BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Samsung Galaxy S3 compatibility - BMW Professional radio?

07-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
streety82
Rep
Drives: -

Samsung Galaxy S3 compatibility - BMW Professional radio?

Hi all,

I will need to buy a new phone in the coming weeks and I want to make sure it is compatible with the car that I have on order.

These are the relevant in car options I have ordered:-

663 - BMW Professional radio with single CD
6NK - Enhanced Bluetooth functionality with USB audio interface
6NF - Telephone USB audio interface

I would like to buy the recently launched Samsung Galaxy S3, but I have just checked the Bluetooth compatibility tool on the BMW website (http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...=EU&country=UK) and it says it is not compatible (with the BMW Professional radio with single CD). The older Samsung Galaxy S2 is compatible.

Do you think it is likely that BMW are working on a software update that will enable Samsung Galaxy S3 Bluetooth compatibility with the BMW Professional radio and my additional options? The Samsung Galaxy S3 is still relatively new and appears to be very popular, so I would hope an update is being worked on.

If bluetooth compatibility is not possible, if I manually connected the Galaxy S3 to the USB socket could I access my phone contacts and music that way (using the iDrive)?

I have e-mailed my dealer asking these questions, but as you know, they do not inspire a lot of confidence with their technical/connectivity knowledge.

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Streety82
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M539

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
If all you want is calling, caller list and phone book, it should work. I got the small hands free and radio pro and I am using it with a LG 2X P990 with a custom ICS rom, which can't be found on any list, and its working.

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

I too asked my dealer that question about the Samsung G S3
Yes they are, as the Galaxy S3 is the top selling smartphone at present and many customers want it for all their series Ers
He says It should be available within a month or so through your dealer as a software update
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
streety82
Rep

Thank you for your replies guys. Much appreciated.

@AusF20 - Just to confirm, did your dealer confirm that it would work with the BMW Professional radio with single CD in the future?

On the BMW Bluetooth Compatability tool it does say the Samsung Galaxy S3 will work with the Navigation packages. It's just the BMW Professional radio that it says it doesn't work with. Just wanted to double check before I go ahead and buy the phone.

FYI......I got an e-mail back from my dealer and he said "In my experience the Iphone is the best product with BMW" He made no attempt to actually answer my questions. I then rang him and he said that he recently sold a F20 where they couldn't pair a Samsung (didn't mention model). He said the connection would just keep dropping out. I am not convinced that he really knows!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

@Streety,

If it's any comfort, when I test drove an F30, I paired my Galaxy SIII with it and had no issues...

looking here on the Aus website, it says the 5 door 1-series built 2012 should work fine with the Galaxy SIII
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

In the Norwegian BMW site, I checked the S3 (Android 4.0.4) compatibility with my own F20 116i.
The phone is listed with all green dots except for playing audio by USB interface.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
streety82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
@Streety,

If it's any comfort, when I test drove an F30, I paired my Galaxy SIII with it and had no issues...

looking here on the Aus website, it says the 5 door 1-series built 2012 should work fine with the Galaxy SIII
Thanks Spikey, but that is with the Navigation System. I do not have the Navigation system unfortunately. Too pricey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
In the Norwegian BMW site, I checked the S3 (Android 4.0.4) compatibility with my own F20 116i.
The phone is listed with all green dots except for playing audio by USB interface.
Thanks ovekvam. Can you tell me what connectivity options you have (e.g. BMW radio pro, Nav, bluetooth……….etc)?

I have done some digging on the German BMW website. On their Bluetooth compatibility tool, they say the Galaxy S3 will work with the BMW Professional radio with single CD (663) + Bluetooth telephone preparation, USB audio interface and Voice Control, including BMW assist (6NL).

In Germany you can select 663 with 6NL. In the UK, if you select 6NL then you are forced to select one of the Navigation packages and therefore cannot have the BMW Professional radio with single CD (663).

So the only difference between Bluetooth telephone preparation, USB audio interface and Voice Control, including BMW assist (6NL) and the option I have; Bluetooth telephone preparation with USB audio interface and Voice Control (6NK) is the addition of BMW assist. I can't see that having an influence on the Bluetooth compatibility. Can you?

I think I am going to take a bit of a gamble and order the phone. What do you think?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I am not sure what radio I have, but I have DAB, USB and bluetooth, and no navigation.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #9
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11, F36

I am also interested in this, as I have ordered a F20 with 663 Pro radio and 6NK enhanced bluetooth.
I'm about getting myself a new work phone, and it stands between iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3.

After reading this, I think I'm gonna gamble and go for the samsung.

The 6NK option should make "Office" available too, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
richrichrich
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 118D

I have an SIII paired with an F20 118D with similar spec except with nav. The bluetooth works fine and has the call lists and contacts, etc. Only thing that doesn't work all the time is the USB connection. For whatever reason the SIII interface via USB is unstable and they haven't fixed it, god only knows why.
Appreciate 0