BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Competition for the M135i - which do you prefer?

02-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #23
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

How about the Renault Megane RS Trophy? That is a rather hot hatch. It beats the lap time of the M135i on the Nürburgring.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #24
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Wow! I like that "TURBO" label near the fender. It reminds me of Opel/Vauxhall Astra "TURBO" label on the tailgate (actually the Astra looks better than the A class in real life)!...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #25
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, BMW 118d sport

The Renault Megane is also a very good car but IMO it kind of lacks the appeal of the top 3 German cars.

I am a few month away still from ordering a car but if my financial situation will not permit me to get a BMW Mercedes I will go for the Renault or the Opel Astra opc
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #26
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab999 View Post
I think a lot of the options for the BMW come standard on the Merc so it works out the same price

I just cant figure out the pricing for this thing! Its outrageously cheap for a full AMG model with supercar rivalling specs! They will definitely cannibalise their own models like the C63! If you dont mind a hatch, why would you even consider the C class which is almost double the price???
What options specifically? Most of what an M135i needs, it has as standard. Granted AMG Mercs are normally well-equipped but normal A-classes are fairly stingily specced so it's not clear which way this one will fall. I'd be surprised if it had much more over an M135i than some fancy seats and I'd be very surprised if they throw in COMAND for free.

Also, I don't get the notion of it being outrageously cheap. Unless Aussie prices are all over the place, here an A45 is not likely to list at under £36k. So probably £40k with options. A C63 saloon lists at £57k but you can get the dealer to knock off £7k without even trying. And it certainly comes with everything you need as standard.

Current: Macan GTS
Previous: 440i GC, M135i, E60 M5, Z1, 330d, 135i, Alfa 156 GTA, Mercedes 500E, Audi S3, Audi A3 quattro, VW Golf GTI 16v
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #27
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

the merc doesn't look anything special to me, and it is rather ugly too. Looks like a mom´s crossover and a bet the 4pot in it is no match to the i6 in the bimmer. Doesn't matter if it makes a thousand hps. I don't see matching the power delivery of the roundel sweet six
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #28
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (soon)

Lets be honest, visually it absolutely slaughters the Beemer, but it does have a tad more boy racer appeal than I'd be looking for from a car, if those renderings are close to accurate. I like the understated looks of the 1er tbh, its got great 'sleeper' appeal. Where as if I opted for the AMG i'd have the local chavs up my arse in their scoobies and what not every time I went for a casual drive.

The biggest decider between the two imo will be the pricing. I dont think the UK prices of the Merc will come close to the Beemer tbh. My guess is 35-36k for the standard AMG model, then to add the usual sort of optionals you generally look for in a luxury hatch I think we'll be talking close to 40k. Which for that kind of cash I could have a spec'd M135i + M Performance parts with change to spare.

Ultimately I think the 1er will be confirmed as the easier of the two to live with day in day out, possibly the more engaging to drive. The Merc will be faster in a straight line and better in all weather conditions. Almost like a rematch of the M135i and RS3
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rall View Post
I had the Merc for a testdrive a couple months ago, and it looks (exterior) are definately the best thing about it.

Must say that I was surprised by the feeling of a cheap interior where the screen in specific really stood out like something you would expect to find in the kids department of Walmart.

The AMG exterior styling really fits my eye though.
Have to 100% agree on this, i too was really looking forward to the A Class, i was seriously considering it before the F20, i waited then when i saw one in my local shopping centre was extremely disappointed by how cheap the interior felt - it looks alot nicer in the brochures. Nice to look at, but not a patch on the F20, especially in the looks department
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #30
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Buck View Post
Lets be honest, visually it absolutely slaughters the Beemer
Really? I think the F20/F21 is better looking.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #31
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Let us be honest: both the A Class and Series are ugly, and both the A3 and Golf are boring. All other hatches are el cheapo.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #32
nicvw
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 125i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I agree, not a fan of the Merc's styling, especially the AMG spec model
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #33
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Yeah visually its the best looking hatch on the market in my personal opinion anyway. However how a car drives compensates any downfall in looks and I don't think the A45 will be as fun as the M135i. Based on reviews of the A250 which was critisized by most reviewers for the suspension stiffness, to hear the A45 is being equiped with even firmer springs leads me to believe its not a day to day runner. its a bit of fun on a weekend for the younger generation, who've got the spare cash for a second car
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #34
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland's Advocate View Post
What options specifically?
Well im pretty sure the A250 Sport it comes with auto as standard, reverse camera, panoramic sunroof, front and rear sensors, parking assistance, folding mirrors & lumbar support.

ALL of those are options on the BMW. The AMG may have even more options as standard
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #35
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Well im pretty sure the A250 Sport it comes with auto as standard, reverse camera, panoramic sunroof, front and rear sensors, parking assistance, folding mirrors & lumbar support.

ALL of those are options on the BMW. The AMG may have even more options as standard
I would not see the auto transmission and a panoramic sunroof as an extra bonus, but rather serious show stoppers. Along with the drive shafts going to the front wheels, the car is no longer an interesting candidate.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #36
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

This AMG has FWD that converts to 4WD when needed. It has auto transmission only. It has a 2L 4-cylinder engine.

M135i is RWD (well, if you don't opt for the 4WD version), is available in manual transmission, and has a 3L 6-cylinder.

If you're a "real driver", you know what to choose

Style-wise, the AMG is hot though...
350+ HP from a 2L... Future will reveal if the engine will hold...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #37
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 125d

Garage List
My F21 gets better looking everyday. It's grower styling that out lasts instant appeal. Think of a song you instantly like first time you hear it... Bored and skipped few weeks later. Now think of that song on an album you used to skip all the time but as the weeks go on guess what, ends up your fav! The F21 isn't a photogenic car but when you see it slipping past in the flesh is low, wide and mean and to top it all of its a drivers car. The AMG is nice but too RS Focus for me
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #38
washout04
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

I think that all the new cars coming out could be good for potential F20 owners. Surely BMW will have to add some kit to compete.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #39
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Since this AMG is available only in auto and awd, price and performance comparisons with M135i must be based on M135i's xdrive version (which also is auto only and a perfect match) and not the rwd (manual or auto). I am betting they will be very close with this identical configuration in price and equipment. Also, since BMW says xdrive makes the 0 to 100 km/h in 4.7sec. (4.6 sec for AMG) there is a believable tie there and only real world tests can/will show which one is the faster car. In short, AMG is not 0.5 sec faster than a M135i, to say that is simply insulting people's intelligence and even their literacy level, apples to apples it is just 0.1 sec faster and that is only on paper yet.

Probably next year or so Audi will join this gang with a similarly powered and geared new RS3. I just hope BMW will stay away from "this" rather predictable and long planned German competition and take another competition seriously: making the next M2 better than 1M and E90 M3 and coming Alfa 4C and also worry about the next Cayman R, nothing less. That's where they need to and they have to win, with next M2 and next M3/M4.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #40
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

We don't get the A250 Sport. Here the standard A250 AMG Sport doesn't come with any of that (bar the auto 'box) and retails at just shy of £27k. We also get a ritzier A250 "Engineered by AMG" version which costs just shy of £29k and add standard xenons, AMG bodykit/suspension and privacy glass, but the rest of the options you mention remain just that:

- reversing camera: £300
- Parktronic: £690
- Lumbar support: £160
- Panoramic sunroof: £900
- Mirror package: £310

Other key options:

Metallic paint: £570
COMAND: £2100
Heated Seats: £300
Luxury 2-zone climate control (!?!): £530
DAB: £420
HK Audio: £680

And if you want actual leather rather than Artico, you have to opt for the "AMG Exclusive Package" at £1,080, which gets you heated leather seats with lumbar support in black, black or black.

So an A250 "Engineered by AMG" specced to match my M135i would cost the same amount despite being actually a rival for a 125i MSport.

Doesn't auger brilliantly for the pricing of the A45.

Previous: 440i GC, M135i, E60 M5, Z1, 330d, 135i, Alfa 156 GTA, Mercedes 500E, Audi S3, Audi A3 quattro, VW Golf GTI 16v
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #41
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Since this AMG is available only in auto and awd, price and performance comparisons with M135i must be based on M135i's xdrive version (which also is auto only and a perfect match) and not the rwd (manual or auto). I am betting they will be very close with this identical configuration in price and equipment. Also, since BMW says xdrive makes the 0 to 100 km/h in 4.7sec. (4.6 sec for AMG) there is a believable tie there and only real world tests can/will show which one is the faster car. In short, AMG is not 0.5 sec faster than a M135i, to say that is simply insulting people's intelligence and even their literacy level, apples to apples it is just 0.1 sec faster and that is only on paper yet.

Probably next year or so Audi will join this gang with a similarly powered and geared new RS3. I just hope BMW will stay away from "this" rather predictable and long planned German competition and take another competition seriously: making the next M2 better than 1M and E90 M3 and coming Alfa 4C and also worry about the next Cayman R, nothing less. That's where they need to and they have to win, with next M2 and next M3/M4.
I'm pretty sure in the M135i vs RS3 comparison Christ Harris did, they recorded 4.45 secs 0-60 for the M135i, and various other soruces have had 4.5's & 6's from the UK RWD 8 speed. So I think track performance will be the decider between the M and the AMG in terms of performance, not so much straight line.

Tbh I think you'll find the 4pot 2.0ltr may help the A45 to 60 fractionally quicker but, like the M135i showed against the RS3 the 3.0ltr straight six, just keeps on pushing. So in speeds between 60-120 the Beemer will more than likely make up any lost ground on the A45 AMG before going past it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #42
Gymkhana
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 E46

If somebodys intersted in real buyer opinion
I was like "wow!", "i want it right now!" the first time i saw A45 , as far , as i love everything about AMG and such.
But. I called my local dealership and they told me,that first cars will arrive by end of summer... After,that i calm down and had a closer look, comparing it to M135.
Its exterior is like Peugeot 307 with spoiler in edition 1 or something - rubbish looking to M135.
Interior - i really love that. Times better than BMWish. But lets play it just like a "new-car-wow" factor )
Performance - i have a serious doubts about its reliability, since its turbo producing 1.8bars, shaving off nearly 200 hp per litre. BMW 3.0 turbo is much better, natural sounding and also will have less turbo-lag effect, i guess.
Nevertheless , its worth to have a closer look in person, rather than just talking on forums )
      02-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #43
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I would guess that in Moscow you can get the xDrive version of the M135i? Otherwise surely the fact that the A45 is AWD must be quite compelling. Also, much as I like small fast cars, I used to live in Moscow and I confess that if I went back to live there again, I'd want a fast SUV of some description given the state of the roads.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #44
Gymkhana
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland's Advocate View Post
I would guess that in Moscow you can get the xDrive version of the M135i? Otherwise surely the fact that the A45 is AWD must be quite compelling. Also, much as I like small fast cars, I used to live in Moscow and I confess that if I went back to live there again, I'd want a fast SUV of some description given the state of the roads.
Yeah ,there is such option for M135 in Moscow, but it seem to me a benefit, that M135 is RWD based model, in fact A45 is FWD haldex or something.
8 out of 12 months there is a quiet "RWD-pleasant" weather in here, so it may provide more fun,though it misses LSD , which to me is a big minus ,that forces me towards xDrive as it will provide more grip in any condition and bigger speeds with more forced accelerations out of corners )
...Still there is a chance, that some aftermarket quaife LSD will appear in soon time )
PS And by the way, road quality allows to use hothatches year-round in Moscow actually )