BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Only car to make it to work on Monday

01-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport - Crimson Red

Only car to make it to work on Monday

The only other people who came in to our office walked. Even the urban 4x4 brigade didn't attempt it.

Was funny to see thier faces when they arrived to see a BMW sitting happily in the car park.

My wheels didn't spin once on my way in. Winter Tyres are amazing!

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Great pic and story
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport

Garage List
2012 F20 M Sport  [10.00]
Winter rubber certainly makes a difference, I got stuck twice yesterday coming to work... AND it took me 20 minutes to get off my drive, out of the close and down the lane (normally takes 2 minutes, max).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-w View Post
Winter rubber certainly makes a difference, I got stuck twice yesterday coming to work... AND it took me 20 minutes to get off my drive, out of the close and down the lane (normally takes 2 minutes, max).
Yeah, i tried to get to work yesterday but couldnt make it unfortuantely no fault of the tyres, the snow over here in Durham was far too deep, higher than the door sill in the morning, then upto the top of the alloy come the evening - was fighting a loosing battle with trying to clear it. I did try to get out, digging trenches etc... winter tyres worked wonders mind-u, even up the banks aslong as the snow didnt hit the undercarriage. Even the 4x4's really struggled to make it out of our village, so i didnt feel that bad.

Today was a different story mind. There are two ways out of our village, one up-hill and one down-hill - and the council dont grit anything in the village which sucks. The downhill venture was far too deep in the centre, so i took the shovel and skimmed the top from the up-hill route, which wasnt as bad, and a shorter trip. A group of people were standing-by, being very negative about the RWD in the snow. Got an 'ouch' from some guy who asked if i had any weight in the boot. They insisted on pushing me up this hill, which was nice i suppose, yet to their amazement i left them standing after less than a metre and away i went. Up the still-farily deep snow covered hill, then onto the flat roads - no problem

The car handles really well in the snow, i never get stuck to the point of needing help really, well nothing abit of graft with a shovel won't fix, aslong as clearance is fixed (damn m-sport suspension) and your moving, no hurdle seems to be a problem!

Heres a pic of the car first thing monday morning; its bad news when you have to clear the snow before opening the door - it only got worse from this point onwards!!

Anyone else got any stories?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

In December we got 85 cm of snow in one day. I had to give up using my bicycle (with spiked tires) that day, and used my cross country skis to get to work. :-)

I remember some years back, when I towed a Pajero 4x4 up from a ditch with my BMW E30 318iS on a snowy day. That must have been embarrassing for the Pajero guy.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
In December we got 85 cm of snow in one day. I had to give up using my bicycle (with spiked tires) that day, and used my cross country skis to get to work. :-)

I remember some years back, when I towed a Pajero 4x4 up from a ditch with my BMW E30 318iS on a snowy day. That must have been embarrassing for the Pajero guy.
ovekvam, what do you guys do over in Norway when the snow comes upto front bumper level? Force the car through, or are you concerned about damaging the undercarraige/bumper like i was this week; and abandon ship?

Would be nice to hear how you guys cope, as you get deep snow alot more often than we do!! Unless your snow is different that is (ie denser)? Getting on top of the snow was fine, except the car just sunk in with its weight and marooned itself... need it to freeze abit now so i can get better traction and stop it slushing about!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
I don't know how it is in Bryne, but where I live (near Oslo), the "snow clearing crew" is really on all the time. Pretty much whenever there is heavy snowfall during the night, the roads are cleared when I go to work before 0700 in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

The snow is cleared also in my part of the country (the wet and warm part closest to UK), but 85 cm in one day was too much for them to cope with, so that caused temporary chaos.

Sometimes they clear the snow from the streets, and onto the bicycle lanes, so I have to use the car lanes with my bicycle. There is not all that much traffic around here, so it is not really a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Quote:

That's funny, I had a 318iS e36 with LSD. On gislaved nordfrost 5 with studs it was truly epic in wintertime, never got stuck =) I didn't tow any jeeps from ditches but it was fantastic making it's way through conditions that seemed impossible.

So my F20 on studless feels like a joke compared to that =( really poor when there is a bit of snow. If I loose momentum and come to a stand-still it's game over. Trying to park it in a bit of snow is a nightmare. The electronic diff don't cut it, seems like 1wd at standstill (works great at speed though).

I used to be the guy who went MUAHAHAH when everyone else was stuck and I had no probs, now I'm the sitting duck and even toyota Aygos and stuff drive past me having the laugh
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
That's funny, I had a 318iS e36 with LSD. On gislaved nordfrost 5 with studs it was truly epic in wintertime, never got stuck =) I didn't tow any jeeps from ditches but it was fantastic making it's way through conditions that seemed impossible.

So my F20 on studless feels like a joke compared to that =( really poor when there is a bit of snow. If I loose momentum and come to a stand-still it's game over. Trying to park it in a bit of snow is a nightmare. The electronic diff don't cut it, seems like 1wd at standstill (works great at speed though).

I used to be the guy who went MUAHAHAH when everyone else was stuck and I had no probs, now I'm the sitting duck and even toyota Aygos and stuff drive past me having the laugh
My 318iS also had an LSD. I haven't got stuck with the F20 yet, but I haven't really been out in very slippery conditions either. I guess you are running runflat tires? I'm not! :-)

The Aygo has pretty good traction, since it it is lightweight FWD with most of its weight on the front tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 02:57 AM   #11
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
My 318iS also had an LSD. I haven't got stuck with the F20 yet, but I haven't really been out in very slippery conditions either. I guess you are running runflat tires? I'm not! :-)

The Aygo has pretty good traction, since it it is lightweight FWD with most of its weight on the front tires.
Yup runflats, but when I got stuck I don't think it would make any difference, rft or not.

Indeed and the aygo also got very narrow tyre-width, like train-wheels cutting through the mod.

hmm.. regarding proper differential. I don't know if it was just a dream or if someone told me or where I get this from but didn't bmw give you the possibility to tick LSD as on extra option when ordering a car back in the days, like 20 years ago? at least on some cars/engines?

wether they did or did not provide that option, I think they should do that. Gotta be a market for it? I mean every enthusiast driver out there would tick that option and having it installed in the build-process should mean the extra cost could be reasonable.

but I guess that in a time where the majority of the bmw customers are clueless and even think they drive fwd (which they will in fact do soon), there is not much hope for us enthusiats
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #12
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
ovekvam, what do you guys do over in Norway when the snow comes upto front bumper level? Force the car through, or are you concerned about damaging the undercarraige/bumper like i was this week; and abandon ship?

Would be nice to hear how you guys cope, as you get deep snow alot more often than we do!! Unless your snow is different that is (ie denser)? Getting on top of the snow was fine, except the car just sunk in with its weight and marooned itself... need it to freeze abit now so i can get better traction and stop it slushing about!!
I'm not in norway but right next to them we got this in one day a few weeks ago;

there is mayhem when this happens, even if there are alot of plowing going on it's hard to clear it all quickly.

Some ppl leave the car like you did if that is an option. But if I really have to drive somewhere I try to dig the car out and not force the car through the snow too much but once you get going it's likely that some roads or parts of roads are not cleared. With no option of turning around or going any other route we do have to force through the snow sometimes with 3 possible outcomes;
1. ride hight is good enough
2. ride hight is not good enough -> force through and pray the snow is still nice and fluffy (if the temp stay low it's ok).
3. If it's not nice and fluffy but rather like concrete, we'll loose some plastic cover-plates from underneath, and perhaps a front or front-lip if one is lucky there was already someone ahead of you who did that, so you can use his/her tracks

usually I see mostly pieces of plastic lying around. We probably consume more cover-plates than you guys in uk. Usually there is not more damage than a lost coverplate that will be replaced next service.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #13
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11, F36

Quote:

From what you write, it seems like you didn't choose Traction mode (one click on the DSC button). I had the same problems as you when all systems was active, but when I turned it into Sport+ or Traction mode, it allowed some spinning to find grip. I was very amazed by the traction it had on roads with up to 15cm loose snow (yes my front bumper acted like a plow).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #14
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertiger View Post
From what you write, it seems like you didn't choose Traction mode (one click on the DSC button). I had the same problems as you when all systems was active, but when I turned it into Sport+ or Traction mode, it allowed some spinning to find grip. I was very amazed by the traction it had on roads with up to 15cm loose snow (yes my front bumper acted like a plow).
I tried it all with traction-mode on/off and also disabling completely, no luck. If you got momentum it's ok as long as you keep going, but when you stop in that snow and try to get going again.... =(
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #15
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
hmm.. regarding proper differential. I don't know if it was just a dream or if someone told me or where I get this from but didn't bmw give you the possibility to tick LSD as on extra option when ordering a car back in the days, like 20 years ago? at least on some cars/engines?

wether they did or did not provide that option, I think they should do that. Gotta be a market for it? I mean every enthusiast driver out there would tick that option and having it installed in the build-process should mean the extra cost could be reasonable.
A limited slip differential was an option on all BMWs up until around 1996, when the option was replaced with traction control systems. After that, only special models like M-cars have had LSD. All the X-drive models have it too.

Quaife can deliver a limited slip differential for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #16
rs-6
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i

Really don't understand why BMW doesn't offer a LSD as an M Performance accessory, it would sell like crazy
Appreciate 0