BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW f20 M sport suspension.

02-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #23
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
going by reviews of F30 ,seems quite competent in Sports mode. how different it would feel at its sport settings to fixed M sport suspension. is anyones guess. also M sports suspension in 10mm lower. not sure how the adaptive one is set.
The adaptive suspension is also 10mm lowered. From the German price list:
"Adaptives Fahrwerk mit Tieferlegung um 10 mm und Dämpfersteuerung über Fahrerlebnisschalter sowie
sportlicherer Fahrwerkauslegung bei gleichzeitiger Wahrung des Fahrkomforts"

I will probably be happy with the permanent M suspension anyway. I did not have any negative experience when testing it out, neither through sharp corners nor on bumpy roads. Like you already stated, its a matter of personal taste

Last edited by Superspeed; 02-21-2012 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #24
As1000
Private
Rep
Drives: Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominiek006
Tomorrow i will collect my 120d sport wich has the adaptive suspension. Back tomorrow with a full report on the adaptive suspension.
Would be good to hear about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #25
dominiek006
Rep
Drives: f20 120d sport black saphire

Hi all,
I promised a report on the adaptive suspension...
driving now for 5 days, i"am very happy with my choise for the adaptive system. There is a big difference in comfort or in sports mode. In comfort you have the standard setup in sport and sport+ it hardens up ( i think like the m sport suspension.) Best off both worlds. For me the M-sport would be alright for every day driving as its not bone-shaking hard, but the misses preferres the standard more comfy setup. So for me it wass the perfect choise
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport - Crimson Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominiek006 View Post
Hi all,
driving now for 5 days, i"am very happy with my choise for the adaptive system. There is a big difference in comfort or in sports mode. In comfort you have the standard setup in sport and sport+ it hardens up ( i think like the m sport suspension.) Best off both worlds. For me the M-sport would be alright for every day driving as its not bone-shaking hard, but the misses preferres the standard more comfy setup. So for me it wass the perfect choise
So basically your car has a wifey mode
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #27
Sonnig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport

I think the base suspension is perfect for day to day drive. M suspension is a bit hard on certain road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #28
As1000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominiek006
Hi all,
Did you test drive a sport model? Would you compare the comfort mode on adaptive suspension as being similar?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
dominiek006
Rep
Drives: f20 120d sport black saphire

I had a test drive with a 118d with the standard setup. Even the standard setup was not feeling to soft for me. Its comfy enough without feeling to "plush" I feel like the suspension in eco en comfort mode is the same as standard. In sport and sport+ its probebly the same as m-sport ( I have never tested one with m-sport suspension. ) Anyway, i"am very happy with the adaptive system. The different driving modes are a lot fun. In heavy traffic i like to play with the eco mode whilst i have nothing to do... and try to ride as economical as possible. On clear roads turn in to sports+, and you get a different car, very fast and very shar^p stearing. I am a happy chicken...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #30
As1000
Private
Rep

I take it that there is no separate button for the suspension and it's linked to the driving modes switch. This must be a little inconvenient as to drive in Eco or comfort you can't have the sport setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #31
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport - Crimson Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by As1000 View Post
I take it that there is no separate button for the suspension and it's linked to the driving modes switch. This must be a little inconvenient as to drive in Eco or comfort you can't have the sport setup.
I'm not sure why you would want to run with the sports suspension in those modes, would it not defeat the object?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #32
As1000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonF1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by As1000 View Post
I'm not sure why you would want to run with the sports suspension in those modes, would it not defeat the object?
Good point. Just wondering as you may actually want sport stiffness on the normal or Eco mode also or more comfort in sport mode. If that makes sense. An independent switch would have allowed this.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #33
Matt T
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 120d Sport-line

I went with the sports suspension. My initial impression is that it's softer than the M suspension on my previous 1 series, but I'm still on winter tyres (16") here, and will wait for the summer wheels (17" - which is the standard on 120d, at least here in Germany) to see how that feels.

I decided against adaptive suspension as it's a lot more expensive, and also lowered less than the sports...

Last edited by Matt T; 02-28-2012 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #34
Matt T
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
what do you mean by lowered less than Sports ? did you get M sport suspension or just F20 Sport line ? cause from previous discussions on this board we know that adaptive suspension is also 10mm lower which is the same amount you find on M sport suspension.
So I've got the 120d Sport line. There are two options for sport suspension (and I'm quoting from the German sales brochure here, and translating as I go...):
M sports suspension: stiffened suspension and lowering of 15mm.
Adaptive suspension: lowering of 10mm and suspension control via driver-experience switch, as well as sportier suspension set-up while maintaining the same level of driving comfort.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #35
Matt T
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
right thanks for that. so did you get the M sport or just standard setup on Sport line ?
Right, sorry. I've got the M sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #36
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
They have changed it, so the lowering is equal on M-Sport and Adaptive suspension. I have a suspicion it has been like this from the start, only that it was a misprint in the written information.

Here is from the German price list of March 2012 (going directly to the source ):

Quote:
M Sportfahrwerk:
straffere Feder-/Dämpferauslegung mit Fahrzeugtieferlegung um 10 mm.

Adaptives Fahrwerk:
mit Tieferlegung um 10 mm und Dämpfersteuerung über Fahrerlebnisschalter sowie sportlicherer Fahrwerkauslegung bei gleichzeitiger Wahrung des Fahrkomforts
Quote ended

I don't translate it, you guys understand
Note that "Tieferlegung" means "lowering".
      02-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #37
Matt T
Private
Germany
Rep

The car configuration on bmw.de still claims 15mm right now.

Quote:
M Sportfahrwerk (S0704)
Dieses von der M GmbH entwickelte Fahrwerk umfasst eine straffere Fahrwerksauslegung und eine Fahrzeugtieferlegung um 15 mm. Angepasste Dämpfer, kürzere Federn sowie Stabilisatoren mit höchster Verdrehsteifigkeit optimieren den Bodenkontakt Ihres BMW bei sportlicher Fahrweise ohne jedoch die Sicherheit zu beeinträchtigen.
Will be well annoyed if I'm missing out on my 5mm - one reason for not taking the adaptive suspension was to avoid a compromise.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #38
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt T View Post
The car configuration on bmw.de still claims 15mm right now.

Will be well annoyed if I'm missing out on my 5mm - one reason for not taking the adaptive suspension was to avoid a compromise.
Same here - I have ordered the M sport package with M Fahrwerk.
Let's pray for those extra 5 mm
      03-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #39
downhill
Registered
Rep
Drives: 116i f20

3 days ago I got my 116i Sport line, 16", M-suspension. I was afraid it might be too stiff for me, since I mostly drive in the city, the roads here are slightly bumpy, if you're not on the main road, and I have a problem with my back.
On the other hand, the test drive with standard suspension was "floating" a little bit, when cornering at high speeds, or changing direction quickly. Therefore I decided to risk it and go for the M-suspension.
I did not regret it at all, the car is very comfortable, the difference on a normal road is hardly noticeable. On bumps it's still very comfortable, but the suspensions make a bit noise. On the other hand when cornering, you can feel that the car is much steadier. Moreover the 15mm lower setting is fine, in terms of bumps, obstacles, ramps etc.
I would recommend this option, along with variable sport steering, and 8-speed automatic transmission. They make a big difference in this car!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #40
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by downhill View Post
3 days ago I got my 116i Sport line, 16", M-suspension. I was afraid it might be too stiff for me, since I mostly drive in the city, the roads here are slightly bumpy, if you're not on the main road, and I have a problem with my back.
On the other hand, the test drive with standard suspension was "floating" a little bit, when cornering at high speeds, or changing direction quickly. Therefore I decided to risk it and go for the M-suspension.
I did not regret it at all, the car is very comfortable, the difference on a normal road is hardly noticeable. On bumps it's still very comfortable, but the suspensions make a bit noise. On the other hand when cornering, you can feel that the car is much steadier. Moreover the 15mm lower setting is fine, in terms of bumps, obstacles, ramps etc.
I would recommend this option, along with variable sport steering, and 8-speed automatic transmission. They make a big difference in this car!

I had a relatively short test drive with the M suspension, so it's good to have my first impression confirmed

Now I am looking forward even more to delivery
      03-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #41
As1000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhill
Pleased to hear this. The model
I have ordered is M Sport which has 18" alloys. Let's hope its still comfortable.
Appreciate 0