BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW 1 Series production hits the two-million mark

03-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW 1 Series production hits the two-million mark

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW 1 Series production hits the two-million mark
COMMENTS
Name:  P90175037-highRes 2.jpg
Views: 7333
Size:  488.9 KB

March 5, 2015

Munich. 28 March 2015 sees the curtain raised on the market launch of the new BMW 1 Series. Fans of compact driving pleasure can look forward to an even more striking design, a further refined premium ambience for the interior, engines that are extremely powerful and even more efficient, and innovative equipment features. Ahead of the launch, news filtered through from BMW Plant Regensburg of another reason to smile as the two-millionth BMW 1 Series rolled off the production line. The landmark car was built just a few days after the start of production for the new version of the compact model and is one of the first examples of the new BMW 1 Series range earmarked for export to Asia. The BMW 120i 5-door, painted in Estoril Blue metallic and equipped with an M Sport package, will be delivered to a customer in Japan.

This production landmark at BMW Plant Regensburg represents another milestone in the international success story of the BMW 1 Series. In late summer 2014 the company celebrated the model series’ tenth birthday. And now the leap beyond the two-million-unit mark provides further evidence of how the attraction of BMW’s hallmark driving pleasure has spread to the compact segment as well. At its premiere in 2004 the BMW 1 Series became the brand’s first model to reconcile sporty and elegant design, dynamic driving properties and premium quality with the functional attributes of a compact 5-door model. Boasting superior powertrain and chassis technology and the rear-wheel-drive configuration that remains a unique selling point in the compact segment, the BMW 1 Series has since set the benchmark for sporting ability in its class. At the same time, it regularly serves as a trailblazer for the latest BMW EfficientDynamics technology, which ensures the new BMW 1 Series, too, offers an impressive balance between driving pleasure and fuel consumption.

The new edition of the BMW 1 Series will be offered in both 5-door and 3-door body variants. The BMW 1 Series 3-door is built exclusively at BMW Plant Regensburg, the BMW 1 Series 5-door additionally at BMW Plant Leipzig. Both models can be ordered with a selection of powerful and highly efficient petrol and diesel engines featuring BMW TwinPower Turbo technology, including units with three and four cylinders from the BMW Group’s latest generation of engines and a six-cylinder in-line engine with M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology. The new BMW 1 Series (fuel consumption combined: 8.0 – 3.4 l/100 km [35.3 – 83.1 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 188 – 89 g/km) therefore covers an output spectrum ranging from 80 kW/109 hp to 240 kW/326 hp.

The BMW M135i M Performance Automobile is a ticket to outstanding dynamics, while the 85 kW/116 hp BMW 116d EfficientDynamics Edition leads the way in the efficiency stakes with average fuel consumption of 3.8 – 3.4 l/100 km (74.3 – 83.1 mpg imp) and CO2 emissions of 101 – 89 g/km in the EU test cycle. The BMW M135i, BMW 118d and BMW 120d can all be specified as an option with BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive.

Other highlights of the equipment listings for the new BMW 1 Series include the standard-fitted iDrive operating system, full-LED headlights (available as an option for the BMW 1 Series for the first time) and the latest additions to the BMW ConnectedDrive line-up. As well as the radar-based Active Cruise Control system with Stop & Go function and the new-generation Parking Assistant, features such as the camera-based Driving Assistant are also available. The progressive character of the new BMW 1 Series range is likewise underlined by the standard provision of the Intelligent Emergency Call function and BMW TeleServices. The optional Navigation system Professional also offers automatic map updating (using the embedded SIM card and mobile phone network), which is free of charge to customers for the first three years following registration of the car. Also benefiting from further expansion is the array of internet-based information, communication and entertainment services, which the driver can integrate into the car with the help of apps either via the integrated SIM card or using a smartphone.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Boasting superior powertrain and chassis technology and the rear-wheel-drive configuration that remains a unique selling point in the compact segment, the BMW 1 Series has since set the benchmark for sporting ability in its class.
Please keep this in mind for the next generation 1-series!
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #3
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: on hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam
Quote:
Boasting superior powertrain and chassis technology and the rear-wheel-drive configuration that remains a unique selling point in the compact segment, the BMW 1 Series has since set the benchmark for sporting ability in its class.
they will. . except they want more and that's why they're going FWD.. such a shame.
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #4
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
while i agree with you. unfortuntely it's too late and the bmw corolla, i mean 1series is coming regardless in a fwd.
      03-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #5
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Still tearing around in my 1'er.
      03-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Will they be selling it in the US? That would give them more sales. Another US hot hatch would be welcomed by some of us.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #7
ScoopsLR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
while i agree with you. unfortuntely it's too late and the bmw corolla, i mean 1series is coming regardless in a fwd.
Lmao. BMW Corolla !!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
ScoopsLR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Yea. FWD BMW ???? (Shrugs shoulders)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #9
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver
Still tearing around in my 1'er.
Me too !
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #10
EzequielR
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 08 328xi

congrats BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
The lack of love won't come from the fact that it's not on a race track but rather that it is on the ground and, in fact, ruined.
my 2 feets are currently on the ground, are they ruined? haha
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
flyaway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: entry level M car,nothing more

Wasn't Estoril Blue exclusive colour for the M135i on the LCI ?(official information/vehiculated on forum)

Anyway, as we all know, BMW can change mind rather quickly, especially when money involved...

BMW Corolla
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #12
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

not bad
      03-07-2015, 04:06 AM   #13
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

If there is a greater good...

I was very bothered by this shift to FWD/AWD drive thing till I spent some serious time in a Cooper S. Also, when I remember how much fun and driver appeal my Evo had, I am positive that the BMW UDM mantra can continue.

But they must make the car very special dynamically as they have waited too long to make the shift and have truely amazing competition from VW and Mercedes in this segment.

In the big picture, if this keeps BMW rich and mighty to be able to fund the cool products we love, I would be a supporter.

One key wish though, is that they keep the 2 series coupe a RWD based platform as this is BMW heartland and is amazing aspirational start to the substance of the UDM DNA.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 05:41 AM   #14
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
In the big picture, if this keeps BMW rich and mighty to be able to fund the cool products we love, I would be a supporter.
What if the cool product we love is the RWD 1-series hatch?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #15
egearberk
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F10 520i, F20 LCI 116d

The only pro of the 1er against an a3 or an a klasse or even a volvo v40 is that 1er is rwd. Because it is not particularly beautiful or comfortable. Ä°t is the sheer enjoyment and cool factor of a rwd hatch and bmw is ruining that because of pointless will for more money. Such a shame :
Appreciate 0