BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 1 series hatch coming to the U.S.? - Roundel

12-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #23
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJKelley View Post
Its not just the engine, but the body that needs to be pass US standards.

Crash testing for example (as EU crash tests are different). And other safety standards, such as lights etc...

Thats why there are subtle differences from the US 3 series to the EU 3 series for example.
That's true.

I think the idea to go ahead and federalize it and then sell it per customer order is a good idea.
It'll simply cost BMW a few cars for testing and crashing.
Once that is done BMW can gauge the desire by the number ordered, and then decide if they want to actually stock these cars on dealer lots.
Heck they met the standards for the 1M, which also had to be crashed to pass, just so they could sell less than a thousand of them.
And, it's no longer available for sale.
I'm sure BMW can sell at least that many 1 hatch's if not more on an order only basis.

Audi sells the A3 hatch, and they are saying they will bring a new A3 coupe and maybe even a sedan.
BMW typically outsells Audi, so why does it makes sense for Audi to offer a hatch and not BMW?
There seems to be no good reason coming from BMW on this question.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #24
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That's true.

Audi sells the A3 hatch, and they are saying they will bring a new A3 coupe and maybe even a sedan.
BMW typically outsells Audi, so why does it makes sense for Audi to offer a hatch and not BMW?
There seems to be no good reason coming from BMW on this question.
Can you give me a link about the A3 coupe coming to the USA? or a 3 door hatch? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #25
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

RPM - you missed the Fiat 500 and upcoming Abarth.

I've got a MB C230, the "C coupe", which is a hatch (tells you right there what MB thought about bringing it to our shores). Between the sale "successes" of that and the 318ti, I'm sure that BMW feels that they have enough evidence for not bringing the 1 hatch to the US. Maybe the A3 helps swing the pendulum the other way, maybe BMW is just hedging their bets and not wanting throw good money after bad. I'd be highly surprised, sadly, if it shows up.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #26
cfabluenose
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

I am sick of the BMW obsession with sport utilities. Not interested at all. I would love a 5 door. They are amazing. My Saab 900S was a fantastically fun and practical car. If BMW does not bring the 5 door to North America I may end up with an Audi A3. Audi seems to have some modicum of marketing intelligence.

2009 328i
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
RPM - you missed the Fiat 500 and upcoming Abarth.

I've got a MB C230, the "C coupe", which is a hatch (tells you right there what MB thought about bringing it to our shores). Between the sale "successes" of that and the 318ti, I'm sure that BMW feels that they have enough evidence for not bringing the 1 hatch to the US. Maybe the A3 helps swing the pendulum the other way, maybe BMW is just hedging their bets and not wanting throw good money after bad. I'd be highly surprised, sadly, if it shows up.
Yes, that car too.
I didn't miss it really. I just want to include it as it's not very much a hatch design to me, but then, some of the others are questionable as well.

What is a "hatch back" is a questionable thing really as designs vary.
Take your C230 and a Mazda 3. The Mazda, to me, is very much what a hatchback is. The C230 has a hatch, true, but it's overall design was more of a coupe that has a hatch opening.
So, "hatch" is a design category that has quite a bit of variance.
I see the 1 series as a true hatch, whereas the Mini Coupe not so much.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #28
dirtdad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 Sdrive35i

Garage List
If this is an official survey, I add my vote: bring it to the US!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #29
EdDuran
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xd M-Sport

Garage List
2014 328xd  [0.00]
**Please** bring the 120d to the US :)

I had a '99 323i for 11 years -- LOVED the car, approaching 200k, and was ready for something new, I chose a 2010 A3 TDI -- nice car, excellent mileage, and I wanted the flexibility of a 5 door hatchback. Attempted European Delivery but the Icelandic Volcano had other ideas in mind

After nearly 2 years and 25k miles I can say the A3 is nice, but just not a BMW. I don't have that unconditional love for it that was there with the 323. The mileage, which was my hot button, is as advertised.

I did do the European Delivery, finally, but instead picked up a friend's 128i (good friend!!) at the Welt, and that's when I saw the 120d

I told the BMW representative "That's the car I want - why don't we have them in the US?" .. "Because your gas is too cheap" he replies Gas was $8.50/gallon in Germany at the time (7/2011)

I'm really hoping BMW realizes that US is ready for a car that achieves 39 city, 57 highway and can still do 0-60 in 7.2 seconds; I know I'm ready! I've got my sights set on another European Delivery for 2013 (which, IMHO, is the only way to get your BMW) and I want it to be a 120d. BMW, I'll do my part - all I'm asking is that you do yours

tks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #30
Doubleyou
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 116d F20

I really do not understand why BMW is not bringing the F20 to the US. People are buying smaller cars nowadays, even if they have money for a bigger car. So a small BMW will sell, it is still a premium German car and it is economic and fun to drive! I just came back from the US and have seen quite some Mazda 3's, Golfs and new Focus HB's on the road. I am sure there is a market.