BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Shopping for daily driving, Audi A3?

05-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #45
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
We do not get any pretty hatchbacks in US except GTI.
I wish we get same hatchbacks how I see in Europe. So sexy and pretty..

Kia, I have no experience with Korean made products and Giula, it has many electrical/mechanical/engineering issues which is typical with Italian made cars
So you don't the GTI is ugly? No real reason to choose an A3 over it IMHO.
Test drive the guila and stinger and remember that new cars are covered under warranty, not to mention BMW and VW products have a number of issues themselves.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #46
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerworld View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
We do not get any pretty hatchbacks in US except GTI.
I wish we get same hatchbacks how I see in Europe. So sexy and pretty..

Kia, I have no experience with Korean made products and Giula, it has many electrical/mechanical/engineering issues which is typical with Italian made cars
So you don't the GTI is ugly? No real reason to choose an A3 over it IMHO.
Test drive the guila and stinger and remember that new cars are covered under warranty, not to mention BMW and VW products have a number of issues themselves.
It is worth noting that the A3 fwd makes 186hp but has a 7s DSG, while the GTI and quattro A3 make 220hp with a 6s DSG (or a manual in the GTI.)

There's a shed load of technology available on the A3 that isn't available on the GTI too. Even the Golf R has a dumbed down version of the Audi Virtual Cockpit without Google Earth. VW USA gets screwed in lots of areas.

If the lack of a manual doesn't bother you, and you like sedans, the A3 doesn't seem bad compared to the GTI.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #47
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
It is worth noting that the A3 fwd makes 186hp but has a 7s DSG, while the GTI and quattro A3 make 220hp with a 6s DSG (or a manual in the GTI.)

There's a shed load of technology available on the A3 that isn't available on the GTI too. Even the Golf R has a dumbed down version of the Audi Virtual Cockpit without Google Earth. VW USA gets screwed in lots of areas.

If the lack of a manual doesn't bother you, and you like sedans, the A3 doesn't seem bad compared to the GTI.
I personally think the digital dash is gimmicky but that's just me. I've heard aswell that the suspension in the GTI is better than the A3 more "enthusiast oriented" that's why I'd choose the GTI personally.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #48
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerworld View Post
Quote:

I personally think the digital dash is gimmicky but that's just me. I've heard aswell that the suspension in the GTI is better than the A3 more "enthusiast oriented" that's why I'd choose the GTI personally.
The Google Maps part is cool, and the ability to shrink the speedo and tach while making the map larger is nice when navigating in an unknown area.

But yeah, a GTI is a much sportier ride than an A3. The Golf R is actually a bit softer than my GTI, and the S3 feels about the same as the Golf R. The RS3 is pretty harsh though. We're looking at S3's and RS3's to replace our F30, neither my wife or I like cars as large as the F30 or B9 A4/S4.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #49
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

I end up buying S3 for my daily driving.

2018 Audi S3
Nano Gray Metallic with Black interior

S Sport Seating Package (S sport seats with kappa leather/diamond stitching)
S Sport Package (red brake calipers, Audi magnetic ride)
Technology Package (Bang&Olufsen, Audi virtual cockpit, MMI navigation)
Black Optic Dynamic Package (19” Audi Sport wheels, all around black optic grille/diffuser)
Sound Enhancing Resonator Delete Kit (deletes the resonator)

I am impress plus quattro is awesome

Last edited by uniqueMR; 05-17-2018 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      05-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #50
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
The Google Maps part is cool, and the ability to shrink the speedo and tach while making the map larger is nice when navigating in an unknown area.

But yeah, a GTI is a much sportier ride than an A3. The Golf R is actually a bit softer than my GTI, and the S3 feels about the same as the Golf R. The RS3 is pretty harsh though. We're looking at S3's and RS3's to replace our F30, neither my wife or I like cars as large as the F30 or B9 A4/S4.
How much bigger is the current S4 vs the S3?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #51
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomade30 View Post
2017 A4 is gonna be the best car. Make sure you get one without a MAF sensor, they’re higher HP and a newer engine.
A4 is going to be better than an S3 or S4?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #52
N55darksoul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 - 135i

Not a fan of Audi...remove their badges and it looks too much like a Lexus or Infiniti or something...
Get a Merc or live a little and get yourself something fun like a Dodge Challenger ...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #53
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Quote:

How much bigger is the current S4 vs the S3?
The S3 is very nearly the same size and weight as our '96 A4.

S3 - 175.8" L, 70.7" W and 3,485#
S4 - 186.8" L, 72.5" W and 3,750#
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #54
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55darksoul View Post
Not a fan of Audi...remove their badges and it looks too much like a Lexus or Infiniti or something...
Get a Merc or live a little and get yourself something fun like a Dodge Challenger ...
haha not exactly. Audi is a way different car now from past 15+ years. Quality and build is way better than Japanese (Lexus, Infiniti, Acura).

Remove badges and looks like Lexus/Infiniti? No way. I will accept more like Volkswagen but comm'on

Btw, Merc quality is going down for past 5+ years. They are chasing numbers over quality
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #55
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
haha, no way. S4 is better than A4.
I prefer S3, its go-kart feeling and fun to drive. And even faster due to less weight than S4.
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #56
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2, 91 325, 05 DMAX

Quote:
Per dollar paid, A4 > S4. And A4 is definitely better than S3 which really just a GTI with a trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #57
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Per dollar paid, A4 > S4. And A4 is definitely better than S3 which really just a GTI with a trunk.
Less dollar paid does NOT equal better value. If by your logic, I could get a fully loaded Honda Accord, which is a way better value than a base A4.

How is a less powered FWD A4 with less agility better than a sportier and more powerful AWD S3? If bigger size = better value, then yes, I would agree. But bigger size is all the A4 have over the S3, and many of us don't like tooling around in a big boat.

BTW, S3 isn't just a GTI with a trunk. It's a Golf-R with a trunk - there is a difference.

Last edited by XMetal; 05-19-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #58
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Did the virtual cockpit just start for 2018? If not, what year did it come into play?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #59
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Did the virtual cockpit just start for 2018? If not, what year did it come into play?
I believe VC started with the facelift...so 2017
      05-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #60
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Quote:
Less dollar paid does NOT equal better value. If by your logic, I could get a fully loaded Honda Accord, which is a way better value than a base A4.

How is a less powered FWD A4 with less agility better than a sportier and more powerful AWD S3? If bigger size = better value, then yes, I would agree. But bigger size is all the A4 have over the S3, and many of us don't like tooling around in a big boat.

BTW, S3 isn't just a GTI with a trunk. It's a Golf-R with a trunk - there is a difference.
Only one caveat. A Golf R or S3 uses a transverse motor and Haldex and only has a constant rate of around 10% torque to the rear, while a quattro A/S4 uses a longitudinal motor and a Torsen based awd system with 60% torque to the rear.

I'd take an S3 over an S4 because of the smaller size, lighter weight and to my eyes, better lines. But they certainly drive more like a fwd car than than a B9 S4 with the sport diff. I do think the MQB (A3) understeers less than MLB (A4) chassis, which brings the handling difference closer than just the power delivery might suggest.
Appreciate 1
XMetal1096.50
      05-19-2018, 10:52 PM   #61
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Only one caveat. A Golf R or S3 uses a transverse motor and Haldex and only has a constant rate of around 10% torque to the rear, while a quattro A/S4 uses a longitudinal motor and a Torsen based awd system with 60% torque to the rear.

I'd take an S3 over an S4 because of the smaller size, lighter weight and to my eyes, better lines. But they certainly drive more like a fwd car than than a B9 S4 with the sport diff. I do think the MQB (A3) understeers less than MLB (A4) chassis, which brings the handling difference closer than just the power delivery might suggest.
Exactly. I do not expect Audi to come up with something for some time to match the new M5 cars, their chassis is just too limited in the handling department due to their engine-layout. At least as cars are getting bigger and bigger they have something small and sporty available.
      05-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #62
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2, 91 325, 05 DMAX

Quote:

Well people shouldn't be buying FWD Audi's in the first place. The B9 A4 is massive, but it is also light. A tuned one can easily walk on a stock B8 S4. Also the B9 A4 can average around 38 mpg without effort. And due to it being light (~3500lbs) for how big it is, it can handle the corners surprisingly well. Sure on the track the MQB's are gonna win, but this is about buying a daily driver.

You are correct about S3 being more of a Golf R, but end of the day a Golf R is just a GTI with AWD and a bigger turbo, and cheap leather for twice the price. Given a A3, S3, GTI, or Golf R I would always pick a GTI over the rest. Per dollar it's a much better car, I would constantly be regretting throwing away $15K+ on the more expensive version of those cars.

This is based off my opinion of driving VAG cars on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #63
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well people shouldn't be buying FWD Audi's in the first place. The B9 A4 is massive, but it is also light. A tuned one can easily walk on a stock B8 S4. Also the B9 A4 can average around 38 mpg without effort. And due to it being light (~3500lbs) for how big it is, it can handle the corners surprisingly well. Sure on the track the MQB's are gonna win, but this is about buying a daily driver.

You are correct about S3 being more of a Golf R, but end of the day a Golf R is just a GTI with AWD and a bigger turbo, and cheap leather for twice the price. Given a A3, S3, GTI, or Golf R I would always pick a GTI over the rest. Per dollar it's a much better car, I would constantly be regretting throwing away $15K+ on the more expensive version of those cars.

This is based off my opinion of driving VAG cars on a daily basis.
I'm appreciating this post as I get into my GTI. We're shopping S3's and RS3's for the wife and it's hard to get too excited about either.
Appreciate 0