BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > White cars are safer cars

03-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

White cars are safer cars

I've seen a few criticisms of white cars around here in the last few days, from the fact that it shows that you couldn't afford a decent paint job to it looking crappy when dirty, FWIW this is why I've chosen a white car (that and the fact that our 2002tii was Chamonix):

Results of the analysis identified a clear statistically significant relationship between vehicle colour and crash risk. Compared to white vehicles, a number of colours were associated with higher crash risk. These colours are generally those lower on the visibility index and include black, blue, grey, green, red and silver. No colour was statistically significantly safer than white although a number of other colours could not be distinguished from white statistically in terms of relative crash risk. The association between vehicle colour and crash risk was strongest during daylight hours where relative crash risks were higher for the colours listed compared to white by up to around 10%.

Comparison of analysis results between the two states of Australia analysed suggested that vehicle colour also has an association crash severity with lower visibility colours having higher risks of more severe crashes.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...44442042,d.aGc
      03-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Actually bright yellow has been scientifically proven to be the colour that is most visible. Are you getting a bright yellow car soon?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Yes, I thought someone might say that. Trust it to be you.

And of course four cylinder cars have been shown to be safer than six or eight cylinder cars, but you have to draw the line somewhere.
      03-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F46 Gran Tourer, C220 AMG

All cars look crappy when dirty. I will never buy another black car for as long as I live. At least on a white car you can't see every single little scratch. Metallics need more effort to make them look really good I have found. But it's all personal. Each to their own!! :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Who said getting white means you couldn't afford anything else?

So all the m3 owners out there who got white and spent close to $200k (aus) on their car couldn't afford the extra $1.5k to get metallic? What rubbish

I got AP for my m135i as I think it looks the best for that car. But it's personal taste in the end. I also think EB looks fantastic but white edged it out in the end for me
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

In relation to colour, the only part of this worth watching is the part at the end where he rotates through a variety of different colours. I'm not sure if it translates into the real world, but different colours seems to impact on the lines of the car that you can see.

03-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Mine is white, although I'd have probably bought a red one if BMW did a decent red.

Yellow is definitely an acquired taste!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
Yes, I thought someone might say that. Trust it to be you.

And of course four cylinder cars have been shown to be safer than six or eight cylinder cars, but you have to draw the line somewhere.
Omg, I found the perfect car for you! Bright yellow, 4 cylinder AND the safety of AWD so you won't spin even when you turn off the stability control!

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

If you are going to buy a white F20/F21, it has to be a 'stand out'
It will need
1- M Sport package (125i or M135i)
2- M Brakes
3-Xennons
4- BMW Performance add on like rear spoiler and side skirt decals

5- Performance exhaust if you like it to be heard & noticed
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Omg, I found the perfect car for you! Bright yellow, 4 cylinder AND the safety of AWD so you won't spin even when you turn off the stability control!

Wow.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #11
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

White cars are rather invisible in the snowy season. And statistically, AWD cars are more likely to go off the road than 2WD cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 02:48 AM   #12
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Bear in mind, there's a huge difference between road conditions in Australia and the UK, or even Germany come to that.
I could drive a car across the whole of Germany and the Netherlands and it would still look clean and nice but 10 minutes after driving off the ferry into the UK it would be caked in road grime. UK roads are more usually wet and very dirty, so white in the UK is not like white in Germany, Italy, California or Australia.

Also bear in mind that when research says that there was no significant difference it either means that the sample size was very small or that the variation in data was greater than the actual difference measured.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 02:56 AM   #13
elstoof
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Statistically, AWD cars are more likely to go off the road than 2WD cars.

There's a lot of debate in cycling about wether so called "hi-vis" yellow should be made compulsory but in reality, one colour being more visible than another is a myth. It depends completely on the conditions; light levels, surrounding environment etc. and if all cars were white you'd stop seeing them individually amongst the sea of other white cars.

What you need to be "more visible" is light, and most cars have these already.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 03:48 AM   #14
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I think the colors chosen by the emergency services pretty accurately indicate which have the highest visibility. The snow issue is why the hi-vis colours prevail.

Here in Australia, snow is a relatively rare driving condition. White works well, not only for visibility, but also for its ability to reflect heat.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #15
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Timbo, to say snow is a relatively rare driving condition in Australia is a bit of an exaggeration. I mean, there is no snow at all in this country until you get up to an alpine ski resort in the middle of winter! Even then it would be only the last 2-3km with any snow, and it would be just about perfectly groomed anyway as it is the ski resort. Lol.

In any case, I think the point by SteveC is a really good one. In Australia (think California and you would be about right on the money with Australian climate) white may be perfect, but certainly not in Scandinavia!

In any case, I still think a bright yellow A45 is perfect for mdt. Wow.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #16
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Quote:
Not if he needs to cross the Great Victoria Desert!

Last edited by Dim73; 03-31-2013 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #17
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
In any case, I think the point by SteveC is a really good one. In Australia (think California and you would be about right on the money with Australian climate) white may be perfect, but certainly not in Scandinavia!

I have a better idea. You buy a M135i, chip it, stick in a M-sport exhaust, Quaife LSD then buy an A45. At which time I will be glad to give you $20k off the list price of your EB M135i.

Because that's what friends are for.
      04-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #18
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
I chose white for the following (maia reasons):

1. It is the best colour for hot climates, as it absorbs the least of heat from all other colours, especially the darker ones (not to mention black!). I remember a test that the Greek AMS magazine performed like 15 years ago, comparing the relation of exterior colour and cabin temperature, after the cars were left under the sun for 2 hours. The difference in cabin temperature (with outside temp aroun 37oC!) was close to 15oC, between the black and the white car!!

2. I was fed up with black cars, as for some strange reason all the cars that I bought second hand were black....and I do not even like black!

3. It is the easiest colour to keep clean (black is the worst). The lighter the colour, the less visible the dirt and mud. a black car 3 days after I have washed it starts to look dirty again, the white one even after a week still looks quite clean.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:26 AM   #19
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Alpine white is a good high visibility color. Its the only colour to have.

Space grey is the worst. Ti-silver isn't so bad in bright Australian daylight, but generally grey colours blend in with asphalt just like camouflage - I think they should be banned.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #20
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Strangely enough the best colour for the human eyes to see is GREEN as it is the last spectral colour to be seen.
We just don't recognise it as well as other colours on a moving object with our conscious mind.
But who would want to paint their BMW 'exit light' fluoro green anyway.
Sorry to all those who drive those little cars in 'Kermit' green

Buy whichever colour you like, just don't vinyl wrap it

If White is your thing, go for it

Don't fall for 'White is the new black' from the dealer.

White is always on special.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #21
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Strangely enough the best colour for the human eyes to see is GREEN as it is the last spectral colour to be seen.
We just don't recognise it as well as other colours on a moving object with our conscious mind.
But who would want to paint their BMW 'exit light' fluoro green anyway.
Sorry to all those who drive those little cars in 'Kermit' green

Buy whichever colour you like, just don't vinyl wrap it

If White is your thing, go for it

Don't fall for 'White is the new black' from the dealer.

White is always on special.
AND in Alpine White it is one of only maybe two non metallic colours in their range and as such it is cheaper. Save the cash and spend it on some of the looooong list of BMW's other options
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #22
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
If you are going to buy a white F20/F21, it has to be a 'stand out'
It will need
1- M Sport package (125i or M135i)
2- M Brakes
3-Xennons
4- BMW Performance add on like rear spoiler and side skirt decals

5- Performance exhaust if you like it to be heard & noticed
I really like the urban line in white! In white M-sport pack the rear grey bumper insert irritates me, it's the colour where it contrasts the most. (No offence meant to anybody with this colour combo, it's all about personal preference which is why there are so many combos on the 1 series in the first place!)

The urban line grille really is pretty... I've thought about adding it... but somehow just don't think it would look good on an estoril M sport

Surely DRLs are helping a lot with vehicle visibility, so this should be less of a factor these days?
Appreciate 0