BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > First Thought When You See A Mercedes?

04-21-2017, 12:20 AM   #23
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
You little tantrum is way out of proportion to my post. I'm saying what probably goes through a lot of peoples' minds on a daily basis, probably more so when expensive exotic cars are involved.
not a tantrum, i just don't care about what other people value, to some, being able to lease an M3 could be a life goal, others may really want an M3 (and could easily afford one) but have other priorities, some people lease an expensive luxury car as a tax deductible perk

me, I stopped caring, if I see someone in a parking lot with a car that i like, i'll compliment them on it, and move along
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2017, 12:27 AM   #24
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
not a tantrum, i just don't care about what other people value, to some, being able to lease an M3 could be a life goal, others may really want an M3 (and could easily afford one) but have other priorities, some people lease an expensive luxury car as a tax deductible perk

me, I stopped caring, if I see someone in a parking lot with a car that i like, i'll compliment them on it, and move along
I mean I applaud the fact that you're very chill about this kind of stuff.

For me personally if I see an older gentleman in a brand new 911 the thought does cross my mind - "hmm, this guy seems pretty successful I wonder what he does for a living." I know people who in addition to complimenting the car will throw in a line like "Man what do you do and where do I sign up?"

For a lot of people luxury cars will remain an integral status symbol, but I think it's a poor proxy. I think one's house is a better indicator of wealth (although again you can absolutely run into people who are "house poor" and have the bulk of their assets tied up in their primary residence).
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:32 AM   #25
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Status symbols are funny. People who intend on using material goods as status symbols seem to want to do it indirectly.

"Look at the car I drive. Look at how expensive it is. Please applaud me for my success"

"Look at the watch I wear. It's a $15,000 watch. I want you to think 'man he wears a $15,000 watch that guy must be successful/affluent/well-off'"

One would hope that this sort of brash narcissism couldn't possibly be prevalent in the general population at large, but sometimes I wonder...

There aren't really any good statistics on this for obvious reasons. Most people play coy.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:53 AM   #26
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I mean I applaud the fact that you're very chill about this kind of stuff.

For me personally if I see an older gentleman in a brand new 911 the thought does cross my mind - "hmm, this guy seems pretty successful I wonder what he does for a living." I know people who in addition to complimenting the car will throw in a line like "Man what do you do and where do I sign up?"

For a lot of people luxury cars will remain an integral status symbol, but I think it's a poor proxy. I think one's house is a better indicator of wealth (although again you can absolutely run into people who are "house poor" and have the bulk of their assets tied up in their primary residence).
this could be a geographical problem, I'll fully admit that living in the Bay Area CA, could cloud my perspective. I see people who look like children driving i8s, Turbo S's, etc every day, i even saw a Mac F1 a couple weeks ago just going down a street where it absolutely did not belong

i just don't think about it that much anymore, if somebody's values manifest themselves as a nice car, i'll say 'nice car, how do you like it' i ran into a guy in a GTR (i'm not a gtr guy) i asked how he liked it, he was quick to tell me that he liked it better then his ferrari or his lambo, we had a nice brief conversation and that was that

i don't know, i don't really care that much, if i see a guy with a nice car that he is proud of, i'll say 'nice car' and probably ask how he likes it, he'll give me more
information then i am interested in, and we'll both walk away happy

Jay Leno might roll up to the rock store in a mustang, you just never know...and i personally don't care, if you are a car guy, you're ok with me
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:55 AM   #27
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Leasing has made it virtually impossible to assess an individual's financial status based on car model.

Gone are the days where you can go "That guy drives a new M3, he must be affluent." Now it's "That guy drives a new M3, it's probably a lease (statistically) and all I can discern about his financial situation is that he's at least middle class to be able to afford $10k-$12k/year in annual car payments."
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
why do you give a f*uck about somebody else's 'financial status' when you see a car, f*ck you and all who think like you
It looks like we found out who makes $13k/yr. ;P

95% of cars you see on the road tell very little about one's financial status. I love numbers and hearing about % of income spent on X, Y, Z, savings rates, etc... etc... but I have grown to realize that people are REALLY good at putting up fronts.

Friend had a household income of $250k/yr. His car was literally worth like $600. It was a piece of crap with dents, missing hub caps, hood that didn't close all the way, the works. He finally got a new car after driving that for over a year. His new car is <$30k.

It's kind of hard to fake being rich driving a $200k+ car though. $3k+ in car payments is not easy to fake.
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2017, 01:13 AM   #28
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post

95% of cars you see on the road tell very little about one's financial status. I love numbers and hearing about % of income spent on X, Y, Z, savings rates, etc... etc... but I have grown to realize that people are REALLY good at putting up fronts.

Friend had a household income of $250k/yr. His car was literally worth like $600. It was a piece of crap with dents, missing hub caps, hood that didn't close all the way, the works. He finally got a new car after driving that for over a year. His new car is <$30k.

It's kind of hard to fake being rich driving a $200k+ car though. $3k+ in car payments is not easy to fake.

Bitch, i'm spending more then 13k on private school next year (not happy about that fact)

I agree, cars don't mean shit, other than that guy likes that car, and really, that's as far as that relationship needs to go for me
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1136.50
      04-21-2017, 01:15 AM   #29
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post

Agreed.

And I hear you on the $250k/year guy.

Among Asian American circles in the united states, car prestige is in part a function of how much restraint one shows in purchasing a luxury vehicle. Many affluent 1st generation Asians living in the U.S. almost make a contest out of showing who can be the most frugal.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:20 AM   #30
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Speaking of education, that's probably the one area where 1st generation Asians will go all out in splurging (on behalf of their children).

A 1st generation Asian in the U.S. making $500k/year may cringe at the thought of spending more than $30k or $40k on a car, but you can bet they'll have no issue paying $50k/year in Harvard tuition if their child is fortunate enough to get accepted.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:54 AM   #31
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Back on topic.

Massive depreciations and repair bills.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #32
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
Depends on the MB right?

Al old 1980's diesel elicits a different response than an SL280 or any of the newer models
Oh my god, you have triggered a long-buried traumatic flashback of the MB turbodiesels of the 80's. Truly the bane of my existence in my early sports car days - they were the Prius of the day, slow 10-under-drivers, self-righteously doddering things that couldn't get out of their own way, with the added benefit of belching diesel fumes worse than today's city busses. My right foot is twitching now in the 'passing reflex'.

Nowadays I mostly think 'graspy showoff' or rich kid, depending on age/trim (the local university has kids driving >150k cars; not all those Asians are so smart about buying a quality education, some just go by the sticker price I guess).
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #33
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

I think: "There goes a car that has both a fuel pump and a water pump that will last more than 100,000 miles".
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #34
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Respect.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #35
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

I happen to like Mercedes. When one is seen, I go, well woulda lookit there. That's nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #36
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

superficial toast
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #37
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Well depends on the car.

C-class: prestige seeker (nothing wrong w/ that), likely between the ages of 25-45.
E-class: well-established in their career, has a family and decent home in the suburbs, and is likely above the age of 40.
ML (GLE): likes ugly mediocre vehicles.
GL (GLS): MILF status baby
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #38
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Speaking of education, that's probably the one area where 1st generation Asians will go all out in splurging (on behalf of their children).

A 1st generation Asian in the U.S. making $500k/year may cringe at the thought of spending more than $30k or $40k on a car, but you can bet they'll have no issue paying $50k/year in Harvard tuition if their child is fortunate enough to get accepted.
Growing up in the Indian community I found us to be very similar. The folks who came back in the '80s, for example, are overwhelmingly very frugal and sometimes downright cheap when it comes to cars. The people who do spend $$ generally opt for Lexus or Acura, and sometimes Mercs. They do it only to show off to other Indians. My folks let loose a little more cause they genuinely like cars (Bimmers, Audis) but they still won't pull the trigger on anything above $70K.

However, the most recent H1-B crowd of the past decade loves their base model 320i and C300 leases. They give absolutely no shits about driving dynamics and are a prime example of the type of customer BMW is catering too.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #39
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Depends on the model, anything from amusement/pity for the driver trying to show off in their CLA 250 to "I wish my wife had let me get that" when I see a C63s to "Hey that's our CEO" when I see the new GT
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #40
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

Never had one but I like the looks of the front of the new c coupe. The very high end one are rely beautiful autos. Truthfully never give them much thought at all when driving by or parked just not that interesting a brand for me.
As to status symbol or wealth indicator could care less about what anybody else has , big time or a chump not gonna effect my life or opinion of their ride or persona.
      04-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #41
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Don't know where all this benzhate comes from....wife has a c250 sport. Nice car and drives well.
I had a '95 C 280 and '99 C 280 Sport. I really loved both my C-Classes. My GF drives one now and we got it due to my past experiences with the two I owned. It's a great car and serves it's purpose (long road trips).
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      04-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #42
capo180
Private
Rep
Drives: M235

One thought is, wish it came with a manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #43
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Another mercedes headlight out?

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #44
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

I loved my merc. I had a 2008 c300 4matic. NEVER gave me engine problems and only once left me stranded on a ignition sensor problem. Maintenance cost was high but it was like floating on a pillow and dependable. The 1'er, It's like sitting on a hand grenade tied to my gear shift. Never know when it will explode.
Appreciate 0