BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Great drive..fed up with quality issues

02-19-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
vickster24
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: bmw 116i A urban midnight blue

Great drive..fed up with quality issues

Hi all,
To cut a long story short, car is April 2012 116iA, 72000km, has changed expansion bottle twice, changed turbo water pump, numerous o-rings, water pump, now turbo leaking oil everywhere.. WTF, still water lost...now garage has to order parts for turbo hose...o-rings, expansion bottle cap..etc etc. Just fed up right now, and the thing is costing me a lot..not mentioned all the other parts that have been changed over the last 4 years, brake pads, steering column bits and pieces..
Anyone has had this oil issue?

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

Uhm....no....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

We have not had a single issue with our 2012 116i. Even the rear wiper is still holding up after four winters!

I have replaced all the brake pads, but that is not really an issue, since I have used the car on race tracks quite a few times.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 01:15 AM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

A cold day in hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickster24 View Post
Hi all,
To cut a long story short, car is April 2012 116iA, 72000km, has changed expansion bottle twice, changed turbo water pump, numerous o-rings, water pump, now turbo leaking oil everywhere.. WTF, still water lost...now garage has to order parts for turbo hose...o-rings, expansion bottle cap..etc etc.
Hi,

Your car appears to suffer from severe temperature issues. I've failed to have been to Mauritius so far (it's a bit too expensive ), but "in theory" it's rather hot there beside Africa (although Wikipedia claims not really hot). Therefore it should be either overheating not handled properly by the car's computer - in this case replacing those failing parts is no remedy to the actual issue (but if it were really the case you should've ruined your engine already), or you may be just too harsh to the car: even in the warm climate you should not set off immediately and push it hard at once - give the engine a few minutes of idling and/or drive moderately the fist few minutes/miles to let it gain temperature gently. To go easy on the turbine coolant pump, try to reduce temperature gently too by driving moderately before you stop. Did you tune the engine without letting us know? Do you change oil frequently enough, is it the recommended type? Do you use literally water to cool the engine or do you follow the manufacturer's instruction which might suggest a less boiling chemical liquid for your climate?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 05:07 AM   #5
vickster24
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: bmw 116i A urban midnight blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Hi,

Your car appears to suffer from severe temperature issues. I've failed to have been to Mauritius so far (it's a bit too expensive ), but "in theory" it's rather hot there beside Africa (although Wikipedia claims not really hot). Therefore it should be either overheating not handled properly by the car's computer - in this case replacing those failing parts is no remedy to the actual issue (but if it were really the case you should've ruined your engine already), or you may be just too harsh to the car: even in the warm climate you should not set off immediately and push it hard at once - give the engine a few minutes of idling and/or drive moderately the fist few minutes/miles to let it gain temperature gently. To go easy on the turbine coolant pump, try to reduce temperature gently too by driving moderately before you stop. Did you tune the engine without letting us know? Do you change oil frequently enough, is it the recommended type? Do you use literally water to cool the engine or do you follow the manufacturer's instruction which might suggest a less boiling chemical liquid for your climate?
Hi No one
thanks for your comments.
I have a 3,5-4km drive on leaving home where the average speed will be 50kph. Drive slower than that in a BMW would be a crime..
I have had a race chip previously, buts that some time back and had it removed,
The oil is changed every 10000km as per specs recommended by BMW
During the servicing, the garage adds coolant, but since i have had recurrent issues with coolant leakage with turbo water pump replaced, expansion bottle replaced, some water pipes changed, a second expansion bottle replaced and lastly the coolant pump replaced.
In my opinion, this is my second BMW with serious coolant leakage problems, and there is a quality issue.. in some areas, but then it may just be bad luck. However, I cannot accept so many problems in car that cost that much..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickster24 View Post
Hi No one
thanks for your comments.
I have a 3,5-4km drive on leaving home where the average speed will be 50kph. Drive slower than that in a BMW would be a crime..
i usually roll with 40,and 30 on my street
Appreciate 0