BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Quaife LSD in Australia

08-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
SJP013
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quaife LSD in Australia

Hi all

Anyone here in Oz:

- Had a Quaife LSD fitted?
- Thinking of getting one fitted?

I understand it's a bit of a process, but if Birds were able to do a supply and replace option (supply full assembly, and then send back the standard assembly) it wouldn't be that difficult/expensive to fit.... however the freight would add up u guess,

Having been on some spirited drives since getting the M135i, i'm definitely considering the LSD if we can get them here ok.

Cheers
Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
jozeff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

I'm sure the facelift will come with a BMW performance LSD option like in the M235i
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJP013 View Post
Hi all

Anyone here in Oz:

- Had a Quaife LSD fitted?
- Thinking of getting one fitted?

I understand it's a bit of a process, but if Birds were able to do a supply and replace option (supply full assembly, and then send back the standard assembly) it wouldn't be that difficult/expensive to fit.... however the freight would add up u guess,

Having been on some spirited drives since getting the M135i, i'm definitely considering the LSD if we can get them here ok.

Cheers
Scott
Thinking about it - I'd be happiest to have it done in Sydney but no idea who is the best person to approach about it.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
SJP013
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
Thinking about it - I'd be happiest to have it done in Sydney but no idea who is the best person to approach about it.
I have contacted Birds to see if they have any thoughts as to supply in Sydney. Will let you know!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Nice work, thanks
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Hello.

I found this "official dealer" for Australia:

Southern BM
2 Elna Court
Moorabbin
+ 0061 39 555 4049
andrew@southernbm.com.au
www.southernbm.com.au

I am wondering if you gentlemen are leaning on swapping the differential, or have Quafe build one out of your own diff? The difference is swapping takes almost no time, if they have the parts they will just swap it in, but it would be someone else's diff to begin with. However if you want them to build it out of your very own diff, you will have to endure some time without the use of your car, as the LSD is built out of your car. Just wondering.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
SJP013
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
Hello.

I found this "official dealer" for Australia:

Southern BM
2 Elna Court
Moorabbin
+ 0061 39 555 4049
andrew@southernbm.com.au
www.southernbm.com.au

I am wondering if you gentlemen are leaning on swapping the differential, or have Quafe build one out of your own diff? The difference is swapping takes almost no time, if they have the parts they will just swap it in, but it would be someone else's diff to begin with. However if you want them to build it out of your very own diff, you will have to endure some time without the use of your car, as the LSD is built out of your car. Just wondering.
Hi All, I have spoken with Andrew Brian at Southern BM after being referred to them by Birds.

Currently they don't offer a replacement service (they do for E82 135). This is where they send you the diff to install, and you send yours back (if you're interstate - if you're in Melbourne they can do it all for you.).

So currently, you need to remove yours, supply to them - the then build it into a Quaife LSD in 3 day turnaround, and then send back to you - then you have it re-fitted. Price I have been quoted for this is $3500 including shipping. It's a pretty major logistical operation for this as i'm in Sydney and the car would be sitting idle for over a week somewhere waiting for the parts.

Andrew from Southern BM did say they would look at doing a replacement offering like they do with the E82 135 if the demand for it rises enough. This would be a much simpler swap.

SO.... anyone interested at $3500 for a replacement option? If there's enough people interested then they will consider.
- Sunday Cruiser: 78 Cadillac Coupe Deville - 100% Original - 7L V8 - 56000 miles.
- Track toy: 94 Subaru WRX GC8 - 2.5L - Straight cut gears & LSDs - motec - 465hp - cage = fun.
Appreciate 0