BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW Wash/Care Solutions

10-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #23
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 118d performance

shame on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post
I guess people out there are busy caring for their cars

Anyway, here are my detailing habits:
I deliver the car for Ditec paint protection a couple of months after new car delivery. After that it only needs an easy treatment once a year in the same detailing shop.
Between the yearly treatments I wash the car myself, mostly once a week, or after 2 weeks if the weather has been nice. This is the way I do it:

1) Luke warm high pressure spray with shampoo. (If the wheels are very dirty I spray them separately with a suitable product first). The high pressure spraying takes 30 minutes, half of it is spent on the wheels, either they are precleaned or not.
I don't forget to spray the rubber floor mats, hanging on the wall.
2) Handwashing the car with a quality microfibre mitt. I use around 15 litres lukewarm water in a bucket, with a good shampoo. The wheels, wheel arcs and exhaust pipes are cleaned separately with a sponge inserted with shampoo. Here goes another 10 litres of lukewarm water.
3) Spraying with high pressure clean and cold water, to get rid of any soap leftovers (I actually do that in two steps - first after washing the body, second after washing the wheels).
4) Spraying the engine compartment with high pressure clean and cold water
5) Drying the car with a microfibre towel, being careful not letting the towel touch the ground or the wheels.
6) Wiping off door and trunk openings with a microfibre cloth

Every second time or at least when needed I extend the washing by:
7) Wiping off the engine and engine compartment with a microfibre cloth (people think I'm insane when the see me doing this)
8) Vacuuming the interior
9) Wiping off all interior surfaces, including windows

Step 1-6 normally takes 1 1/2 - 2 hours, the complete process about 3 hours.
Preferably done Sunday morning on a nearby petrol station
take a lock at detailers club.no.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #24
amberzombie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Hi all
Good to see everyone sharing their ways to help others care for their Ers.
Thanks for all the good advice. My pet gripe is cleaning wheels, I have tried all sorts of cleaners but you have to wipe or brush them to get rid of the residues. Can anyone tell me if there is a spray on product that totally cleans wheels without having to wipe or brush them as well. I like the exercise, but cleaning the crevices in the wheels drives me mad. The wheels always look dirty with brake dust etc. I have been told there is a new product out there that you spray on that stops the dust from sticking in the first place and you can simply hose them off. Anyone come across it?
My mate took the expensive option and changed his brakes to ceramic. Cost him about AUD$1500 in total.

I've read good things about this http://www.optimumcarcare.com.au/pro...opti-seal.html
Appreciate 0