BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Career choices, 22 and looking for opinions

04-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #23
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzny View Post
Sorry, without context. My company has maybe 30-50 people in the office, our work is pretty straight forward. The best anyone can do here is solve some type of mistake or have a better understanding of our software. That I can do especially with do time. Even so I would have no one to "promote" me to people that could help me get to where I want to be.

I do think the best option is moving to a position in a firm where they atleast have positions I would like to be in
i c - well my mantra is that I am ALWAYS looking for a new job. So explore and see if there is something you would like to get into.

Also the Big 4 advice is great from another poster. That will lead you somewhere.
      04-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #24
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I'm in South Florida and know the Big 4 are always looking for people. They all have growing advisory practices as well. They also have pretty good paths to promotion and you can always move out of the Big 4 to something else pretty easily. Given that you have a degree in accounting, have you considered that as a starting point? (School won't matter but grades will.)
Yes, but I honestly want nothing to do with accounting. More interested in wealth management

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Grad schools take people with 1.5 years of experience?? Which grad school are you trying to go to?

Universidad de Poorest Part of Mexico?
Haha no, I meant if I get MBA I will graduate with 1.5 years experience in the workforce. I figure it'd take that long to graduate on the Fast Track program a few schools offer.

Quote:
i c - well my mantra is that I am ALWAYS looking for a new job. So explore and see if there is something you would like to get into.

Also the Big 4 advice is great from another poster. That will lead you somewhere.
I also thought that back when I was in school, but now that this is my first "real" job so to speak I don't want the short duration at my current office (assuming I leave) to reflect negatively on me going forward with potential employers
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:01 PM   #25
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

LOL, where did you come up with those salaries? You are 22 and anyone telling you "mid 100s" by mid 30s is giving you a false sense.

Not saying it can't happen, but you're still far away from there and no guarantees. A $150k job is not exactly common and if you're in a big market, it's not that much money.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:13 PM   #26
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
LOL, where did you come up with those salaries? You are 22 and anyone telling you "mid 100s" by mid 30s is giving you a false sense.

Not saying it can't happen, but you're still far away from there and no guarantees. A $150k job is not exactly common and if you're in a big market, it's not that much money.
What? I didn't "come up" with anything. NYSP salary information is public. They are the second highest paid state police in the country behind NJ and not trailing by much. Average is $112k, 5 second google search will tell you this.

Investigator in the Bureau of Criminal Investigation after 4 years of service or after 2 years of service with a Bachelor's Degree. Base Salary: $94,335
You may compete in the promotional process for the supervisory rank of Sergeant after 4 years. Base Salary: $105,441
You may compete in the promotional process for the middle management rank of Lieutenant after serving 2 years as a Sergeant. Base Salary: $126,050

That's without overtime, longevity bonus, and location bonus, which I'd qualify for being in the lower NY area.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 07:07 AM   #27
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:

$150k jobs are plentiful in finance, especially in Manhattan, and especially after a decade in the industry.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold

Last edited by KingOfJericho; 04-13-2016 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #28
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzny
22 Years old with an Undergrad in Accounting from a no name school. Planning on pursuing my MBA in Finance from a B-List school, currently employed full time in the Financial industry.

Ideally I want to work on the front end, either as an Analyst or a Manager for an investment firm or fund. To do that, I figure I'd have to take on $60k in grad school loans and absolutely kill it in school in terms of grades.

The issue, and why I am here for advice is that I have an opportunity to join the NYSP this year, and bump my salary $35k by next year and earn $95k within two to three years. Eventually topping out somewhere in the mid $100k's by my mid thirties. Along with that income I will also end up with roughly a $60k annual pension without having to contribute a dime and can retire by my mid 40's. That's a bit over $2MM assuming I live till 80.

Problem is I love finance, always have and would truly like to work in this industry. Not to mention I would not be tied down to a state I frankly no longer care to live in. I much rather move to SoFL. Along with all that joining the NYSP would essentially isolate me from all my friends and family for atleast 2 years as I almost guaranteed to be placed in a location hours from home. (NYC Metro area)
Have you taken the test, gone through processing in the final interviews and have been offered a position in the Academy? If not you have A LOT to learn about the NYSP.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #29
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
I suppose I can continue my job hunt again and try to place myself in a firm now. Although I am afraid of how that would look to employers if I start sending out my resume 4 months into my current position.
The advice that I was always given was that if you're going to leave, do it within the first year - otherwise stay for at least 3.
      04-13-2016, 08:00 AM   #30
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
22 Years old with an Undergrad in Accounting from a no name school. Planning on pursuing my MBA in Finance from a B-List school, currently employed full time in the Financial industry.

Ideally I want to work on the front end, either as an Analyst or a Manager for an investment firm or fund. To do that, I figure I'd have to take on $60k in grad school loans and absolutely kill it in school in terms of grades.

The issue, and why I am here for advice is that I have an opportunity to join the NYSP this year, and bump my salary $35k by next year and earn $95k within two to three years. Eventually topping out somewhere in the mid $100k's by my mid thirties. Along with that income I will also end up with roughly a $60k annual pension without having to contribute a dime and can retire by my mid 40's. That's a bit over $2MM assuming I live till 80.

Problem is I love finance, always have and would truly like to work in this industry. Not to mention I would not be tied down to a state I frankly no longer care to live in. I much rather move to SoFL. Along with all that joining the NYSP would essentially isolate me from all my friends and family for atleast 2 years as I almost guaranteed to be placed in a location hours from home. (NYC Metro area)
An MBA doesn't matter much unless you have experience and you go to an A-list school. Even then, unless you're shooting for upper management it doesn't go as far as sheer experience and knowing your shit. Also network your ass off. Whenever you find yourself in a position to meet others who are in your profession, do it.

Unless you absolutely hate jobs as you progress through your career, keep in touch with your superiors upon resigning. As they move on in their careers, they'll reach out to you as opportunities come up. I've gotten jobs without even interviewing for that reason alone.

As for your problem, your passion is finance, you've answered your own question. You'll make money there too, you won't get some cushy pension, but you're more likely to tolerate (maybe even "like") your job 10-20 years from now.

How much experience do you have in actual finance? Accounting and finance are two very different worlds.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #31
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:

It's definitely possible, especially working in finance. And at $150k if you're single with no kids, is quite a lot.

If you're married with kids and live in a big city, it's enough to comfortably get by.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #32
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
It's definitely possible, especially working in finance. And at $150k if you're single with no kids, is quite a lot.

If you're married with kids and live in a big city, it's enough to comfortably get by.
Definitely not in NY or San Francisco. You're practically on welfare.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #33
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmicha3l View Post
Don't think you should be asking for career advice on a car forum... Unless you want to become a mechanic..
Plenty of people on here are in finance?

OP - 2m stretched over 35 years of retirement doesn't sound all that glamorous. If you love finance, why not plan to stay in it?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #34
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Quote:
no name school doesn't matter if you really have talent. I would invest in the now and make a name for yourself. Don't bother with MBA until you get some experience. Heck I know people that run finance groups without MBAs and I'm on that path too.What does an MBA do? Get your foot in the door and teach you things you should have already known? If you make a name for yourself and therefore get connected, there you go, same shit as MBA without paying for it.

This advice is not for everyone though.
This. If you can't pull this off in your current environment, find a better company and prove yourself. Be indispensable. Work harder than everyone else. Become a subject matter expert.

This, if done right, will be just as if not more effective than an MBA while getting paid to learn.

Agree with the "not for everyone" comment though. Some folks really want and think they need the credential on their resume. Can't argue with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #35
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
$150k jobs are plentiful in finance, especially in Manhattan, and especially after a decade in the industry.
Yeah, but that's why I added it's not a lot of money in a larger city, particularly NYC where they'd be more common. It's like earning $80-90k in another big market (but cheaper) like Houston or Dallas.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #36
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Have you taken the test, gone through processing in the final interviews and have been offered a position in the Academy? If not you have A LOT to learn about the NYSP.
Yes, passed the test with a 98.7% have the physical early May. Psych and medical should also be no problem. Already went through this with NYPD, passed without issue. Did NYPD as a 'backup' plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
An MBA doesn't matter much unless you have experience and you go to an A-list school. Even then, unless you're shooting for upper management it doesn't go as far as sheer experience and knowing your shit. Also network your ass off. Whenever you find yourself in a position to meet others who are in your profession, do it.

Unless you absolutely hate jobs as you progress through your career, keep in touch with your superiors upon resigning. As they move on in their careers, they'll reach out to you as opportunities come up. I've gotten jobs without even interviewing for that reason alone.

How much experience do you have in actual finance? Accounting and finance are two very different worlds.
Always have, burning bridges is one thing I avoid like the plague lol
I know that, I chose an Accounting undergrad because I felt it would only be beneficial as opposed to Finance undergrad and grad degree.
Not much actual experience except for a small internship, but I am certain it's what I want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
Plenty of people on here are in finance?
OP - 2m stretched over 35 years of retirement doesn't sound all that glamorous. If you love finance, why not plan to stay in it?
Meh, $2MM over those 30 years is without me setting anything aside personally, which I would do. It is also without any income i can generate post retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
This. If you can't pull this off in your current environment, find a better company and prove yourself. Be indispensable. Work harder than everyone else. Become a subject matter expert.

This, if done right, will be just as if not more effective than an MBA while getting paid to learn.

Agree with the "not for everyone" comment though. Some folks really want and think they need the credential on their resume. Can't argue with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
The advice that I was always given was that if you're going to leave, do it within the first year - otherwise stay for at least 3.
I may have to do just this then, put my resume back out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #37
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 E46

op,

im in a similar position as you,

I working for a brokerage firm, mutual fund database. starting pay is 44,000 I been here for 11 months.

my dream job was to always become a police officer. I been waiting 2.5 years for NYPD to call me. still waiting for my medical

(went through process before for cadet corps, didn't make it)

im 23 years old and im confused by career choices as well. I want to become a police officer but the process is so tedious, im stuck bc as for me I don't know if im into finance and such. Do I work hard at my firm and have a career or if I get called by NYPD would I love it? We start out at the same salaries (im a criminal justice major and interned at a police department) loved it.

kind of miserable at mutual funds right now. its tough. but the pension and benefits of a police officer are well. You can still make great coin in law enforcement.

If u were you id probably go for state police, not even a question
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #38
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

Plastics.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #39
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Just what the world needs, another financial analyst.

Be a plumber or an electrician. The world needs more of them and you might even make more money. Get yourself a plumbing or electrical license and at least in FL, you'll be making $60k out of the gate. Be good at your trade and prove dependability, you'll be over $100k before you know it. One of my associates who owns a plumbing company recently told me that if they could find a guy who was licensed, insurable, and dependable, they'd hire him with a starting $120k salary. Heck, my most skilled installation crews, (two guys) the ones i depend on, received 1099s in the neighborhood of $180k to $200k for last year's work. And they're just flooring guys, no license, standards, etc...

Skilled tradesmen are in uber high demand because they aren't out there. You'll always have a job and most of those companies don't really have a succession plan because they can't hire anyone worth creating a succession plan which means there is also opportunity to buy out the owner of the company in the future.

OP, I'm not seriously suggesting you be a plumber, just posted in case you're interested in a different path.

Good luck to you!
      04-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #40
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzE46 View Post
op,
im in a similar position as you,
I working for a brokerage firm, mutual fund database. starting pay is 44,000 I been here for 11 months.
my dream job was to always become a police officer. I been waiting 2.5 years for NYPD to call me. still waiting for my medical
(went through process before for cadet corps, didn't make it)
im 23 years old and im confused by career choices as well. I want to become a police officer but the process is so tedious, im stuck bc as for me I don't know if im into finance and such. Do I work hard at my firm and have a career or if I get called by NYPD would I love it? We start out at the same salaries (im a criminal justice major and interned at a police department) loved it.
kind of miserable at mutual funds right now. its tough. but the pension and benefits of a police officer are well. You can still make great coin in law enforcement.
If u were you id probably go for state police, not even a question
Haha seems like we just need to switch roles. I did all the NYPD stuff already was supposed to go in for academy in January, turned it down. Simply wasn't interested in the NYPD. Trooper is something I'd like much more if I went LEO.

If you have any questions on the NYPD process feel free to PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Just what the world needs, another financial analyst.
Be a plumber or an electrician. The world needs more of them and you might even make more money. Get yourself a plumbing or electrical license and at least in FL, you'll be making $60k out of the gate. Be good at your trade and prove dependability, you'll be over $100k before you know it. One of my associates who owns a plumbing company recently told me that if they could find a guy who was licensed, insurable, and dependable, they'd hire him with a starting $120k salary. Heck, my most skilled installation crews, (two guys) the ones i depend on, received 1099s in the neighborhood of $180k to $200k for last year's work. And they're just flooring guys, no license, standards, etc...
Skilled tradesmen are in uber high demand because they aren't out there. You'll always have a job and most of those companies don't really have a succession plan because they can't hire anyone worth creating a succession plan which means there is also opportunity to buy out the owner of the company in the future.

OP, I'm not seriously suggesting you be a plumber, just posted in case you're interested in a different path.

Good luck to you!
haha pretty set on Finance, thanks though
Appreciate 1