BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW M135i Bests Boxster for Top Gear Magazine Sports Car of the Year

05-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
AMB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3CS|05 E46XiT|18 Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form View Post
You need to stop blaming NA for that. You can't bring a car in the middle of its life cycle to a new market without going through the whole testing process again. It makes no financial sense, nor would Germany allow it.
I can blame them for not bringing the hatchback in the first place... or the previous gen or the gen after this as they have already stated we most likely won't be getting the next 1-series, only the newly named 2-series.

I can also blame them for bastardizing the F31 by only giving us an Xi auto option. I passed up ordering the E91 to wait for the F31 only to find this all out too late.

There is zero logic in their decision making. Right now I can order a RWD (S-drive) version of the X1, but can't do so for the 3-series Touring.

'05 M3 CS | Silver Grey | M Cloth
OEM CSL Front - Rear - CF Roof | Dinan S2 Performance Pack | 19" RAC Monolite RG4s
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
Menez
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 X3 3.0i

A BMW M135i is a better SPORTS CAR than a Porsche Boxster?? Are you kidding me?

The Porsche Boxster is beautiful and wonderfully dynamic, while the BMW M135i just looks WRONG. Since the whole point of the comparo was to see which is the best sports car, it should have been the Boxster, no questions asked. After all, the engine is where it should be in a car (My apologies, 911), and it is also naturally aspirated. And with looks reminiscent of the gorgeous Carrera GT, why would any other car even be considered?

If the only thing they could say against the Boxster was that it didn't surprise them that it was perfect, then that still means it's perfect!

Don't get me wrong though, the BMW M135i is a great car and deserves the all the praise it gets...just not "Sports Car of the Year" when a Boxster is its opponent. If it had been just "Car of the Year," I would have picked the BMW because it is a much better blend of sportiness, practicality, and price.

Last edited by Menez; 05-08-2013 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
M12Power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT

Don't really care for this comparison, since the M135i is not even available in the US.

If I could get either one for free, I'd opt for the Boxster for sure, but if I have to fork out the dough myself, I'd probably choose the Bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #26
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I agree it is a bit strange that the BMW wins an award as the best sports car when it is not a sports car.

Last edited by ovekvam; 05-09-2013 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #27
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Yes, the hatchback is ugly. You guys must be living in a cave. The 135i has consistently beaten out the boxster and cayman consistently over the past few years on the track. The 135 is the best car with the proper suspension and performance upgrades, thus leading to the 1M. I dont consider the boxster or cayman great Porsche's. The 911 is a different story.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #28
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire85 View Post
Wow! I can't believe how much cars go for over in Europe. I paid 28k usd for a 128i with leather, manual and sport pkg. It was a demo with 5k miles. I could buy a new M3 for what you guys are paying for a small engines 1 series.
I'd assume they make more money per same job. Also, get free higher education, and (perhaps) cheaper medical.

p.s. I've learned over time that companies price their product not by just Cost of Production + Overhead + Margin. Instead they say, our cost + overhead + margin + if any money left in our potential consumer pocket after paying their bills.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #29
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
I'd assume they make more money per same job. Also, get free higher education, and (perhaps) cheaper medical.

p.s. I've learned over time that companies price their product not by just Cost of Production + Overhead + Margin. Instead they say, our cost + overhead + margin + if any money left in our potential consumer pocket after paying their bills.
We do have cheaper education and more social security. The cost of new cars with powerful engines in Denmark and Norway are however so high that pretty much only rich people can afford them. Most regular people drive around with small engines over here.

When blue collar guys have cars with a big engine, it is usually a rather old car, like a BMW E30 with an engine transplant.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #30
ZenithDK
Rep
Drives: 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
We do have cheaper education and more social security. The cost of new cars with powerful engines in Denmark and Norway are however so high that pretty much only rich people can afford them. Most regular people drive around with small engines over here.
Well, Sweden and Germany have good education and healthcare too, while still having car prices comparable to the UK/US.

As far as I know, the difference is that Norway and Denmark (and to a lesser extent the Netherlands) don't have any automotive industry of their own, so all car purchases are a cash drain for the country - therefore, there are crazy car taxes to keep the money "inside the country" (here it's 180% tax on the car value exceeding $10000).

But yeah, a 1 series is a luxury car here. Basically only top executives can afford a 5 series or M135i, for example (weighs in at just over $100.000). The only people in 7-series/A8 are ministers who get the government to pay for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcho View Post
i'd gladly trade you my cars (135i, now C63) to live in copenhagen or oslo. just think of the lower prices we pay as compensation for the crap quality of life we have here (southern 'merica).

that's all this "freedom" rethoric equates to anyways.. spending power.
Wait, so I get great weather, big steaks and cheap cars in exchange for snow, rain and 180% car tax?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #31
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithDK View Post
Wait, so I get great weather, big steaks and cheap cars in exchange for snow, rain and 180% car tax?
hehe, the weather will depend on where you go. the excessive heat and humidity of the south makes it difficult to be very outdoorsy in the summer months. steaks... ok i agree the meat is better. but also remember the population is percentage wise less educated and definitley less attractive. sigh, copenhagen. best city in the entire world.
      05-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #32
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

It does not have the electric steering from what I remember. It has a hydraulic steering servo. So it might not be as life less as the BMW electric steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
320/332 hmm, why does that sound familiar

Does the M135i have the same steering set up as the F30, TG seems to allude to its numbness. If this is the case its great that in spite of said steering, they still gave the M135i the nod. Good to know
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #33
Menez
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 X3 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Yes, the hatchback is ugly. You guys must be living in a cave. The 135i has consistently beaten out the boxster and cayman consistently over the past few years on the track. The 135 is the best car with the proper suspension and performance upgrades, thus leading to the 1M. I dont consider the boxster or cayman great Porsche's. The 911 is a different story.
Why don't you ask Walter Rohrl what he thinks of the Boxster and Cayman? Especially since he said he'd take one over a 911.

Now, if you said you don't think the Cayenne or Panamera are great Porsches, then that could be a legitimate statement...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #34
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I'm puzzled by Top Gear's decision, because I reckon it would be pretty rare for a buyer to be considering an M135i against a Boxster. Both great cars with -- for the most part -- quite different use cases.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #35
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

TG is infotainment rather than meticulous motor journalism.

Jeremy is welcome to his perspective, as long as it provokes.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #36
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Quote:

But yeah, a 1 series is a luxury car here. Basically only top executives can afford a 5 series or M135i, for example (weighs in at just over $100.000). The only people in 7-series/A8 are ministers who get the government to pay for them
Friends my message is only intended as a question due to my unfamiliarity to Europe and not intended in any other way. I apologize if anyone finds this message offensive.

Pardon me but I am confused. Why are cars of different prices on continental Europe or geographically very close to it. From Asia I do not understand the reason. Being in the EU I thought cars for example, BMW, should cost the same or very similar as in Germany + LITTLE administrative costs + shipping from Munich (which I thought one might as well just drive it over if close enough....) if you are in another EU countries. I am unfamiliar with Europe and can be very wrong, and you must excuse me. However, these cars seem to be cheaper again in Great Britain, very strange.

In Asia our import cars cost 2X as that in the United States or 3X in some other Asian countries, but then our governments want to curb imports or general number of cars (or whatever the they want). So, if I were to loot someone, I'd jump on the guy coming out of a 740Li

Last edited by westphone; 05-09-2013 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:45 AM   #37
ZenithDK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
Friends my message is only intended as a question due to my unfamiliarity to Europe and not intended in any other way. I apologize if anyone finds this message offensive.

Pardon me but I am confused. Why are cars of different prices on continental Europe or geographically very close to it. From Asia I do not understand the reason. Being in the EU I thought cars for example, BMW, should cost the same or very similar as in Germany + LITTLE administrative costs + shipping from Munich (which I thought one might as well just drive it over if close enough....) if you are in another EU countries. I am unfamiliar with Europe and can be very wrong, and you must excuse me. However, these cars seem to be cheaper again in Great Britain, very strange.

In Asia our import cars cost 2X as that in the United States or 3X in some other Asian countries, but then our governments want to curb imports or general number of cars (or whatever the they want). So, if I were to loot someone, I'd jump on the guy coming out of a 740Li
Well, technically, the cars cost the same to buy. What costs the insane extra prices is the "registration fee" - a fee you must pay if you want license plates for the cars (license plates are of course required to drive the car on public roads). If you want a car only for use in a showroom or on a racetrack, you can buy it for the "base" price.

The samme applies if I buy a car in another country - I can easily go to Germany and buy a new or used BMW, and then bring it back to my country. But to drive it here, I need the license plates, and again the registration fee applies. The tax authorities will work out hom much fee is to be paid for a used car.

The reason is that the government doesn't want all that money leaving the country. I bought my 118d for just over $60.000 now. Of that money, the government gets around $35.000 (fee and VAT) and the rest of the money leaves the country for BMW in Germany. Had there not been the registration fee, I would have bought a 335i, and ALL the money would have ended up in Germany.

It's not that different from what you describe above with trying to restrict imports in Asia - except in the EU, you may not discriminate against products based on where they come from - so the tax has to apply to all cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:55 AM   #38
ZenithDK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcho View Post
hehe, the weather will depend on where you go. the excessive heat and humidity of the south makes it difficult to be very outdoorsy in the summer months. steaks... ok i agree the meat is better. but also remember the population is percentage wise less educated and definitley less attractive. sigh, copenhagen. best city in the entire world.
My impression of Texas might be skewed a bit, I've ony been there a few times on holiday, and always had a great time.

Definitely agree about attractive women here, it's just a crying shame they have to cover up in winter coats 8 months a year
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #39
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Well, technically, the cars cost the same to buy. What costs the insane extra prices is the "registration fee" - a fee you must pay if you want license plates for the cars (license plates are of course required to drive the car on public roads). If you want a car only for use in a showroom or on a racetrack, you can buy it for the "base" price.

The samme applies if I buy a car in another country - I can easily go to Germany and buy a new or used BMW, and then bring it back to my country. But to drive it here, I need the license plates, and again the registration fee applies. The tax authorities will work out hom much fee is to be paid for a used car.

The reason is that the government doesn't want all that money leaving the country. I bought my 118d for just over $60.000 now. Of that money, the government gets around $35.000 (fee and VAT) and the rest of the money leaves the country for BMW in Germany. Had there not been the registration fee, I would have bought a 335i, and ALL the money would have ended up in Germany.

It's not that different from what you describe above with trying to restrict imports in Asia - except in the EU, you may not discriminate against products based on where they come from - so the tax has to apply to all cars.
+1 very good explanation! The only place worse than Denmark is probably Singapore.

And also in Denmark, if you are caught overtaking on the right, or turning right on a red light the fee is USD 350. Enough to pay for 2 years of Z4 car insurance in China...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #40
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
It does not have the electric steering from what I remember. It has a hydraulic steering servo. So it might not be as life less as the BMW electric steering.
It does have EPS with VSS

http://s3.bimmerfile.com.s3.amazonaw...135i_specs.pdf

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #41
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
And also in Denmark, if you are caught overtaking on the right, or turning right on a red light the fee is USD 350. Enough to pay for 2 years of Z4 car insurance in China...
And even higher in Norway. Maybe that is why 95 percent of the drivers are very careful about driving according to the rules all the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #42
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Yes, I stand corrected it is EPS and not Hydraulic. Now going back to its review and looking it up they said it is not as good as the BMW Hydraulic setups.

BMW and its need to mess up the steering feel of all its desire able cars......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0