BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Auto Sport Gearbox - Ability to hold the gear with high rev (with photos update)

08-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, 118d & 125i f20

Thumbs up Auto Sport Gearbox - Ability to hold the gear with high rev (with photos update)

Dear all,

I have already picked up my 125i yesterday. I will upload some photos later on.

So the (performance) spec on my car is roughing like this, can't list all:
- Sport Gearbox
- Adaptive Steering
- Sport suspension
- M Brake (it's HUGE compare to the normal one. Completely filled up all gaps/space inside the rim. I have an impression the disc is bigger than the normal 1's, I will compare with my 118d later on today)

I've find out a good way to stop the engine from upshifting automatically (confirmed by the dealer & user handbook).

The following is required:
1) You need a SPORT Gearbox, not normal gearbox
2) Using Sport+ mode

What you need to do is to either use the stick or Shift Paddles to change gear, you can stay in the high rev as long as you like when attacking corner. Automatic shift is totally disabled. Click-down is also disabled as well.

What does that mean???
- You can have full control of the 8 speed gearbox like a manual car without a clutch
- Effective engine braking
- Stay in any high red rev zone as long as you like Hear the engine sound.

Cheers,
Piero

Update on 26/09/12 - Photos Update, Enjoy!!

(for easy reference, I post photo up on the top of the post. Just a few quick snap before I can properly done up some next week)

Last edited by pierokwong; 08-25-2012 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Photos Update
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Yes you can hold it in gear at higher revs and even at very low revs, however Both are overriden if you try to exceed the rev limiter (high or low)
It will change up automatically or it will not let you downshift.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I have never driven a car with automatic gearbox where automatic shifting can be disabled completely. It is very strange to me that you can select manual mode, and the gearbox still does kickdowns or shifts up at the rev limiter, and I would never buy such a car. If BMW has finally fixed this annoying flaw, that is great news.

If I drive at 1200 RPM and floor the throttle, I want maximum torque at 1200 RPM, not a down shift. If I want a down shift, I will activate the shift paddle or put it in auto mode.

I recently drove a Volvo S40 with small engine and automatic gearbox. Going uphill on highways, it could not keep up the speed in 7th gear, so it automatically selected 6th gear. Then it accelerated. If I lifted the throttle enough to stop accelerating, it shifted back up to 7th. Then I gave it enough throttle to keep the speed, and it went back down to 6th. Impossible to keep a constant speed! Even with cruise control, it went through this silly cycle repeatedly.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures Piero.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Rev limiters on all modern engines are set at rev limits that the engine can run at safely (water and oil temp monitored) so you cannot blow up them up.

The Sport auto in Sport+ mode (manual operation via paddles or stick) will allow you to rev to the limit and hold it there in each gear but try to push past it and it will either move up a gear if one is available (Auto) or the engine management system will cut the power back (auto or manual) (I prefer that it changed up than cut power).
In low revs it will try to pull in the selected gear first if the torque is available or shift down if not (auto).

A manual will allow you to use the full rev range, however the engine management system will still cut power if the rev limit is exceeeded.

This is in the engine's protection system.

I cannot comment on how the auto performs in the 116i using a standard auto.
The rev range and torque of the 125i with Sport auto is very usable and the paddles are very predicable and responsive.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

In response to some of the post here, the best way is to refer to the user handbook if you got one.

On page 64, it provides the following:

"Manual Shift Mode M/S: Avoiding Automatically Changing Up

To reach the maximum the engine speed in manual shift mode M/S it automatically upshifts as needed.

With the SPORT AUTOMATIC GEARBOX, these automatic shift processes are not carried out if one of the following conditions is met:

1) DSC deactivated
2) TRACTION activated
3) SPORT+ activated

The Kick-Down is also deactivated."

Even with manual gearbox, you may not wanna use the wrong gear, like extremely over-rev or under-rev. That will blown the engine as well. Of course the auto gearbox won't allow you to do that. Just for the sake of protection.

If your speed are within the normal range, you can shift into the lower gear if you like, and you can stay there to the redline, and it won't upshift.

I have already tired that out. This work on mine.

But if anyone are talking about saying at the redline for extended period of time like a min or two, I guess nobody will do that even with a manual gearbox. Some silly over-rev (with excessive speed for such a gear can handle) can kill an engine. If anyone are doing this, I guess this is more about a bad driving habit and no technology can help with such a silly attempt to kill an engine.

Once again, simple technique as suggested by BMW and that works on the new Sport Gearbox. I am not sure if the same happen on normal gearbox or not.

Common sense applied as per driving a normal manual. I stay with the reasonable manual rules and it works on this new Sport Gearbox.

I am going back on the road and trying to enjoy more driving fun now

Last edited by pierokwong; 08-25-2012 at 07:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I recently drove a Volvo S40 with small engine and automatic gearbox. Going uphill on highways, it could not keep up the speed in 7th gear, so it automatically selected 6th gear. Then it accelerated. If I lifted the throttle enough to stop accelerating, it shifted back up to 7th. Then I gave it enough throttle to keep the speed, and it went back down to 6th. Impossible to keep a constant speed! Even with cruise control, it went through this silly cycle repeatedly.
Ovekvam, that's why we are all driving a BMW but not a "Bloody-Volvo" (commonly called in Australia)

BWM give you a much better and smarter gearbox
      08-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Piero
I think F20MAW73 was refering to you posting pictures of your new ride as soon as possible

The thead is good, it has created debate and hopefully some advise has been provided for those who want to know more about the F20
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Piero
I think F20MAW73 was refering to you posting pictures of your new ride as soon as possible

The thead is good, it has created debate and hopefully some advise has been provided for those who want to know more about the F20

Thanks for pointing that out mate. Reading too quickly and absolutely misread that. My apology and I have removed that comment now

Without a doubt, the F20 is a really good car, and I have purchased two within 1 year. The 118d last Dec & 125i just picked up yesterday.

I will put on some photos soon. Really busy with work on the weekend. We try to get some nice pic early next week. hahahahaa, don't wanna show any iPhone photo here.

Enjoy your weekend buddy!

Piero
      08-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]
Good on yer Piero.

Pictures!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Dear all,

Just uploaded some photos here. Sorry about the bad quality photos. Really busy with bookings during the weekend.

Before I can properly done up some photos next week, just quickly upload a few snap for you guys. Enjoy!!

I leave photos up on the top of the 1st post for easier reference.

Piero
      08-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Hi Piero
When I was first looking at a 125i, I was told by the dealer that only 125iM Sport was being brought in. I was going to order the M Sport anyway.
Is the car pictured your 118d (nice ride)
We are all looking forward to see your pics of the 125i
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Hi Piero
When I was first looking at a 125i, I was told by the dealer that only 125iM Sport was being brought in. I was going to order the M Sport anyway.
Is the car pictured your 118d (nice ride)
We are all looking forward to see your pics of the 125i
That's the 125i with M-Brake =D The size is almost like double up the one in my 118.

I am not sure if 118 comes with this option or not.

Also 125 have two exhaust rather than the single on in 118.

btw, I guess we've better shop around with a few different dealers. BMW Australia can order 125i with different options.

For example, my version is more towards the performance side, nothing touched in the look. On the other hand, M Sport package will give you a lot more cosmetic upgrade (some performance as well).

But both are open options are you definitely have the choice. Maybe only the your dealer didn't get that in, but definitely not only with M Package.

Last edited by pierokwong; 08-25-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #14
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Congrats on the new car hope your pleased with it.

I've ordered my 125i with the m sport brakes. I must admit I opted for these for looks more than anything. Hopefully they will also provide improved braking performance. Interested to know you thoughts on these.

Ps nice pictures........you've really set the benchmark. Now the rest of us will look like complete amateurs!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #15
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I like your "bad quality" pictures. Nice vignetting on the first one.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #16
AdrianB
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 125i M Sport

Congrats on the car, it looks great in the crimson !
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #17
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I see you notice effective engine braking as one of the benefits of the manually controlled automatic gearbox. On the 116i I have a manual gearbox, but the engine braking is still disappointingly weak. The car reports it is regenerating the energy, but I expecteded more braking power from this system.

When going downhill, I often need to go down to second gear to stay below the 80 km/h speed limit. My old E30 318iS could do the same hill in fourth gear, and that car had no energy regenerating system.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 03:29 AM   #18
watchhok
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 135iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierokwong View Post
Dear all,

I have already picked up my 125i yesterday. I will upload some photos later on.

So the (performance) spec on my car is roughing like this, can't list all:
- Sport Gearbox
- Adaptive Steering
- Sport suspension
- M Brake (it's HUGE compare to the normal one. Completely filled up all gaps/space inside the rim. I have an impression the disc is bigger than the normal 1's, I will compare with my 118d later on today)

I've find out a good way to stop the engine from upshifting automatically (confirmed by the dealer & user handbook).

The following is required:
1) You need a SPORT Gearbox, not normal gearbox
2) Using Sport+ mode

What you need to do is to either use the stick or Shift Paddles to change gear, you can stay in the high rev as long as you like when attacking corner. Automatic shift is totally disabled. Click-down is also disabled as well.

What does that mean???
- You can have full control of the 8 speed gearbox like a manual car without a clutch
- Effective engine braking
- Stay in any high red rev zone as long as you like Hear the engine sound.

Cheers,
Piero

Update on 26/09/12 - Photos Update, Enjoy!!

(for easy reference, I post photo up on the top of the post. Just a few quick snap before I can properly done up some next week)

Sorry to for going off topic, but you're wheels are 17' or 18'? and are those M brakes the same on the M135i?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #19
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

The tire says 225/45-17, so it must be 17" wheels...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #20
watchhok
Private
Rep

is there a difference withe these brakes and the brakes on the m135?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #21
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I think the brakes are the same. They exist in two different colors, depending on whether they are M Sport brakes or Performance brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #22
watchhok
Private
Rep

Because I heard that the brakes on the m135i demand 18' wheels for the brakes... But I don't prefer 18'
Appreciate 0