BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Lending Cars to Family

07-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #45
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

We have 4 cars, all of them are 50k plus. If you come to town to visit and need a car, no problem. I usually offer. Take whatever one you want. There just cars. you are no more likely to damage it than me. Better than them sitting in the garage gathering dust, I can only drive one at a time anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #46
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

We have 4 cars as well, $1,400, $12,000, $18,000, and $40,000, and none of them are loaned out....we only have 2 drivers as well. Last time I checked, we don't have the word Enterprise over our front door, and we won't pick u up
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #47
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #48
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

never AGAIN! here's what happened to me when my son borrowed my car and to this day denies he curbed them! how the hell do you get curb rash up that high

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #49
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

We should all be a little more generous. The plumber was over fitting some vacuum valves for the garden spigot, and he asked if he could use my 335. I said yeah but just be careful. This was on Thu so I'm sure he'll be back first thing next week, I mean he won't get paid the $135 if he doesn't
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #50
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
never AGAIN! here's what happened to me when my son borrowed my car and to this day denies he curbed them! how the hell do you get curb rash up that high
That's bad when our own kids won't just fess up, I mean we're their parents, what's the worst that could happen if they told the truth?
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #51
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

No one, no one drives my car but me.

One time in an emergency in the middle of the night my girlfriend did have to drive it to me but it was 6 blocks away. Not even kidding.

She stayed on the phone with me the entire time and it was 1am and no one else was on the road.

People don't even ask me because they know the answer.

Cars, money business. Family and friends don't mix!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #52
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

I will have him pay for a tube of touch up for the rear bumper and he will never get to borrow the car again.

I'd consider asking him to pay for a detail inside and out as well, but I don't really like having someone else clean the car so I'll take some time to do it myself. It has a noticeable hint of BO that sort of hits you when the car sits for a few days and I only drive it 5-10 times a month.

Eventually, I'll replace the bumper as it was scratched from a hit and run on the fender side of it and I really can't stand to look at the car in it's current state.

It would be bad enough if I did it, but it really kills me to be reminded that I was stupid enough to trust a human every time I look at it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #53
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

I get why you don't want to lend your cars... Totally get it, but some of you take it to the next level... Like the dude above me who made his girlfriend stay on the phone with him for 6 blocks even though no traffic and dead of the night at 1am, lol...

Will I toss my keys to anyone all willy nilly like? Definitely not... But it's just a car and nothing to get crazy about...

I'd like to think you might have that friend or two that you know you could trust with anything and everything? I know I do... I mean, I just let my girl drive my car and brush up on her 6mt... Her mom drove my car as well... Sure, there's patches of rubber here and there and maybe there's a little wear on my clutch, but nothing worse than I've ever done to my own car at my own hands...

To be fair though, I don't have friends who ask to borrow things... They all have their own cars and I seriously can't remember the last time anyone's asked... We used to swap out the 4Runner but we all kind of shared it for track days and hauling the bikes and ski/snowboard trips...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #54
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I get why you don't want to lend your cars... Totally get it, but some of you take it to the next level... Like the dude above me who made his girlfriend stay on the phone with him for 6 blocks even though no traffic and dead of the night at 1am, lol...

Will I toss my keys to anyone all willy nilly like? Definitely not... But it's just a car and nothing to get crazy about...

I'd like to think you might have that friend or two that you know you could trust with anything and everything? I know I do... I mean, I just let my girl drive my car and brush up on her 6mt... Her mom drove my car as well... Sure, there's patches of rubber here and there and maybe there's a little wear on my clutch, but nothing worse than I've ever done to my own car at my own hands...

To be fair though, I don't have friends who ask to borrow things... They all have their own cars and I seriously can't remember the last time anyone's asked... We used to swap out the 4Runner but we all kind of shared it for track days and hauling the bikes and ski/snowboard trips...
I remember when my buddy got his 550i 6 man. His wife was required to text him a pic of the vehicle safely parked, or be punished
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #55
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHL102 View Post
Lending Cars to Family
No.

They can get a rental. If they can't afford it, potentially provide financial assistance but that's even on a case by case bases. Some (most) people do not have enough pride, ethics, and/or respect to be trusted.
      07-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #56
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070
Quote:

I remember when my buddy got his 550i 6 man. His wife was required to text him a pic of the vehicle safely parked, or be punished
This might need more clarification though... Was she his "naughty girl" and needed to be "punished"? Or was he legitimately like the dude above who's girl is probably going to cheat on him with a less anal retentive guy?
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #57
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
This might need more clarification though... Was she his "naughty girl" and needed to be "punished"? Or was he legitimately like the dude above who's girl is probably going to cheat on him with a less anal retentive guy?
the first one!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #58
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070
Quote:
the first one!
Carry on then...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #59
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I had an old friend's son ask to take my M6 to prom (seriously) and he was very insulted that I didn't acquiesce to his request. I had to sit him down and tell him that the mere fact he made the request let me know that he wasn't mature enough to realize what he was asking and therefore not responsible enough to trust with a $100K, highly modified vehicle. My friend told me that it was exactly what he needed to hear because he was getting a bit full of himself.

The kid drives a Mustang now and I'm a bit afraid!!
They need to implement controls on who can drive a mustang. I propose at a minimum you'll need a high school diploma.