BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Dumb auto q's

06-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Hi guys,
Had an extended test drive today in an m135i

Couple of q's about the auto box.
1. Dealers no nothing about launch or sailing, they thought I was pulling their leg (uk?)

2. Can you pick up revs to pull away? I got into a right muddle at the lights when I selected N increased the revs then shifted to D. The box just didn't compute what I was trying to do.

3. Must you always keep your foot on the brake when stationary, or is it ok the leave the car in D pull the hand brake and lift the foot brake?

Stupid questions but I've never driven an auto box,
Cheers guys!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
Maxib37
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw f20 sport

If you want a quick getaway u have to keep your foot firmly on the brake and build up the revs slowly and release the brake, also u have to keep your foot on the brake while you are stopped or put gearbox in P or N with handbrake on then you can release brake. And for the dealers, id try another dealer not all of them no what there talking about.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

If you want fast pull off

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post
Hi guys,
Had an extended test drive today in an m135i

Couple of q's about the auto box.
1. Dealers no nothing about launch or sailing, they thought I was pulling their leg (uk?)

2. Can you pick up revs to pull away? I got into a right muddle at the lights when I selected N increased the revs then shifted to D. The box just didn't compute what I was trying to do.

3. Must you always keep your foot on the brake when stationary, or is it ok the leave the car in D pull the hand brake and lift the foot brake?

Stupid questions but I've never driven an auto box,
Cheers guys!

If you want to pull away from the lights quickly, just put the box into S mode (drive selector to the left), keep your foot on the brake, then give it half throttle when the lights change. There's not much on the road will stay with you over the first 50 meters

Last edited by SteveC; 06-17-2013 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

If the car is stationary there's no need to put your foot on the brake. However if it starts moving you might need to.

Revving in N and slotting into D - you made me LOL off my chair
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

If the car is on the level

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
If the car is stationary there's no need to put your foot on the brake. However if it starts moving you might need to.

Revving in N and slotting into D - you made me LOL off my chair
If the car is on level ground, and you take your foot off the brake, the Idle Speed Control System will cause the car to move slowly forward at walking speed. Even manual cars will move forward slowly at idle as long as you let the clutch in gently so as not to stall the engine. The reason for setting up cars like this is to make them easier to handle in slow moving traffic jams, which they have a lot of in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #6
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
If the car is on level ground, and you take your foot off the brake, the Idle Speed Control System will cause the car to move slowly forward at walking speed.
Yes, but isn't part of the question if you can keep your foot off the brake as long as you have the parking brake engaged? I haven't tried this myself. Not yet at least.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Please....don't put the park brake on when the transmission is in "D". There lies trouble. Use the footbrake to keep the car stopped, or put it into Neutral or Park, and engage the handbrake.

In any case, (unless disabled) the Stop-Start system kicks in after you've stopped in "D" for c.2s, and restarts as soon as you let your foot off the brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:10 AM   #8
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
don't put the park brake on when the transmission is in "D". There lies trouble.
Forgive me for saying this, but "there lies trouble" isn't really much of a credible argument. Could you shed some light as to why one shouldn't use the parking brake to hold the car while in drive? I'm sure there are a reason, but the "because-I-say-so" argument isn't much helpful.

Also, the auto start-stop function is just horribly annoying with automatic transmission. My previous car was a manual, and it worked so much better in that car. If you roll up to an intersection, you'll keep the clutch down until you are good to go and the engine stays on. But if there's a lot of traffic, you might as well just stick it in neutral, release the clutch and let the engine shut off. It's easy to control it yourself with the clutch. With the auto, even at the slightest stop the engine shuts down. As a consequence of this, I disable auto start-stop every time I start the car. I hope to get it coded at some point, so I won't have to bother with it at all. Ever.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Modern autos aren't like those of old. My Wife's SLK applies the brakes while the cars in drive and stationary, then you just touch the throttle when you want to take off. It's really works very well. I understand BMW's with electric handbrakes work the same way.

I wonder if the M135i with its prehistoric handbrake lever will be ok to apply while in drive?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #10
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

As in, you're increasing the risk of driving with the handbrake partially engaged, because you are setting an additional action for the brain to remember when setting off from a stationary position. The footbrake to throttle movement is generally an exclusive action, ie, if you are doing one, you cannot be doing the other (unless left foot braking or "loading" the auto for a launch.) Whereas applying the handbrake is not exclusive, ie, it can easily be left on accidentally while applying the throttle.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be smart, I thought it was obvious "good practice" and one of the few things most good driving instructors tell their students learning in auto cars.

Yes, the auto stop-start is annoying. I think there just needs to be a little more delay in the auto before stopping. Maybe 10s. Mine stops at carpark boom gates, which really irritates me!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

The stop start can be changed to reset the mode on start by your dealer. I had mine reset by the dealer to whatever it is set to when you cut the engine is what you have when you start up. I did not like the stop start and now do not have to use it, unless I want to.
In reference to a quick take off, the 1er 8 speed Auto has hill assist so if you take your foot off the brake you stay put and have a few seconds to throttle up. If you want a quick take off in a 125i or M135i just left foot the foot brake, take up the lag so that the machine wants to move, the low end of the turbo boost will kick at around 1300 rpm, anticipate the light change then just plant your foot.

Personally I have found just giving it some throttle in Sport mode works a treat at the lights. Flat to the floor take offs are quite impressive.

If you have paddles, and want to go from a rolling slow/stop to GO, throw it into 'Sport' or Sport+ with the lever pushed over into the manual side, flick the down paddle and throttle up as the lights change, then just flick it up a cog as the red line approaches. FUN, FUN, FUN
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
The stop start can be changed to reset the mode on start by your dealer.
Not necessarily. They will not do that in Norway, as this feature is part of the way the car is approved. Without it, the car would pollute more in the emission test, and should be more expensive to buy in our country.

So if you want to change it, you need to get access to the neccessary equipment and code it yourself at home.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep

My brain clearly isn't switched to the auto way yet.
It's like going windows based to apple, everything I do is cognitive with this box.

So, are people saying its ok told hold brake with left foot and bring revs up for a quicker get away.

Also hand brake in D ok?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
In reference to a quick take off, the 1er 8 speed Auto has hill assist so if you take your foot off the brake you stay put and have a few seconds to throttle up.
That's not how hill assist works. If you're on the flat in 'D' and take your foot off the brake the car will move instantly forward. If your on a hill, when you take your foot off the brake to move t0 the gas, hill assist stops you rolling backwards for 2 seconds

Any other way and the car would be a total pain in a slow crawl

Regarding a fast start....how fast do you want to go? Just put the selector in S and give half throttle and you'll take off like a startled deer. You may consider a different strategy at the drag strip but applying gas while holding the brake will cause oil sheer in the torque convertor and overheating if you do it for too long or too often. Given that its not designed for this type of abuse why do it when its so fast off the mark in standard S mode?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar
Ain't got one,
Test drive only
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Ain't got one,
Test drive only
If you are considering buying F20/F21, I recommend downloading the manual from the internet and reading it first. It is always more honest than the sales pitch.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
That's not how hill assist works. If you're on the flat in 'D' and take your foot off the brake the car will move instantly forward. If your on a hill, when you take your foot off the brake to move t0 the gas, hill assist stops you rolling backwards for 2 seconds

Any other way and the car would be a total pain in a slow crawl

Regarding a fast start....how fast do you want to go? Just put the selector in S and give half throttle and you'll take off like a startled deer. You may consider a different strategy at the drag strip but applying gas while holding the brake will cause oil sheer in the torque convertor and overheating if you do it for too long or too often. Given that its not designed for this type of abuse why do it when its so fast off the mark in standard S mode?
Steve
Did you not see in my post the word HILL That refers to a Hill

Applying some throttle with the foot brake applied is only used at the point of anticipation of the green light. The ZF auto is designed to take stress loads of a start on a steep hill so the throttle increase to 1300rpm (500 rpm above idle) for a second or so before the lift off is within acceptable limits
I agree, pushing to 3500 rpm is not good for it

Last edited by AusF20/F48; 06-18-2013 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

just drive it normally.... it's really not hard.

why are you trying to do these crazy things?!

very bizarre...
      06-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #20
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM
just drive it normally.... it's really not hard.

why are you trying to do these crazy things?!

very bizarre...
There lies the problem bgm, to me it is normal to raise revs to pull off and to take my foot off the brake when stationary.

If normal is to sit on your brakes when stationary in an auto then cool but I thought that warps discs?
If pulling off at idle is normal, fine, I bet this concept gets introduced in the upcoming launch control.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
There lies the problem bgm, to me it is normal to raise revs to pull off and to take my foot off the brake when stationary.

If normal is to sit on your brakes when stationary in an auto then cool but I thought that warps discs?
If pulling off at idle is normal, fine, I bet this concept gets introduced in the upcoming launch control.
Pulling away from idle is still faster than the manual can manage with increased revs. The 8 speed auto has a very low 1st gear so 1st is over very quickly.

No problem with sitting with the foot on the brakes, in fact most bigger BMW's and VAG models have auto hold systems that maintain brake pressure when you stop, you can release the brake pedal but the brakes stay on until the throttle is pressed. The 1 series doesn't have this feature so you have to keep your foot on the pedal.
The stop/start system also works on the brake pedal. Pull up and keep your foot on the brake and the engine will stop, as you release the brake the engine restarts.
For longer stops press P to put the car in park and put on the handbrake. This also keeps the engine off. As soon as you select D the engine restarts.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #22
Moovrr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i F21

I have found the best way to avoid the engine stopping with stop/start when you anticipate you will have to move in a few seconds, e.g. Pulling up at a roundabout, is to just flick the shift lever from D to M/S that way the engine keeps running (in any driving mode) and you can pull away quickly. I don't have to bother with the stop/start button to manually override the system and the shift lever is closer to hand, happy days.
Appreciate 0