BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Turbo Whoosh and a random squeak

07-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
SpannersUk
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

Question Turbo Whoosh and a random squeak

Hi All

Sorry all but I need some help and figured this would be the best place to come! I don't have a mechanical bone in my body but need some assistance. I seem to have a couple of issues with my 116 petrol

1) When I accelerate firmly, as I take my foot off the gas, there is "whoosh" sound that I believe is the turbo? Is that normal? I get it no matter what speed I am doing and as long as I accelerate hard. Reading some of the more technical posts on here I got totally lost.

2) When I brake and the car's load pushes down on the front suspension, the shock absorbers (I guess) squeak, only on the front. if I try and push the the front of the car down when stationary I get no noise.

I live near a really really bad dealer in Tunbridge Wells who are so inept its untrue and as I say, I have zero mechanical knowledge so am stuck as to what to do?

Help!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannersUk View Post
1) When I accelerate firmly, as I take my foot off the gas, there is "whoosh" sound that I believe is the turbo? Is that normal? I get it no matter what speed I am doing and as long as I accelerate hard. Reading some of the more technical posts on here I got totally lost.
AFAIK, yes: it's the valve releasing excessive pressure. My car rather grunts quite audibly but I only noticed that recently and I can't hear it exactly every time. I still guess it's all right: anyway the warranty has just ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannersUk View Post
2) When I brake and the car's load pushes down on the front suspension, the shock absorbers (I guess) squeak, only on the front. if I try and push the front of the car down when stationary I get no noise.
Usually it's the brakes. Brake squeaking is normal generally: it does not necessarily indicate excessive wear. There are brake pad wear sensors and the computer should issue a warning if they alarm. You can look that up in the iDrive menu, I guess. Yet, you can get the pads condition checked visually (thickness) by literally anybody with a car lift.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

Them whoosh is completely normal. It the wastegate releasing pressure when you are stepping off the accelerator.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I can't hear the whoosh in our 116i, but I have been told it is possible to hear it from outside of the car when I drive autoX.

I also don't hear any squeak when braking, but sometimes when bottoming out the front suspension on speed bumps.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I can't hear the whoosh in our 116i, but I have been told it is possible to hear it from outside of the car when I drive autoX.
Strange. Mine is pretty loud. Especially if the driver's window is down.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

I get a lot of whooshing, which is normal especially if you're accelerating hard and then lifting off
      07-28-2015, 02:21 AM   #7
SpannersUk
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

Cool - Thanks all the helpful responses. Much appreciated. It puts my mind at rest. I can now enjoy the whoosh and not worry. After all it is kinda fun to "make" the car make the sound
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 05:33 AM   #8
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

If you drive with your window down and beside earth banks on the side of the road you'll get some really loud whoosh bouncing of the dirt banks when changing gears. Enjoy your and use sports mode. My 116i in sports mode comes alive and is fun driving twisty roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 05:40 AM   #9
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
If you drive with your window down and beside earth banks on the side of the road you'll get some really loud whoosh bouncing of the dirt banks when changing gears. Enjoy your and use sports mode. My 116i in sports mode comes alive and is fun driving twisty roads.
But with sport mode, you have the stability system kicking in with the brakes at every corner exit. I prefer DSC Off.
Appreciate 0