BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Next Chapter of BMW Styling Will Feature Fewer Lines and Buttons

01-31-2018, 01:09 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Next Chapter of BMW Styling Will Feature Fewer Lines and Buttons

Via Automotive News

Quote:
DETROIT — After criticism that the look of its vehicles hasn't changed enough, BMW aims to usher in a new chapter of design with six vehicles set to debut in 2018.

The new direction debuts with the X2 coupe-styled crossover shown this month at the Detroit auto show and going on sale in the U.S. this spring, said Adrian van Hooydonk, senior vice president of design for BMW Group.

"We're going to clean things up; we're going to use fewer lines; the lines that we'll have will be sharper and more precise," van Hooydonk told Automotive News. "On the interior, we're going to have fewer buttons — the cars will begin to show their intelligence, so you have to give it less input."

With the changes, BMW designers will pull each car further from "its next of kin" in the model lineup, he said. "You'll find the cars will become stronger in character and separated more from one another."

In addition to the X2, the other vehicles on van Hooydonk's list are the redesigned X4 and X5 crossovers, the new 8-series coupe, the redesigned 3-series sedan and the new X7 large SUV. While the X7 isn't slated to go on sale in the U.S. until early 2019, BMW will unveil the production version and start assembling it this year.

Differentiation is a clear goal. Some BMW critics have said consumer consideration for the brand's vehicles has suffered in part because of staid redesigns that failed to overhaul a vehicle's looks significantly.

"Or maybe you could say the competition changed more than we did," van Hooydonk said.

BMW in the past aimed to alternate bigger changes with smaller changes when it redesigned a model, he said. That meant every second model generation stood out more.

"In the world that we live in now, that's not enough," van Hooydonk said. "There is more competition now. The world has changed. It's faster pace. So our design needs to change faster as well."

Van Hooydonk's team plans to introduce something new and modern to the brand with each new or redesigned vehicle that comes out.

The X2, for example, carries BMW's signature kidney grill, but it's been flipped over. The grille and headlamp arrangement is one area where more differentiation among vehicles will happen, van Hooydonk said.

The X2's side view breaks the mold created with the larger X4 and X6 coupe-styled crossovers, he said.

One difference: the BMW roundel logo embedded in the C pillar. It brings back a styling move seen on vehicles such as the E9 3.0 CS back in the '70s.

"But we're doing it only on X2, by the way," van Hooydonk said, "because we wanted it as something for people to recognize this car by in traffic."

His team will show more examples in the redesigned X4 and X5, expected to be out later this year. The 8 series, which has been seen only in concept form, will be another big contributor to the new design approach.

"Everything that comes out from now going forward will play a big role," van Hooydonk said. "The 8 series is going to combine all of these elements in a very new shape."

Full article @ http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...EM03/180129794
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      01-31-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
A lack of mention of the supposed m2 in these articles always interests me
stefan2354.00
      01-31-2018, 09:12 AM   #3
professor_yo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Damn that thing is looking more and more like a Lexus each time I see it...
Appreciate 3
      01-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
acstchris
Registered
Rep
Drives: saphire 335i XDrive

"The 8 series is going to combine all of these elements in a very new shape." Let's see where they take it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh600cbr View Post
A lack of mention of the supposed m2 in these articles always interests me
The M2 is a niche vehicle, one based on a platform from 7 years ago. These types of interviews/statements are always about the "new and shiny" of design and platforms, and the M2 is neither.
Appreciate 4
Brake_Late1937.50
JustChris17487.50
      01-31-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

"because of staid redesigns that failed to overhaul a vehicle's looks significantly."

G30/F90 is the PERFECT example. While not bad, they both failed to overhaul the vehicle's looks significantly from the previous generation. Especially with design features that still includes the headlights touching the grills and the floating iDrive screen on the G30. I still have suspicion that the G20 3-Series will get a lot of the same design characteristics as the G30 and the G12. Side view mirror design being one of them. Each Series needs to have it's own distinct and separate look. This means that the side view mirrors on the 7 looks completely different than that of the 5, and the 3 -Series has its own mirror design, for example. Enough of this cookie cutter transfer of design architecture from one model to the next.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
Too__Hu///Mble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 ///M

A new beginning...

A humble approach to admit that the current design of this generation of cars wasn't a success. I like when a person more so a company can confront these mishaps and show us why and how they will improve.

I agree with the kidney grille being flipped. It gives it a more aggressive and stylistic presence. Of course that's my opinion.

I leave you forum members with this question:

From all of the cars in the current gen, which has the "best overall" styling, preferably in m-sport trim?
Appreciate 1
RPiM52873.00
      01-31-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Fuck autonomous! BMW offer/make one model like the McLaren F1, pure race breed with none electronic nannies!
Appreciate 1
clbmw632.50
      01-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
Too__Hu///Mble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
"because of staid redesigns that failed to overhaul a vehicle's looks significantly."

G30/F90 is the PERFECT example. While not bad, they both failed to overhaul the vehicle's looks significantly from the previous generation. Especially with design features that still includes the headlights touching the grills and the floating iDrive screen on the G30. I still have suspicion that the G20 3-Series will get a lot of the same design characteristics as the G30 and the G12. Side view mirror design being one of them. Each Series needs to have it's own distinct and separate look. This means that the side view mirrors on the 7 looks completely different than that of the 5, and the 3 -Series has its own mirror design, for example. Enough of this cookie cutter transfer of design architecture from one model to the next.
I agree with you. I have been getting a lot of loaners lately paying attention to the parts of cars I was given.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it's more so of the BMW binning All there parts from the higher premium models (gear shifters, tachometer, and side mirrors) such as 5er, 7er.
To reduce costs and as a byproduct the design language took a hit because of it.
I've been in a X1, X3, and 4GC. I've seen a lot of parts from the F chassis Gen being used.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:39 AM   #10
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too__Hu///Mble View Post
I agree with you. I have been getting a lot of loaners lately paying attention to the parts of cars I was given.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it's more so of the BMW binning All there parts from the higher premium models (gear shifters, tachometer, and side mirrors) such as 5er, 7er.
To reduce costs and as a byproduct the design language took a hit because of it.
I've been in a X1, X3, and 4GC. I've seen a lot of parts from the F chassis Gen being used.

Thoughts?
Oh absolutely. It's always about saving a buck and streamlining production. I don't mind if a vehicles underlying architecture between different model series is the same, especially if it means the company can save money and produce a better fundamental architecture, but keep the exterior designs separated. Yes it will mean having to produce a different side view mirror exterior shell for different models, but this is a good thing. I still hate it when I see that an i3, M235i, M2, 340i, 428i Gran Coupe, and 650i all have the same exact side view mirror design. That drives me nuts!

Appreciate 1
      01-31-2018, 09:42 AM   #11
C5 FOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 xDrive30d Mineral White

One difference: the BMW roundel logo embedded in the C pillar. It brings back a styling move seen on vehicles such as the E9 3.0 CS back in the '70s.

"But we're doing it only on X2, by the way," van Hooydonk said, "because we wanted it as something for people to recognize this car by in traffic."

recognising a car by a well placed roundel.........is this really the thinking going on behind the scenes......?
Appreciate 1
tetsuo1111227.00
      01-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #12
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

End the war against buttons and knobs.

I can adjust a bunch of stuff in the car without taking my eyes off the road, why are carmakers so obsessed with making me look at a touch screen to see what exactly I'm touching.
Appreciate 12
      01-31-2018, 10:05 AM   #13
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
The separation from the upside-down kidney and lights isn't bad, it just reminds me of an EVO. the lower bumper design is a big mess though and it looks like the 8 series has the same problem with its rear. Strange angles and lines that come out of nowhere.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #14
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

G30/F90 is the PERFECT example. While not bad, they both failed to overhaul the vehicle's looks significantly from the previous generation. Especially with design features that still includes the headlights touching the grills and the floating iDrive screen on the G30. I still have suspicion that the G20 3-Series will get a lot of the same design characteristics as the G30 and the G12.
Personally I very much like the 'headlight meets grille' design, which I think came originally from the i8, a very futuristic sharp looking car IMO. I also love the 'floating' iDrive screen... on the F30 at least, it is sunk into the dash nicely giving the facia a 3D look. It doesn't need to pop up & down like Audi's gimmicky screen because it's completely unobtrusive in it's positioning! The higher the screen the easier to view meaning eyes are off the road for a shorter period... great piece of design IMO!!
Appreciate 2
cbertels1215.50
sahajesh2294.00
      01-31-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
Vinboyblue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

I say follow the Porsche 911 or Mercedes g-class design. Keep the exteriors exactly the same, and every couple years make upgrades to the light tech, the interior (where the major changes should occur), the engine and lighter chassis components. The car will instantly be recognizable as BMW in whatever class it is. This way a ton of capital isn't spent on redesigns, it's spent to make the car better. Take a good look at the F30 in msport trim, this car is over 5 years old, and the design still looks modern compared to the competition, where it's really lagging is in the interior. More simplistic, minimalist interior designs fits the BMW language, crazy and significant changes to the exterior doesn't.

Last edited by Vinboyblue; 01-31-2018 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      01-31-2018, 11:12 AM   #16
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Ugly front end
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:21 AM   #17
cwulffy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 FOR View Post

recognising a car by a well placed roundel.........is this really the thinking going on behind the scenes......?
Yeah I read that and scratched my head as well
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:22 AM   #18
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
BMW really needs to get styling right because they no longer attempt to compete on driving dynamics nor engineering.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 3
CSBM52721.00
wknddrivr464.50
      01-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #19
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

My single biggest fear about cars going forward is that they all make me adjust stereo volume on a touch screen rather than giving me a knob to turn. Secondarily is hvac controls on a touch screen.
Appreciate 7
      01-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #20
Madvillain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lada

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaah View Post
End the war against buttons and knobs.

I can adjust a bunch of stuff in the car without taking my eyes off the road, why are carmakers so obsessed with making me look at a touch screen to see what exactly I'm touching.
theyre more obessed with making you pay more to fix it or they hope youll just get the newest car.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:48 AM   #21
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Well, this is in line with the rest of the German manufacturers & Tesla. Shouldn't be as much of a surprise?
      01-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #22
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Van Hooydonk is the problem with the way BMW design is going after all his in charge, the fact his Dutch knowing and how conservative the Dutch culture is, I am some how not surprise about the way BMW design shaped up to look today.
Appreciate 2