BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > ZF8 Manual Down Shift Fail

07-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
ddtonni
China
Rep
Drives: M135i

ZF8 Manual Down Shift Fail

I drive a 2014 M135i for 54000km and now the paddle shifter showed a problem. Sometimes if I switch to manual mode and click the "-" paddle for down shift, it'll either not response or up shift. Using the gear selector to shift manually is fine, problem only occurs when down shifting with paddle. Pretty strange i'll say, anyone ever experienced similar problems?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
FlavioCG
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i F20

I'm having this same problem in the left paddle of my 125i 2014. The horn and cruise control also started to fail after a while. All problems related to a control board, inside the steering column. It will have to be replaced.

Watch out for the downs at high rpm. You can jump into first gear and swerve at your change.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
ddtonni
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioCG View Post
I'm having this same problem in the left paddle of my 125i 2014. The horn and cruise control also started to fail after a while. All problems related to a control board, inside the steering column. It will have to be replaced.

Watch out for the downs at high rpm. You can jump into first gear and swerve at your change.
Damn that sounds scary, I certainly don't wanna swerve or 10000rpm my engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtonni View Post
Damn that sounds scary, I certainly don't wanna swerve or 10000rpm my engine.
Don't worry. Automatic transmissions are all for those who can't drive: they are foolproof, you simply can't do the things you must avoid with a manual transmission. Whatever improper requests you issue with your faulty control board should be "politely" ignored by the computer operating the gearbox. Can you ever jump a gear, for instance (I mean in manual mode, not the computer selecting the most appropriate when you floor the gas pedal in a sport mode)?

A disclaimer: I might still be wrong, couldn't care less about ATs, but from the little I know about them you need a more general control failure than steering paddle/interface to select an auto gear arbitrarily.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 01:16 AM   #5
ddtonni
China
Rep

Thanks mate, after this I might go back to MT sometime, enough of these computer bull shit.
Appreciate 0