BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2019/20 Porsche Macan S - thoughts/experiences

03-22-2024, 05:38 AM   #45
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Do you know which engine? It changed a few years ago. The 2.9L twin turbo is quite lively. I have a slightly higher output version of that engine in a 21 Cayenne S and do not notice turbo lag. Maybe the detuned Macan version has lag?

The 2.9TT in my Cayenne is a sweet machine. It sings a nice song at 5k rpm and higher, with the pedal in contact with the floormat.
Appreciate 1
Llarry15947.50
      03-22-2024, 08:33 AM   #46
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I put a JB4 on mine for a little extra oomph, but even stock, I thought it was quick if you put your foot down enough to downshift to gain rpm. Driving around in standard mode (ours has Sport Chrono), it holds gears longer and shofts slower, but it wakes up in the Sport settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 06:00 AM   #47
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
I put a JB4 on mine for a little extra oomph, but even stock, I thought it was quick if you put your foot down enough to downshift to gain rpm. Driving around in standard mode (ours has Sport Chrono), it holds gears longer and shofts slower, but it wakes up in the Sport settings.
What about the regular Sport mode (without Chrono option)? Is it a big difference in mapping between standard more and Sport mode (Macan S)?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 07:30 AM   #48
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Chrono has an over boost feature that so do not remember to use very often. Normally I just put my foot to the floor in standard mode and I think the JB4 adds noticeable power to the 2.9L twin turbo in my Cayenne. The JB4 does not change power based on the mode — it is not a flash tune. It just adds boost on top of whatever boost Porsche specified. Google JB4 and Macan S and you should find more information about the 3.0L single turbo in the Macan S. What I have read from Cayenne owners with that engine is that the JB4 makes a noticeable difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 10:13 AM   #49
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

We looked at Macans before getting the Cayenne. IMO the base Macan felt underpowered. I would have gone for an S or higher. I also LOVED the GTS and that would be my first choice except for the fact that as a fat guy the seats were bolstered just a bit too much to make them slightly uncomfortable for long trips.

I would also second having the air suspension/PASM. Honestly one of my biggest issues and probably one of the reasons we will eventually get rid of the Cayenne is the ride quality is not that great. I recently drove a Macan GTS and the ride quality was night and day compared to the Cayenne without air suspension or PASM. I don't really know which one makes the most difference, the air suspension or the PASM because the GTS had both.

Also recommend going CPO or leasing (I don't know if they lease well or not) because they drop in value like a tank. Their CPO is unlimited miles which is nice and I believe it's 2 years standard but you can get a 3 year version. When I bought mine it seems the dealer was including the 3rd year in the price.

Maintenance is $$$ so I recommend getting an indy shop as it will be waaaaay less than the dealer. I have been quoted up to like $600 by dealers for an oil change. I pay less than $300 (which is still too high IMO).
Appreciate 1
chassis6552.50
      03-30-2024, 11:02 AM   #50
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
We looked at Macans before getting the Cayenne. IMO the base Macan felt underpowered. I would have gone for an S or higher. I also LOVED the GTS and that would be my first choice except for the fact that as a fat guy the seats were bolstered just a bit too much to make them slightly uncomfortable for long trips.

I would also second having the air suspension/PASM. Honestly one of my biggest issues and probably one of the reasons we will eventually get rid of the Cayenne is the ride quality is not that great. I recently drove a Macan GTS and the ride quality was night and day compared to the Cayenne without air suspension or PASM. I don't really know which one makes the most difference, the air suspension or the PASM because the GTS had both.

Also recommend going CPO or leasing (I don't know if they lease well or not) because they drop in value like a tank. Their CPO is unlimited miles which is nice and I believe it's 2 years standard but you can get a 3 year version. When I bought mine it seems the dealer was including the 3rd year in the price.

Maintenance is $$$ so I recommend getting an indy shop as it will be waaaaay less than the dealer. I have been quoted up to like $600 by dealers for an oil change. I pay less than $300 (which is still too high IMO).
Once you go air suspension, you never go back. All Porsches have horrible lease rates. A first gen macan GTS/turbo is pretty great value at current prices. Newer ones will def tank in value. Porsche still has the best CPO in the industry, def nice to have the peace of mind.
Appreciate 1
chassis6552.50
      03-30-2024, 04:41 PM   #51
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Agree with the comments above.

Air suspension = a must and a game changer
Porsche CPO = trustworthy (unlike MB CPO)
Big depreciation on Cayennes

My $0.02: Macan is a small car. Comfort comes from larger vehicles, when all else is held constant. A steel suspension Macan on a long trip makes me cringe at the idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 05:29 PM   #52
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Agree with the comments above.

Air suspension = a must and a game changer
Porsche CPO = trustworthy (unlike MB CPO)
Big depreciation on Cayennes

My $0.02: Macan is a small car. Comfort comes from larger vehicles, when all else is held constant. A steel suspension Macan on a long trip makes me cringe at the idea.
Air suspension is a must on the Macan's simply due to the weight.
chassis6552.50
      03-30-2024, 08:01 PM   #53
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

"Porsche" SUVs with V6s no less. Ugghhh. Blasphemy. About the only things really Porsche are certain interior and exterior parts. So sad.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 05:05 PM   #54
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

My Cayenne has PASM and the ride is fantastic. Very noticeable difference too between normal, sport, and sport +.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 05:23 PM   #55
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
It’s interesting to me that maintenance cost keeps coming up. I never go to the dealer for service unless it’s for warranty work. Independent shops that service European cars charge the same hourly rate for Porsches as they do BMWs and Mercedes. I’ve been very fortunate and not had much of an issue with either any BMW or Porsche I’ve owned. I’ve owned eight Porsches and three BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 12:07 AM   #56
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

porsche is pretty aggressive with their maintenance intervals (30k plugs) on these new turbos and atop of making it harder to service also

a 30k suv could easily need service, plugs, filters, tires, and all brakes

older cayenne gts manual ftw
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 01:27 AM   #57
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Ironically enough my Panamera now has an air suspension leak. Good thing I bought that warranty, probably gonna be expensive!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 07:29 AM   #58
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
"Porsche" SUVs with V6s no less. Ugghhh. Blasphemy. About the only things really Porsche are certain interior and exterior parts. So sad.
Along the same lines, Porsches with mid-engines: Ugghhh. The only REAL Porsches are rear-engine 356 and 911 models.

Actually, my tongue was firmly in my cheek on the above. I owned a 981S which was excellent, but I suggest we not buy into the "Porsche purist" thing.
      04-01-2024, 12:44 PM   #59
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
Along the same lines, Porsches with mid-engines: Ugghhh. The only REAL Porsches are rear-engine 356 and 911 models.

Actually, my tongue was firmly in my cheek on the above. I owned a 981S which was excellent, but I suggest we not buy into the "Porsche purist" thing.
Well, we could say that the original Porsches got their starts from the bones and drivetrains of the VW Beetle

I'm just crusty and believe that companies like Porsche, BMW, etc. were known for their sportscar and sports sedans and then they sold their souls to make SUVs. I'm fully aware that the Germans makes sell mountains of the SUVs in comparison to their passenger and sportscars.

It's sad to me, especially seeing a company like Porsche put it's name on an SUV that is largely a Audi/VW under the skin. Sure the motors is often slightly different, but still largely the same as the Audi/VW variants.
      04-01-2024, 02:58 PM   #60
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

They have been doing it for 20 years and the SUV are their best selling vehicle. It may be that the profit from the SUV supports or subsidizes the car production.
Appreciate 2
Llarry15947.50
lakefront560.50
      04-01-2024, 03:22 PM   #61
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
It may be that the profit from the SUV supports or subsidizes the car production.
Many auto companies would be out of business if it wasn't for SUV sales.
Appreciate 2
chassis6552.50
Llarry15947.50
      04-01-2024, 07:42 PM   #62
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
^Agreed^ Read any sales report from a luxury or exotic company that offers an SUV. The SUV is the highest unit volume product sold after a few years in the market. Cullinan, DBX, Urus, Bentayga, Cayenne, Macan, GLE, GLS, GLC, X3, X5 and on and on.

The world wants SUVs.

Last edited by chassis; 04-02-2024 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
Llarry15947.50
      04-02-2024, 08:40 AM   #63
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
It's sad to me, especially seeing a company like Porsche put it's name on an SUV that is largely a Audi/VW under the skin. Sure the motors is often slightly different, but still largely the same as the Audi/VW variants.
Anyone that has driven all 3 would easily realize that although they naturally share a lot of reusable parts, they have very little in common from handling, feeling and feedback to overall performance.

In today's world of maximizing profits, many joint companies share parts and higher end models reuse as many lower end brand products as it makes sense. It does not devalue the higher end brand or make it just a "rebranded" product.
Appreciate 2
      04-02-2024, 11:23 AM   #64
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Well, we could say that the original Porsches got their starts from the bones and drivetrains of the VW Beetle

I'm just crusty and believe that companies like Porsche, BMW, etc. were known for their sportscar and sports sedans and then they sold their souls to make SUVs. I'm fully aware that the Germans makes sell mountains of the SUVs in comparison to their passenger and sportscars.

I recently went to an Audi dealer and test drove some of their SUVs and sedans. I was incredibly disappointed. Would rather stick with my Cayenne 100%. Literally had nothing in them I liked and I came in expecting to be impressed as I really like the look of some of them and the new interiors looked nice in pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
^Agreed^ Read any sales report from a luxury or exotic company that offers an SUV. The SUV is the highest unit volume product sold after a few years in the market. Cullinan, Urus, Bentayga, Cayenne, Macan, GLE, GLS, GLC, X3, X5 and on and on.
Pretty sure I've read Porsche was going out of business until they came out with the Cayenne. Anyways if you go to any Porsche dealer around here all they have are SUVs. At least new. It's like 80% new and used Cayennes and Macans, 10% Panameras and Tycans then maybe 1 or 2 used Caymans/Boxsters (if you're lucky) the rest ridiculously priced used 911s and such.
Appreciate 3
lakefront560.50
chassis6552.50
Llarry15947.50
      04-24-2024, 04:53 PM   #65
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

A couple weekends ago we test drove a '23 Macan 4cyl vs a '23 X3 4 cyl. Both my wife and I agreed the X3 was the better vehicle.
Appreciate 1
335i54n295.00
      04-24-2024, 05:07 PM   #66
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
A couple weekends ago we test drove a '23 Macan 4cyl vs a '23 X3 4 cyl. Both my wife and I agreed the X3 was the better vehicle.
Cool story. Based on what?