steering and suspension are both non active, and thus not affected by drive mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
rpagianotto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F22 m235i 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-RaceR View Post

if I can remember correctly, it is possible to change what the sport and sport+ affect, divided in two categories: drivetrain and chassis.

However, I don't think it's possible to tinker with the DSC Off mapping settings, unfortunately!
Appreciate 0