BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Options for a used BMW as a first car

05-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
Badkill123
Registered
Rep
Drives: looking for one

Options for a used BMW as a first car

So i've been saving up for some time and i'll be buying my first car for around 6-7k euros in summer. I always loved the way the 5series e60 looked and i am considering the 525d/530d options year 2004-2006. Location is eastern eu, car will be bought in germany. So to any diesel e60 owners, how does it hold up? Any issues that start popping up after certain km? How is the repair-ability and accessibility of this car since all maintenance would be done at an indy mechanic. Any big electrical issues with this vehicle? True or not i've heard that the older e90 and e60's were very prone to electrical issues (don't know the validity of this, as this was said by a mechanic i know) And any other advice or options i should consider would be very welcome.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

All BMWs are prone to electrical issues. But there are also many gems.

If you want to be certain you're buying a solid car, make sure your indy shop has good knowledge of the vehicle. If not, I'd truly suggest talking to a local BMW dealer and getting a proper look over from someone who is mechanically and technologically familiar with the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Have you considered a lease? For my little brother so is getting a car this summer; I'm thinking of just leasing a WRX so that I know he has a car that works and is covered in case anything breaks.

But then again, I'm not sure how it works in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
Badkill123
Registered
Rep
Drives: looking for one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Have you considered a lease? For my little brother so is getting a car this summer; I'm thinking of just leasing a WRX so that I know he has a car that works and is covered in case anything breaks.

But then again, I'm not sure how it works in Europe.
Leasing is basically just called buy-out rent here. Its not worth it for a cheaper car especially for a first one. I simply dont see point in it unless you're buying almost brand new
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

First car?

If I assume correctly, that means you are young. Get a reliable car that is inexpensive to maintain and repair. Establish yourself in your career and then slowly start to move up in cars.

Your retirement fund and the 65 year old version of you will thank you.

Prosperity takes sacrifice.
Appreciate 1
UPSROD941.00
      05-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

I'd get an E30 as a first car. They are less expensive than the newer BMWs, and any money you put in you will get back in utility or resale value, if you can find a nice one. I really liked my first E30 and wish I had never sold it.
      05-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
KSERGEI-BY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 tdi DCT

There is a local bmw club in Lithuania, google and ask them for a help. Е60 for a 7-8 euros would be a high milliage piece of junk. Especially diesel.
Get yourself something reliable and inexpencive for a fist couple of years of your driving experience.
      05-22-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
Mikewrite
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3 M-Sport

Consider an e36 328is 5-spd stick. I still have my 97, about 250k, and it's a blast to drive. Had some suspension and braking mods done, and a CAI...

Not a lot of power, although it can be modded if you want to go that route, but it handles very well, and there are plenty of suspension mods to make it even better.

Find one that hasn't been beat to death, garaged so the paint is good, hopefully a weekend driver with no or minimal track use so it's relatively low and low-stress mileage. If it hasn't already had this done, immediately swap the stock rad for aluminum - the plastic necks for the upper hose WILL fail around 100k. Upgrade the water pump as well, either a quality aluminum one or the most recent BMW OEM part, which I understand has had the vanes improved.

I haven't had any rust issues, had the clutch rebuilt once and replaced the dash module when the gauges got screwy. Oh - the brake light switch can be a replacement item, cheap.

Biggest issue for me has been the quality of the interior - vinyl peeling on the door cards, headliner needed replacing, door cards come loose, general cheap quality inside. I still love the car.

Fairly easy engine to work on, I replaced my own radiator, water pump, coolant bottle and switches; plugs several times; valve cover and plug gaskets; upper crankshaft position sensor (that fix brought the car back to new life).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #9
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Stick with any N/A inline 6 cyl. BMW that suits your style, then find one that's well documented and well cared for - then give that person your money.