BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Porsche Mission E Concept: True Tesla Killer?

12-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #23
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Look at it now? Still burning through cash and losing money on every car it sells? Stock value means nothing, assets are inflated to ridiculous levels right now.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-te...0QE0DC20150810
The technology is here and it works. It's not without hiccups or some problems, but Tesla has brought electric cars to the masses in a practical form that people can use.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #24
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Tesla is killing itself and gas prices are killing electrics thank god. Maybe in 30 yrs when they perfect batteries that don't weigh 500lbs and charge in 5 min. Till then it's as silly and undesirable as pee wee Herman.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2015, 06:21 AM   #25
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I agree with the post above that says Tesla is a tech company, not an auto manufacturer. Tesla's value is not in its production capabilities but instead lies in it battery management software and the data it has accumulated with over 200,000 cars on the road. Think about having 100 laptop batteries running one computer (or one electric motor in this case). Knowing how long to drain/charge each battery cell to get the most power, range, and longevity is the secret sauce. Tesla's data is very valuable. The only car company that comes close to knowing as much about battery management is BMW, and that came form the Active E pilot program.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #26
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
I wouldn't say that; Tesla's are to cars what the first iPhone was to smartphones. Wasn't the first, or the greatest, and people doubted it's success...but look at it now.
I don't see it. When iPhones came out you looked at buying an iPhone and compared it to every other maker of similar products and the iPhone was well above the rest. When I look at the Tesla the only thing I see it does better than the rest is work off electricity and go 0-60 faster than the competition but with a whole bunch of negatives. Unless you have a really strong desire to go electric there isn't a financial, tech, or other great reason to go this route.

As for "it isn't a car company but instead a tech company" only when it comes to valuations. It's primary function is to move people from one place to another and I don't see the "tech" of this car changing your life. At some point they will have an autonomous vehicle but many manufacturers are working on the same tech (and then there is Google). If I was Google I would pass on building a car and instead make the best autonomous system possible and sell it to car manufacturers. I see the margins on autonomous systems always being better than building cars.
      12-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #27
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

I really don't think this could be a Tesla killer.

1) It will be too expensive given it's being built by Porsche (and also very low volume); so the two cars won't be really in the same price range.

2) The reported charging rate is nothing but a gimmick. There are no Porsche chargers anywhere and to get to that charge rate you ll need a ridiculously high amp line. It's well beyond even Tesla's Supercharger. Will each Porsche dealership actually spend probably the millions needed for electric system upgrades to install a charger to serve such a low volume car? Doubt it. At home and at work, this car will charge at the same rate as all other EVs.

3) Porsche has poor driver assistance techs on all of its cars. It's nowhere near say Mercedes. Will this car have the same level of technology as a Model S? Will the car continuously upgrade its software on the go like Tesla? These are unknowns, but so far Porsche has never demonstrated strength in these matters.

Basically this car will be of terrible value. It will cost more, have poorer tech, and have no charging network. The fact is a great deal of Tesla's value comes from its now fairly widespread supercharger network.

However this car probably won't be out till 2019, so there's still a lot of time for change and improvements.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #28
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
I agree with the post above that says Tesla is a tech company, not an auto manufacturer. Tesla's value is not in its production capabilities but instead lies in it battery management software and the data it has accumulated with over 200,000 cars on the road. Think about having 100 laptop batteries running one computer (or one electric motor in this case). Knowing how long to drain/charge each battery cell to get the most power, range, and longevity is the secret sauce. Tesla's data is very valuable. The only car company that comes close to knowing as much about battery management is BMW, and that came form the Active E pilot program.
I agree with this. I think the Tesla car itself is more of a proof of concept and the real value lies in the data collected and the battery technology. The gigawatt factory will be huge in providing batteries to the whole automotive sector when it gets built.

It seems there are a lot of people posting that aren't thinking of the big, long term picture. Yes, battery technology isn't where it needs to be but, in the future Tesla will have all the power when the market shifts away from ICE.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #29
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Tesla Killer? Ok....this car probably won't even debut for another 4 years at least. Then cost at or above $200k.

Only thing this "Tesla Killer" has going for it is the few more miles it can get and the recharge rate. Don't like this design at all and hopefully Porsche gets its game together and make a better looking car.
are you looking at the same car i am?
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #30
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
I really don't think this could be a Tesla killer.

1) It will be too expensive given it's being built by Porsche (and also very low volume); so the two cars won't be really in the same price range.

2) The reported charging rate is nothing but a gimmick. There are no Porsche chargers anywhere and to get to that charge rate you ll need a ridiculously high amp line. It's well beyond even Tesla's Supercharger. Will each Porsche dealership actually spend probably the millions needed for electric system upgrades to install a charger to serve such a low volume car? Doubt it. At home and at work, this car will charge at the same rate as all other EVs.

3) Porsche has poor driver assistance techs on all of its cars. It's nowhere near say Mercedes. Will this car have the same level of technology as a Model S? Will the car continuously upgrade its software on the go like Tesla? These are unknowns, but so far Porsche has never demonstrated strength in these matters.

Basically this car will be of terrible value. It will cost more, have poorer tech, and have no charging network. The fact is a great deal of Tesla's value comes from its now fairly widespread supercharger network.

However this car probably won't be out till 2019, so there's still a lot of time for change and improvements.
I guess these are valid concerns for people more interested in buying the automotive equivalent of a refrigerator than a cutting edge thoroughbred performance car. I agree that this thing wont be a Tesla killer, but I don't think that is Porsche target anyway, despite the Buzzfeed worthy magazine headlines.

Last edited by fcman; 12-09-2015 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #31
omegaSMP300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan S, Boxster GTS, R8 V10+

I like how it looks. However, being several years out I will hold off on any final verdict until I see numbers (price, performance, cost to run etc). Exciting stuff though.
2017 R8 V10 Plus, 2016 Boxster GTS, 2015 Macan S, 2015 V12 Vantage S - Pending Sale, 2013 911 C4S - Sold, 2012 V8 Vantage S - Sold, 2013 DB9 - Sold, 2011 997.2 Targa 4s - Sold, 2011 E90 335i M-Sport - Sold, 2013 981 Boxster S - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2010 E60 M5 - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2011.5 E90 M3 - Sold, 2006 325i - Sold, 2004 Mazda6 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #32
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey21 View Post
are you looking at the same car i am?
Yup. A overpriced, electric car that will debut years from now at a price that will far exceed any Tesla. Then being sold at a dealership, they'll mark it up even more because you know....market adjustment and elitism. Tesla killer? Not even close.

Is Porsche going to have free, I said free, charging station all across the US in case you want to drive from coast to coast? As of right now, I see nothing that screams Tesla Killer.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 08:07 AM   #33
hockey21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Yup. A overpriced, electric car that will debut years from now at a price that will far exceed any Tesla. Then being sold at a dealership, they'll mark it up even more because you know....market adjustment and elitism. Tesla killer? Not even close.

Is Porsche going to have free, I said free, charging station all across the US in case you want to drive from coast to coast? As of right now, I see nothing that screams Tesla Killer.
Porsche always finds a way to set the bar a level higher. Everyone complained about the panamera and cayenne, look what they did for the brand.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #34
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey21 View Post
Porsche always finds a way to set the bar a level higher. Everyone complained about the panamera and cayenne, look what they did for the brand.
Yea, they successfully opened up their models to soccer moms and even older people
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #35
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Yea, they successfully opened up their models to soccer moms and even older people
Guess who pays the bills for the specialty models? The Panamera and Cayenne purchased by the soccer moms and old people lol. Without those models providing the profit we probably wont see the GT4, GT3RS, etc.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #36
hockey21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewnel22 View Post
Guess who pays the bills for the specialty models? The Panamera and Cayenne purchased by the soccer moms and old people lol. Without those models providing the profit we probably wont see the GT4, GT3RS, etc.
agree! people forget this.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2015, 10:37 PM   #37
hockey21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i appreciate and agree with the bit of sarcasm, but the higher end cayenne's and panamera's are far more special than almost any BMW Produced!
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #38
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewnel22
Quote:
People forget this and the fact that the macan, cayenne and Panamera are all segment leaders from inception. Unless you don't have the money, the macan, Panamera and cayenne are far better than any of their competitor and far more special and built to a much higher caliber. And performance at the top end (you pay to play) is exceptional. They make tons of profit on these high selling models which lead to the models as you said.
It also gave people who drive a 911/boxster/Cayman better options for another car from the porsche brand rather than having to buy a subpar product from some other manufacturer. It has played out extremely well to say the least and will continue with the mission e and hopefully they decide to make a small sedan too (which means big trouble for those in that segment).
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #39
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Porsche Mission E Prototype Hunkers Down On The Nordschleife

Quote:
With the Mission E set to be the Tesla Model S' first real mass-production rival once it launches in less than two years time, the fact that it wears a Porsche badge makes it extremely appealing.

The Mission E will also be joined by the production version of the BMW i Vision Dynamics in this sector, although the latter will most likely be more of a Model 3 competitor due to its compact dimensions.

Nevertheless, whether it's got a BMW, or in this case a Porsche badge, you can bet that any brand new all-electric car out of Germany will handle properly while crossing all the T's and dotting all the I's when it comes to performance, efficiency and quality.

It's also why this Mission E prototype was getting a taste of the Nurburgring Nordschleife, with the German automaker trying to make sure the car "drives like a Porsche", even though technically, it will be unlike any other Porsche in history.

Powered by a pair of electric motors pushing out over 600 PS, the Mission E is expected to hit 200 km/h (124 mph) from a stand still in just 12 seconds. Very impressive in a car that will also be able to drive for over 330 miles (531 km) in-between charges.

Porsche is aiming for the Mission E to offer an 80% charge in just 15 minutes using the company's light weight 800-volt technology, allowing for shorter charging times. When it's not charging, the production-ready Mission E should also be capable of Level 4 autonomous driving, while providing over-the-air software updates, just like its rival from Palo Alto.

As for aesthetics, this particular prototype is just as camouflaged as that other pair of Mission Es spotted earlier this month. It is however wearing sportier wheels and sitting visibly closer to the ground.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/10/por...e-hunkers.html

Appreciate 1
      10-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #40
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Damn. Looks like a killer car.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #41
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Love the fake exhaust tips.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #42
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Love the fake exhaust tips.
Those are ion generators.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      10-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #43
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #44
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Mark Webber drives the Mission E at Porsche’s test track in Weissach.

Appreciate 0