BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What made you choose to reside where you currently live?

08-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #67
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
I had opportunity to stay in Middleberg at the Salander last year - WOW!!!

That is how the 1% of the 1% lives....
You damn right, get on our level.

Keswick Hall in Charlottesville, VA is more of the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #68
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
You damn right, get on our level.

Keswick Hall in Charlottesville, VA is more of the same.
Barbara Johnson (owner of the Salamander) is opening a world class Equestrian Center where I grew up (Polk County NC)....will be a monster of a facility...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #69
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Seems like maybe you are a resort vacationer. Seeing as you enjoyed the Salamander (?), you probably would like these places:
  • Nemacolin Woods in Pennsylvania
  • Glenmere in New York
  • Rock Creek in Montana
Though each of them is somewhat remotely located, one can arrange for helicopter or airplane arrival at each resort, making it easy to fit in a quick getaway or longer stay even if work or other priorities beckon while one is there.

All the best.

Far from it - I stayed at the Salamander for a week as part of my company's annual Chief Planning Team retreat with the Board of Directors...I did drive past the Jack Kent Cooke estate...unreal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 11:19 AM   #70
Nos1981
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

The price mostly
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #71
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Sorry about the late reply, I've been so busy that I lost countless hours of sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreMyWorld View Post
I appreciated reading that. :')

If g-d forbid your current plans don't follow through, you're free to roommate with me and we can be the best and most dynamic roommate buds in the whole world!
I'm flattered haha... Where do you plan on moving to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaButter View Post
If you're truly able to ditch that leech, I'd do so ASAP without looking back. I have had several in my life, and am an absolute horrible judge of character when it comes to my personal life. In business I have an odd talent in pinpointing people as if I could read their minds. But when it comes to my personal life, I swear I am absolutely blind and like to see the absolute most good in every person I meet. It took me forever to stop carrying friends to the top with me, and finally realized it would be more beneficial to reach the top and toss them a rope, instead of piggybacking them up with me.

Keep on, keepin' on bruh!
It's a bit impractical to do it right this moment since I could just block his phone number and FB now, but he has come over before he became a leech and knows where I live, and he HAS shown up before when I didn't answer the phone, which I'm even toying around with the idea of filing for a Civil Harassment Restraining Order.

I'm starting to get a bit more savvy with judging character nowadays, but sadly that scale alternates a bit... I can either see right through people within seconds, or sometimes it'll take a few months before I can see that someone is a complete scumbag that is not worth my time, which he'd be the latter.

Another flaw I have is that I do like to help people and will go to the ends of the earth for people who deserve it, but there's nudging them in the right direction, or having him beg for my help with something ridiculously trivial and I have to lose sleep until 1 AM just to proverbially wipe his frickin' ass.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 11:24 PM   #72
black335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: M 4

Job decided where I live. Pay is great, area not so great.
2015 Honda Accord
2020 Range Rover Sport HST
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 06:11 AM   #73
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Far from it - I stayed at the Salamander for a week as part of my company's annual Chief Planning Team retreat with the Board of Directors...I did drive past the Jack Kent Cooke estate...unreal...
His former D.C. home is quite nice as well, although not as obviously grand as his former country house that you saw.

His former D.C. home is generously sized overall, but in feel it's quite like any suburban rambler, just bigger. The common areas of the home are generous, although some of them are oddly proportioned. Like most of the homes in the neighborhood, it's nicest attribute is that it's nestled between two parks and feels like living in the 'burbs, even though it's right in the heart of the city.

One of the charming aspects of the area is the variety of house styles that can be found there and in that sense, it's not at all like living in the 'burbs. Some of the other houses in the same neighborhood:

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #74
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

It was the best I could afford at the time....I even borrowed 90%, 80% mortgage, and 10% heloc, to avoid PMI. I paid that 10% off in around 3 years, nose was to the grindstone.

Our town is heavily Catholic (as are my wife and myself and son). The next town over is mostly Jewish. The real estate is 35% more just over the county line, and the schools are better. If I could have afforded it, I'd be over there....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 01:23 PM   #75
DJKapeesh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i, 13' 911 C2S, 10' X5D

Born in South Florida but moved to Atlanta Metro - Georgia at around 5yo. Lived there for 18 years until I finished college in South Georgia (Savannah area). My first job was in Georgia but moved on to take a IT Consulting position that relocated me to Milwaukee Wisconsin.

Wisconsin
Sorry but I cannot see why anyone would ever live in Milwaukee for life. Cold as Sh*T in the winter and unpleasant with snow. Streets are all bad and the building are all old (comparatively speaking to the South). All the restaurants are local > chain and I ended up with food poising 2 times in a matter of a month.

That being said the people are very nice and for the most part down to earth (the ones who aren't begging), the cost of living is CHEAP. The summers are excellent climate and very very green. Alcohol is abundant if your a drinker and Chicago isn't to far however it was not for me.

After a year in Wisconsin I made a pledge to move as far south as possible to never deal with another winter like that again!

Flordia
It was back to sunny south Florida for me where I have been for the past 3 months. In all honesty I love Florida as a place but hate the people. This place is paradise for Women, beaches, weather ect but common sense is in short supply. I mean the worst drivers in the world live here, the most financially irresponsible and laziest people you will ever meet come from Florida.

I have yet to decide if I will be staying here or taking my talents else where again....
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #76
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
Sorry about the late reply, I've been so busy that I lost countless hours of sleep.

I'm flattered haha... Where do you plan on moving to?
Oh my, I'm so sorry for my extremely late reply. I never received a notification that you had replied to me. I only noticed you replied because I was browsing through my thread.

Anyway though, I'll probably be moving back to LA in the coming months depending on what I want to do with school. Whether to take a break or go straight through with whatever opportunity that may come my way. Currently I share a house with three other roommates in Camarillo.

What are your plans so far?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #77
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh my, I'm so sorry for my extremely late reply. I never received a notification that you had replied to me. I only noticed you replied because I was browsing through my thread.

Anyway though, I'll probably be moving back to LA in the coming months depending on what I want to do with school. Whether to take a break or go straight through with whatever opportunity that may come my way. Currently I share a house with three other roommates in Camarillo.

What are your plans so far?
No worries, I've had tons of things on my plate the past 2 weeks too. I still plan to move to OC in the next 2 weeks since I know where the aforementioned leech frequents, and OC is not one of them.

In other words, definitely not San Gabriel Valley (he stops in this area a lot after work and is borderline addicted to being in this area, and his cronies are mostly from this area), Chino Hills (where he lives), and LA Wilshire District (where he used to work but still hangs out there), and a mutual friend in OC always says that he much prefers to come out to the SGV since Brea is "too far" (even though ironically it's only 3 towns over from where he lives).
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #78
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Lived in FL until I was 18 and would not live there again unless I was close to death (based on the FL demographic I believe a lot of the people are with me on this).

College in Macon, GA and Portland, OR (I thought Portland was great but had a hard time relating to a lot of the people).

Lived in Chattanooga, TN - Probably the best overall place I lived. Low taxes, low cost of living, lots of outdoor things to do, good weather, good people, just a little too small for my tastes.

Lived in Hermosa Beach, CA then back to Chattanooga. No interested in CA, funny thing is telling people there you are moving to TN and they seem to forget that standard of living goes up about three income brackets while making the same amount of money. I was living in a small apartment in Hermosa Beach and bought a house in TN, huge amount of savings in taxes and fees and could get to work in 15 minutes instead of 45. Then there were tons of things to do in the LA area but most were far enough away time wise that I rarely did them.

Moved to Cincinnati because new job said I had to live in OH. Fairly recently asked boss if he cared if I lived in Nashville and he was ok with it but wife and I decided we like the area and people where we are now and will hold off.

I think most people live where they do because they grew up there, are used to it, and friends and family. Some move because of jobs but unless retiring I think very few just pick up and move their family to some area they don't already have family or friends.
      09-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #79
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Witness protection put me here
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #80
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Lived in FL until I was 18 and would not live there again unless I was close to death (based on the FL demographic I believe a lot of the people are with me on this).

College in Macon, GA and Portland, OR (I thought Portland was great but had a hard time relating to a lot of the people).

Lived in Chattanooga, TN - Probably the best overall place I lived. Low taxes, low cost of living, lots of outdoor things to do, good weather, good people, just a little too small for my tastes.

Lived in Hermosa Beach, CA then back to Chattanooga. No interested in CA, funny thing is telling people there you are moving to TN and they seem to forget that standard of living goes up about three income brackets while making the same amount of money. I was living in a small apartment in Hermosa Beach and bought a house in TN, huge amount of savings in taxes and fees and could get to work in 15 minutes instead of 45. Then there were tons of things to do in the LA area but most were far enough away time wise that I rarely did them.

Moved to Cincinnati because new job said I had to live in OH. Fairly recently asked boss if he cared if I lived in Nashville and he was ok with it but wife and I decided we like the area and people where we are now and will hold off.

I think most people live where they do because they grew up there, are used to it, and friends and family. Some move because of jobs but unless retiring I think very few just pick up and move their family to some area they don't already have family or friends.
Where in FL did you live?

FYI, according to the 2010 censes, only 3.2m of the 18.8m people in FL are over the age of 64.

Maybe not living here as an adult sways your opinion. Because several of the traits you like about TN are the same in FL. Except no winter or snow. But we've got low taxes, small towns, big cities, etc... I'm not trying to talk you into coming back, as the 3 most populated state, we don't need anymore people. lol Just curious as to what about living here as a kid made you not like it.
      09-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #81
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Chattanooga is a great town....GREAT food too.

And a little winter is a good thing.....blizzard's are not....
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #82
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Portland, OR (I thought Portland was great but had a hard time relating to a lot of the people).
QFT... My dad moved up to Portland since it's not a horrible distance from SoCal, he liked the rain (especially since he did planting while his girlfriend at the time was recovering from breast cancer and saved him the trouble of watering), and the lush greenery (see previous justification).

But then after moving up there, it wasn't all gumdrops and ice cream like he thought; some people were prejudiced against my stepmom (Hong Kong descent), the rain soon got to be too much, and some people in the PNW don't realize that having decreased sun exposure actually causes depression and other symptoms that not only affected my dad, but seemingly the personalities of those around him...

Not to mention it's so overly liberal on homeless people, that other states secretly send the worst offenders to PDX with a one-way ticket, and one word you amazingly can't find on Google but locals know: Foxtails . Also, with not enough money to run the jails (one even became abandoned soon after it was built), you'd have all sorts of scumbags roaming the streets too.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #83
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Where in FL did you live?

FYI, according to the 2010 censes, only 3.2m of the 18.8m people in FL are over the age of 64.

Maybe not living here as an adult sways your opinion. Because several of the traits you like about TN are the same in FL. Except no winter or snow. But we've got low taxes, small towns, big cities, etc... I'm not trying to talk you into coming back, as the 3 most populated state, we don't need anymore people. lol Just curious as to what about living here as a kid made you not like it.
DeLand, between Daytona and Orlando. I believe you have to live over 6 months a year in a state to be counted as a resident so the retirees that come down for a few months a year don't count. I wonder about the percentage of retirees there in January.

I agree on FL taxes and can understand that draw.

I go down there at least 4-6 times a year as it is part of my sales territory and my family lives down there.

I prefer the seasons (Chattanooga doesn't get enough snow to matter), and find the FL weather to be far too hot to run/ride bikes/camp/any other outdoor activity for about 4-5 months a year. If you want to drive out of FL to some other destination prepare for a long trip or be happy you reached Southern GA or Southern AL. I prefer the mountains/hills that other states have, as well as fewer bugs. I can always put on more clothes for the above when it is cold but through the Summer months in FL you have to either get up really early, go really late or don't do anything outside (maybe the pool or beach but seems the biggest draw is laying there). For outdoor activities it has the beach but past that I don't see a lot that puts it above the rest.

Just my feeling, as you said it is one of the most populated states and if the people that are there like it great, no different than me not being a big fan of Southern California unless I didn't have to work and had a massive amount of money.
      09-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #84
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DeLand, between Daytona and Orlando. I believe you have to live over 6 months a year in a state to be counted as a resident so the retirees that come down for a few months a year don't count. I wonder about the percentage of retirees there in January.

I agree on FL taxes and can understand that draw.

I go down there at least 4-6 times a year as it is part of my sales territory and my family lives down there.

I prefer the seasons (Chattanooga doesn't get enough snow to matter), and find the FL weather to be far too hot to run/ride bikes/camp/any other outdoor activity for about 4-5 months a year. If you want to drive out of FL to some other destination prepare for a long trip or be happy you reached Southern GA or Southern AL. I prefer the mountains/hills that other states have, as well as fewer bugs. I can always put on more clothes for the above when it is cold but through the Summer months in FL you have to either get up really early, go really late or don't do anything outside (maybe the pool or beach but seems the biggest draw is laying there). For outdoor activities it has the beach but past that I don't see a lot that puts it above the rest.

Just my feeling, as you said it is one of the most populated states and if the people that are there like it great, no different than me not being a big fan of Southern California unless I didn't have to work and had a massive amount of money.
I was wondering if it were valid reasons or if it was just because of the stigma FL has.

All fair points and I hear you on several of them. I too prefer the mountains to pancake central and southern FL. I guess i'm acclimated to the heat, though i love the cooler months as well as downright cold weather. But i'd hate to work in bitter cold or snow. My brother and some other family live in Indianapolis. They all bitch about the weather here in FL, but when i went up there a few summers ago, it's just as friggin hot! So i figured that their summer is just as hot as ours, but they have to deal with 4 months of winter. I'll take 4 months of hot and 8 months of awesome.

In Tampa, we don't see an influx of snowbirds, so that's a non issue for me.

If you visit the vacation thread, you'll see that i just spent a week in Bar Harbor Maine. That's a nice place to be. I could get used to that place for sure. Hills, small mountains, coast line, islands, just as much breeze as Tampa, etc... but then you get the sobering reminder of winter when you see a fire hydrant because it has a 7' red and white pole sticking up above it so it can be found in the winter.

Nashville and Chattanooga are great cities though, my wife really liked Nashville when she was there for the R&R Marathon. And your right, having to drive at least 6 hours to get anywhere that doesn't look or feel like FL is a draw back. Especially if you like road trips. That's what was so great about western NC. 1.5 hour drive in any direction gets you to lots of great places. My father and i were hiking up there a month or so ago and we just kept asking why we didn't live there because it was such a quite beautiful place.

I have the same feeling as you about SOCAL. Only way i would live there is if i hit a major lottery or something. NORCAL though..... never mind, still California. I'll just be content visiting.

Have you spent much time in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, etc...?
      09-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #85
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I was wondering if it were valid reasons or if it was just because of the stigma FL has.

All fair points and I hear you on several of them. I too prefer the mountains to pancake central and southern FL. I guess i'm acclimated to the heat, though i love the cooler months as well as downright cold weather. But i'd hate to work in bitter cold or snow. My brother and some other family live in Indianapolis. They all bitch about the weather here in FL, but when i went up there a few summers ago, it's just as friggin hot! So i figured that their summer is just as hot as ours, but they have to deal with 4 months of winter. I'll take 4 months of hot and 8 months of awesome.

In Tampa, we don't see an influx of snowbirds, so that's a non issue for me.

If you visit the vacation thread, you'll see that i just spent a week in Bar Harbor Maine. That's a nice place to be. I could get used to that place for sure. Hills, small mountains, coast line, islands, just as much breeze as Tampa, etc... but then you get the sobering reminder of winter when you see a fire hydrant because it has a 7' red and white pole sticking up above it so it can be found in the winter.

Nashville and Chattanooga are great cities though, my wife really liked Nashville when she was there for the R&R Marathon. And your right, having to drive at least 6 hours to get anywhere that doesn't look or feel like FL is a draw back. Especially if you like road trips. That's what was so great about western NC. 1.5 hour drive in any direction gets you to lots of great places. My father and i were hiking up there a month or so ago and we just kept asking why we didn't live there because it was such a quite beautiful place.

I have the same feeling as you about SOCAL. Only way i would live there is if i hit a major lottery or something. NORCAL though..... never mind, still California. I'll just be content visiting.

Have you spent much time in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, etc...?
I'd say you're missing quite a bit down here in sunny SoCal. You should come and live here for at least a good six months. I'm almost positive you'd reconsider your apprehensive stance
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #86
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
I'd say you're missing quite a bit down here in sunny SoCal. You should come and live here for at least a good six months. I'm almost positive you'd reconsider your apprehensive stance
Yes. And then he'd reconsider again the moment the earth moves under his feet and a tidal wave sweeps in to destroy his beachfront home. That is if he survives.

All the best.

P.S.
I feel the same way about every place on the the "Ring of Fire." I feel about the same re: Iceland too, which is basically the other side of the same tectonic coin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #87
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tempting for sure. But aside from California having some elevation, FL having an abundance of drinking water, and a metaphorical gulf between political views, they feel about the same to me. Speaking specifically about San Diego.

No way i could live in LA. I felt like i needed a tetanus shot just from driving through there. lol Just like Arizona, Idaho, Utah, etc... California is a wonderful place to visit. But i'm pretty good where i am.

Wife just had a girls weekend in SF. The went to a few open houses. Places about the size of my living room are selling for $1mil. Screw that. Too densely populated for my taste.
      09-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #88
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

I didn't have much choice when I migrated to USA Iowa they told me if I move they will hunt me down and kill me. I am not about to make that mistake. JK
Appreciate 0