BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Side sensors - what are they even for?

10-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #1
Ronnyjoz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 125d M Sport, Estoril Blue

Side sensors - what are they even for?

I've recently swapped out my 2013 F20 for a 2016 F21. The old one had front and rear PDC which, while admittedly a little lazy on my part, served a purpose and was arguably useful.

Now they've added side sensors, which scream at you whenever you're even remotely close to the kerb, which of course you will be if you're parking. Worse, they scream at you in the same tone used by the rear sensors, totally negating the usefulness of the system, forcing you to turn it off and do it the old fashioned way (I find the mirrors slightly smaller than optimal for this task but that's another story).

It can't even be argued that they help with Park Assist as the car still insists in trying to drive up on the kerb whenever it feels like it (or worse, kerbing my rims). Perpendicular parking is a waste of time unless you're totally incapable of reversing into a space on the first attempt, so if that's their purpose it's a complete failure there too.

So my question is simple, and two fold:

Why, and how do I turn it off and go back to good old front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #2
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

they are for ...... http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...stant.html#t=l

the car finds with active pdc a spot where the car fits in.. so the drive have onty to set the rigt gears ( advices shown in display ) an push the pdc button.... the car drives in the parkinglot itself.... ( takes way longer than a good driver will need to .. )
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:16 AM   #3
Ronnyjoz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

My point was when parking manually the side sensors contribute nothing, and by detecting the kerb (which you already know is there) they render the rear sensors useless and give you the false impression that you're going to hit something when you're not. You can't turn them off without disabling the entire system.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I don't have the current F20, but our F48 X1 has this, and the PDC beeps come from all four corners, louder on the corner where you are near an obstacle, which is quite helpful. Oh, and yes it also has assisted parking, which I've tried once.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
Ronnyjoz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah, my old F20 had that, but with this this new one, presumably so that it can cope with perpendicular parking, it also detects objects at the sides of the car, even if those "objects" happen to be the kerb. Trouble is, since all they've done is extend the front and rear sensors to the wheelarches, you get the thing screaming at you all the time you're trying to park, even though you can see how far you are from the kerb (using the mirrors), rendering any front and rear audible cues completely useless. Worse still, you can't turn it off! Or rather, you can but it comes back on again the nex time you engage reverse.

I was quite happy with the way my old parking sensors worked, and I don't need my car to do perpendicular parking for me. I just want it to stop screaming at the kerbs. Damn thing still tries to drive over them if you let it park itself anyway, so what's the point?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 01:30 AM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnyjoz View Post
Yeah, my old F20 had that, but with this this new one, presumably so that it can cope with perpendicular parking, it also detects objects at the sides of the car, even if those "objects" happen to be the kerb. Trouble is, since all they've done is extend the front and rear sensors to the wheelarches, you get the thing screaming at you all the time you're trying to park, even though you can see how far you are from the kerb (using the mirrors), rendering any front and rear audible cues completely useless. Worse still, you can't turn it off! Or rather, you can but it comes back on again the nex time you engage reverse.

I was quite happy with the way my old parking sensors worked, and I don't need my car to do perpendicular parking for me. I just want it to stop screaming at the kerbs. Damn thing still tries to drive over them if you let it park itself anyway, so what's the point?
If you code them for Rolls-Royce, they are less annoying.
Appreciate 0