BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Has Anyone had Problems with the F20?

02-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #177
frashed
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavVD View Post
Sounds like steering rack related problem! What is result of investigation?
Well I took the car in to get the problem sorted. Went for a drive with one of the mechanics who heard and acknowledged the problem.

They had the car ready for me by the end of the day... didn't have any info for me other than they tightened a few things up and the problem was gone.

It sounded fine on the way out, but 20 minutes later I heard the knock again. Needless to say it's going back.

It's hard to describe the noise... it only really happens going over certain rough surfaces or large road reflectors.
      02-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #178
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Strut tops? Or a shock absorber that's lost its mojo?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #179
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by frashed View Post
Well I took the car in to get the problem sorted. Went for a drive with one of the mechanics who heard and acknowledged the problem.

They had the car ready for me by the end of the day... didn't have any info for me other than they tightened a few things up and the problem was gone.

It sounded fine on the way out, but 20 minutes later I heard the knock again. Needless to say it's going back.

It's hard to describe the noise... it only really happens going over certain rough surfaces or large road reflectors.
Mine went it last week for an annoying rattle when going over bumps, but I think I found the problem days before I took it in, worth checking this. After I had washed it, was just wipeing some water from the rear hatch area, top of rear bumper and just placed my hand on the top and it sounded funny, tapped it and was rattling. When I took it in I gave the tech gut a demo and was the wire harness from the number plate lights fallen of the mount in the rear bumper, all sorted now.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #180
ascv99
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 118i

BMW F20 118i factory problems

I read the forum for a long time but this is my first post.

First sorry about my English.

I bought my 118i F20 11/12 on 18 june 2012. On the first week I had a problem with my brakes, I couldn’t break well so I left the car at the dealer and then they returned me after 1 day the car ok.

Second problem I had, the Window of the passager started to doesnt open so I took again, this problem I had on second week of july. So one more day and the dealer returned me the car ok.

Third problem, mecanical problems, a very strange noise started under the car when I was passing for some hole or when in high speed like 120 km/h. The dealer wanted me to charge for U$600 and I told them I was calling the consumer rights and then they fixed it for free. This happend on november 2012

Fourth problem – water started to enter in the car behind the driver with the door I just left the car again at the dealer and they told me they will fix it
Fifth problem – the AC started to do a big noise when I turn it

The fourth and fifth problem they still with the car

The nearest dealer is 70 km away from my home so I spent a lot of Money on this

Anyone is have any problem like mine? My car has 9 months and the problems keep showing all the time. I imagine when my warranty will be over I will have to spend a lot of Money on this. It’s so hard to me to be without car, all the time this is happen

I had a 09/10 118i, the car was perfect, I had it for 2 years and now that I changed for the new one I’m having all these problems, I don’t know what to do anymore, I asked to the dealer to do something and they just say, it was unlucky you have to bring it here when something happens, I’m thinking call my laweyr to do something but here, in Brazil is very difficult.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #181
ant234
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i M Sport

Just to give you an indication, my f20 125i have been with the dealership 4 weeks out of the first 10 weeks I had the car... mostly are pre delivery issues, but i'm hoping I don't have to go back there for a really long time!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 02:25 AM   #182
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

We have had our F20 116i since May, and driven 12 000 km with it. No issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 03:29 AM   #183
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpina D5S

Hello. I've a F20 125D since May, but now after a 14 000km it started withe some problems.
A strange noise when breaking from the front left wheel, that evolved now to vibration in the steering wheel, and the worst problem is some sort of bloking of the steering wheel.
Like you have to do a lot more strenght to turn to the feft side on speeds above 100km/h.
BMW told me that is a construction defect, and now i can choose a new car and wait about 3 months for it, or repair this one. Now a realy don't know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #184
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkSinatra View Post
Hello. I've a F20 125D since May, but now after a 14 000km it started withe some problems.
A strange noise when breaking from the front left wheel, that evolved now to vibration in the steering wheel, and the worst problem is some sort of bloking of the steering wheel.
Like you have to do a lot more strenght to turn to the feft side on speeds above 100km/h.
BMW told me that is a construction defect, and now i can choose a new car and wait about 3 months for it, or repair this one. Now a realy don't know what to do.
hmm that steering-wheel issue, could you explain that a bit more? is it only when you turn left and not right? Is the problem always there at above 100km/h or does it only happen once in a while randomly?

I've had a few occasions where after driving on highway for a long time, especially after driving dead straight for a long while and then coming into a slight bend, it has felt like the steeringwheel has locked up.

Really scary feeling, for a millisecond it feels like the anti-theft-locking-thingie has engaged and I have to force the steeringwheel a bit in order to turn.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #185
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpina D5S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
hmm that steering-wheel issue, could you explain that a bit more? is it only when you turn left and not right? Is the problem always there at above 100km/h or does it only happen once in a while randomly?

I've had a few occasions where after driving on highway for a long time, especially after driving dead straight for a long while and then coming into a slight bend, it has felt like the steeringwheel has locked up.

Really scary feeling, for a millisecond it feels like the anti-theft-locking-thingie has engaged and I have to force the steeringwheel a bit in order to turn.
In my case it only happens when turning left, and on speeds above 90/100 km/h, and it happens everytime. Even if i drive in here arround town and the steering wheel stays in the midle position for a while, when i try to turn left it comes that annoying issue. Here my dealer told me it is a problem from the factory. It's my 3rd BMW and before i hadn't any problems or somrthing similar to this.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #186
Northandy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d M Sport

My 118d (may 12 build) has been at the dealers a week and a half now, its awaiting some new parts that are supposed to be coming out to enable a fix of the timing chain rattle. They reckon it could be another few weeks yet.

I have another 118d as a loan car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 02:40 AM   #187
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

I experienced a bit scary issue on the highway this week-end with my 125i m sport with m sport brakes. When it was dry, no problem. But when it was rainy nothing happened when I was braking for a second and had to press down the pedal harder. Braking straight after was improved even though the car was pulling to the right. Also sounds like there is a strange noise from front left while braking at low speed.
Did anyone experience this with m brakes and/or m pack (might be the cooling duct of m pack brings some water on the disc at top of the cool air under high rain conditions...) ?
I can't believe my brake pads are already worn out after only 15000km (mainly highway)...
NB: it was improved after one very strong braking
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #188
Honziss
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 116d + E81 116i

Quote:
I experienced a bit scary issue on the highway this week-end with my 125i m sport with m sport brakes. When it was dry, no problem. But when it was rainy nothing happened when I was braking for a second and had to press down the pedal harder.
That's usuall. Wet brakes needs to dry off for full performance. To prevent this, leave your wipers in A (automatic) mode. The system will brake a little bit in intervals (you will not notice) depending on rain intensity, to keep your brakes dry.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #189
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honziss
Quote:
I experienced a bit scary issue on the highway this week-end with my 125i m sport with m sport brakes. When it was dry, no problem. But when it was rainy nothing happened when I was braking for a second and had to press down the pedal harder.
That's usuall. Wet brakes needs to dry off for full performance. To prevent this, leave your wipers in A (automatic) mode. The system will brake a little bit in intervals (you will not notice) depending on rain intensity, to keep your brakes dry.
Thanks! It is actually what I did! After some time I even switched on the front car detection that does a pre braking when you are too close from the car at front! It was alright when I had to brake and was close to the previous car (not so safe in such rainy condition) but not in having normal safety distance...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #190
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport Estoril Blue

F20 issues

My 116i sport is now just gone one,I have done just over 5000 miles of local driving.One or two issues over 12 months.
Steering squeak - ended up having new steering column bushes fitted after 3 attempts to " grease " them,
New hatch lock and catch fitted,rear hatch rattling when driving around.
software upgrade due to wiper faults,apparently a recall anyway,power module replaced when garage tried to upgrade software and blew this module up.
Black splashes from exhaust up the back of rear apron, not a good look on a white car,dealer saying found no faults with engine .I've just given up on that one,Only just starting to get back to normal after these issues.oh and the start button.Car keeps telling me to depress clutch when clutch is depressed and foot on floor to make switch.
This my 2nd BMW first one was 318 which I had for 8 years no problems,not sure as of yet if this one will last that long.Probably sounding bit bitter and twisted but this is not what you expect from a brand new car of any sort never mind BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #191
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbmw1 View Post
Steering squeak - ended up having new steering column bushes fitted after 3 attempts to " grease " them,
I think I will have to change them as well, after 1 failed atempt of greasing the column.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #192
JoshB25
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 318d M-Sport

Hi, Ive got an F21 116d M-Sport. Not overly happy with the car to be honest. Don't get me wrong I love the car on how it looks and drives but the build quality doesn't seem to be there anymore. I've had a couple of issues so far since I took delivery on the 1st December 2012.

1. Rust residue is seeping through the centre caps which stains the wheels brown after about a week after a wash.

2. My arms rest rattles when my arm isn't resting on it.

3. In the last couple of days the car has developed a clunking spring sound every time I lift my foot off the break pedal.

4. My car seems to be very noisy and very harsh sounding engine wise. I know its a diesel and they are noisier but it sounds very rattley and uncomfortable when accelerating. It has been into BMW 3 times for this and they cannot find anything wrong with it but my girlfriend has a 116d sport and it doesn't sound like mine. Even taken one of the technicians out with me in both cars and he did say my girlfriends was quieter than mine. They have made some adjustments but it sounds no different.

Does anyone else think the 116d is noisy or having the same issue? Would be great to get other peoples opinions on this.

Thanks alot

Josh
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #193
frashed
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You're spot on lol

Took the car in on Tuesday morning to get the problem sorted. They took the next 2 days trying to identify the location of the noise. After waiting for some 'Chassis Ears' they just called me now telling me it's related to the steering rack. Now it get's annoying.

Apparently there's is a notice in their system which highlights the fact that due to moving from a hydraulic-electronic setup, to an electronic only setup, there is more noise which is a trait of the setup and not an 'issue' so to speak; meaning it isn't damaging in any way. A slight ticking might be heard and this is normal.

The dealer has acknowledged that the sound coming from my car is different, if not more pronounced, and has logged a case to BMW. There's also more travel coming from the front-right. It's up to them to decide how to proceed; they send a technician out to decide whether it's a fault, they simply replace my steering rack, or they can reply back saying it's exactly what they say it is and hand me back my car.

03-15-2013, 03:10 AM   #194
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frashed
Quote:
You're spot on lol

Took the car in on Tuesday morning to get the problem sorted. They took the next 2 days trying to identify the location of the noise. After waiting for some 'Chassis Ears' they just called me now telling me it's related to the steering rack. Now it get's annoying.

Apparently there's is a notice in their system which highlights the fact that due to moving from a hydraulic-electronic setup, to an electronic only setup, there is more noise which is a trait of the setup and not an 'issue' so to speak; meaning it isn't damaging in any way. A slight ticking might be heard and this is normal.

The dealer has acknowledged that the sound coming from my car is different, if not more pronounced, and has logged a case to BMW. There's also more travel coming from the front-right. It's up to them to decide how to proceed; they send a technician out to decide whether it's a fault, they simply replace my steering rack, or they can reply back saying it's exactly what they say it is and hand me back my car.

I was obviously lucky

I believe it is not satisfying answer from them. You should request the steering rack replacement. Probably it is just lack of damping in the system or it can be a free play that might cause a later failure (stress concentration) or a durability issue. The car is under guarantee, steering is among the most important safety functions, you can request a change of the rack. Noise + asymmetry does not sound too good.
So the best way to do to allow BMW engineers to understand the problem and think of a solution for everyone (if needed): you allow BMW quality engineers to investigate on your car. Once done you ask for rack replacement so that they send the faulty one to rack supplier for further investigation. Win-win solution
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #195
F20Bimmer
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 116d EDE 5 doors

Garage List
2013 BMW 116d  [10.00]
Quote:
I was obviously lucky

I believe it is not satisfying answer from them. You should request the steering rack replacement. Probably it is just lack of damping in the system or it can be a free play that might cause a later failure (stress concentration) or a durability issue. The car is under guarantee, steering is among the most important safety functions, you can request a change of the rack. Noise + asymmetry does not sound too good.
So the best way to do to allow BMW engineers to understand the problem and think of a solution for everyone (if needed): you allow BMW quality engineers to investigate on your car. Once done you ask for rack replacement so that they send the faulty one to rack supplier for further investigation. Win-win solution
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #196
frashed
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I was obviously lucky

Agreed. I won't settle for an excuse. Unfortunately I have to wait to hear back from BMW. The dealer at this point has thrown their hands in the air and are palming it off.

Funny thing is they've been very courteous after the email I sent the dealership last time explaining how disappointing their service and technical staff were.
      03-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #197
BMWF20MJC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport Red.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #198
BMWF20MJC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF20MJC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF20MJC View Post
Is it possible to play music via Bluetooth as I have an iPhone 5 and the y cable and lightening adapter does nothing but flick from syncing on and off!! Nightmare any help guys??
I had this exact problem, i was using a copy Y cable from ebay tho, along with the official apple lightning adapter. Never got it sorted, although an iPhone 4 worked fine. I just use AUX-In now from the headphone socket, i find this alot better as i can atleast have my sat nav instructions piped through the cabin along with my music from the phone, only downside is i still have to use the phone to change the music ... unless anyone knows whether connecting the phone directly to the iDrive will allow audio from the phone to be played through the cars speakers (not just music files)?

Thanks
That's pretty much what I do now!! At least I'm not the only one having issues. Same as eBay cable wonder if it works with a genuine cable.. Have to try it out.
That's the same with me. And my cables were both genuine apple & BMW so no idea. Hope someone can shed light on this
Appreciate 0