BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > $490 Red Light Violation - CA

06-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #23
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
So you can volunteer to pay or not!?!?
I know, I know, some laws were made by apes I suppose.

But seriously, it's VOLUNTARY.

Last July, the red light camera ticket program through which tickets could get as high as $500 was shut down. Payment of the violations was already voluntary as of 2011.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #24
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
I know, I know, some laws were made by apes I suppose.

But seriously, it's VOLUNTARY.

Last July, the red light camera ticket program through which tickets could get as high as $500 was shut down. Payment of the violations was already voluntary as of 2011.
So I just call the San Mateo County court and "opt-out" of paying a voluntary $490 fine? Seems legit...
      06-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #25
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would follow up with the Palo Alto enforcement to see if it's still voluntary pay only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
So I just call the San Mateo County court and "opt-out" of paying a voluntary $490 fine? Seems legit...
As I mentioned in my previous post, if this is a red light camera ticket it's different. If it's a cop that caught you then it's a $490 facebook fine haha
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #26
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep

This was a red light camera..
      06-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #27
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
This was a red light camera..
oh ok, then my position stands. I know it may sound comical, but I'm 99% sure that you are not required to pay that fee. The red light cameras were deemed unconstitutional. I know this is the internet and people are full of shyt, but update this thread and prove me wrong.

Then send me a case of beer from the money you save
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #28
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
oh ok, then my position stands. I know it may sound comical, but I'm 99% sure that you are not required to pay that fee. The red light cameras were deemed unconstitutional. I know this is the internet and people are full of shyt, but update this thread and prove me wrong.

Then send me a case of beer from the money you save
I absolutely will. I'll also let you know if I get laughed at.
      06-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #29
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

..man, and I thought the $50 red light camera tickets in NYC were bad.. $490? that's just wrong..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #30
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
it's my understanding that appellate courts are split as to whether the red light ticket sceme complies with teh law (hearsay evidence rule and also right to confront witnesses) . not sure if the appellate court controlling san mateo county has weighed in but you should be careful about assuming payment is "voluntary"
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #31
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

My TSS instructor told me that paying the fine was an admission of guilt.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #32
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

$490 for a no points moving violation is egregious.

Even with the high Cost Of Living of some cities in California, I'd imagine that the vast majority of Californians (and Americans alike) would not be able to afford this fine without truly breaking the bank, or taking out a loan. Seriously.

But, since this fine is sadly the true price of the ticket, it is likely voluntary or there is an easy way to get it reduced down to next to nothing. This is unfortunately how the game is played with our taxpayer money nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #33
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
$490 for a no points moving violation is egregious.

Even with the high Cost Of Living of some cities in California, I'd imagine that the vast majority of Californians (and Americans alike) would not be able to afford this fine without truly breaking the bank, or taking out a loan. Seriously.

But, since this fine is sadly the true price of the ticket, it is likely voluntary or there is an easy way to get it reduced down to next to nothing. This is unfortunately how the game is played with our taxpayer money nowadays.
also everything i've seen says the red light ticket schemes do not increase safety
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #34
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
it's my understanding that appellate courts are split as to whether the red light ticket sceme complies with teh law (hearsay evidence rule and also right to confront witnesses) . not sure if the appellate court controlling san mateo county has weighed in but you should be careful about assuming payment is "voluntary"
My position is not to assume it's voluntary and simply ignore the fine, but to find out if the OP is required by law to pay the red light camera fine. It seems to vary from county to county in California, but I know for fact that LA county is not required to pay.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar...meras-20120329

The city Police Commission voted this week to end its contract with the company that operated L.A.'s cameras until they were shut off last summer. And authorities are now planning to reassign a small group of officers who regularly appeared in court to testify in contested photo enforcement cases.

After months of debate, the City Council voted in July to shut down the controversial program. Some officials publicly derided the steep red- light camera fines, which often topped $500, as "voluntary" because county courts were not aggressively penalizing those who simply ignored the citations.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #35
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My position is not to assume it's voluntary and simply ignore the fine, but to find out if the OP is required by law to pay the red light camera fine. It seems to vary from county to county in California, but I know for fact that LA county is not required to pay.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar...meras-20120329

The city Police Commission voted this week to end its contract with the company that operated L.A.'s cameras until they were shut off last summer. And authorities are now planning to reassign a small group of officers who regularly appeared in court to testify in contested photo enforcement cases.

After months of debate, the City Council voted in July to shut down the controversial program. Some officials publicly derided the steep red- light camera fines, which often topped $500, as "voluntary" because county courts were not aggressively penalizing those who simply ignored the citations.
well it was never "voluntary" if you read the article it's just that LA county wasnt aggressively prosecuting the tickets and kind of making it informally "voluntary"

his option is to fight it and try to make the same arguments that have prevailed in some counties but that would require an apperance which would cost the price of the ticket...conclusion = he's effed
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #36
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, in an unfamiliar car, in a city you don't frequent, you ran a red light while looking at Facebook???? Be glad they are only fining you $490 (not all that different than if an officer wrote you up for the same offense)

Rightfully, your insurance will skyrocket for a red light offense. If you had a Cali license, you would get extra points for this sort of violation.

For those with a picture in a left turn pocket, part of what is taken is your speed as well. When the picture of you making a left turn is accompanied by a speed of 3-5 mph, the ticket gets thrown away.
not facebook, he was looking at the facebook building's like symbol

this big sign outside the office
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #37
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Guys, he was looking at this sign, not actually looking at FB on his phone:

edit: guy above me beat me to it
      06-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #38
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 '14 E63 '05 E55K

Mines was like $470 here in Socal.
      06-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #39
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

no wonder the fine is so high.. those guys working at FB can afford it
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #40
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

490 is a lot, but I guess it's their way of saying "don't f*** around with our lights here."

How many of you guys practice your emergency braking skills? ABS? I don't think an average driver will experience HARD braking until an accident event occurs, during which an average driver typically has a tendency to freeze and do nothing. I think it's a good practice to hone your reaction time and braking technique to brake hard when it turns orange. Just make sure nobody is right behind you.

The comment about tipsy vs facebook is just ridiculous IMO. Shouldn't condone any type of DUI activity publicly here where naive children can take everything for granted. (I wanted to say some shit on that other retarded thread about drunk driving, but..) I've successfully passed through my college years with zero issues performing dozens of blacked out driving, but until one gets into his/her first accident with only 1-2 drinks and kills someone, he/she won't fully understand and respect the true depth of physiological and mental effects of consuming only 1-2 drinks.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #41
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Who said it was a "no points" violation? Not positive on camera version, but if an officer writes you that little love note, I think it's 3 points.

Red light violations are one step shy of criminal (i.e. misdemeanor reckless driving) and so are fined severely to stop/deter repeat offenses. The only offense that costs more is littering ($1000).
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #42
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Who said it was a "no points" violation? Not positive on camera version, but if an officer writes you that little love note, I think it's 3 points.

Red light violations are one step shy of criminal (i.e. misdemeanor reckless driving) and so are fined severely to stop/deter repeat offenses. The only offense that costs more is littering ($1000).
I was not pulled over, and I am out of state.
      06-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #43
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by will.c View Post
490 is a lot, but I guess it's their way of saying "don't f*** around with our lights here."

How many of you guys practice your emergency braking skills? ABS? I don't think an average driver will experience HARD braking until an accident event occurs, during which an average driver typically has a tendency to freeze and do nothing. I think it's a good practice to hone your reaction time and braking technique to brake hard when it turns orange. Just make sure nobody is right behind you.

The comment about tipsy vs facebook is just ridiculous IMO. Shouldn't condone any type of DUI activity publicly here where naive children can take everything for granted. (I wanted to say some shit on that other retarded thread about drunk driving, but..) I've successfully passed through my college years with zero issues performing dozens of blacked out driving, but until one gets into his/her first accident with only 1-2 drinks and kills someone, he/she won't fully understand and respect the true depth of physiological and mental effects of consuming only 1-2 drinks.
you're very preachy today
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #44
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Take the plates off!! I havent had a license plate on my car in over 2 years for that reason alone.
Appreciate 0