BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Any professional photographers here?

06-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #1
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Any professional photographers here?

I'm curious if there are any professional photographers here that I could get some advice from. I've recently started feeling that Id love to be able to take photographs for a living. My current job is in now way near the field but I love photography and being creative and it'd be great if I could do that as a career. I understand I do need to learn nearly every in and out of the camera and learn about editing and things like that but my questions if there are pros on here are things like how to break into the field? I know there's portrait, advertising etc. and I'm not 100% on my preference but something like photojournalism seems right. Is a degree necessary? If not what can I do to show I am qualified when the time comes? Any and all tips would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Degree ain't necessary. Let your work speak about you.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
gabriel.psd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW 6MT

Garage List
2004 330ci  [0.00]
I'm a pro, and I have a B.A. in Pro Photo from Brooks Institute.

You won't need a degree. I've been doing this for a living for 6 years and have never been asked if I had gone to school, let alone if I have a degree. People will want to see your portfolio, and that, along with who you know and how you are as a person to get along with, will dictate how far you go and how much money you make.

I know people with absolutely minimal skills who know the right retouchers and the right people and they make a ton of money. I also know people with absurd amounts of talents, but zero connections and horrible attitudes and they are struggling to pay rent.

Photojournalism is a tough field, just as tough as any really (advertising is very difficult to get into, more so than others), but seems to have the most windows open.

I don't suggest you quit your job and decide to become a photographer. I suggest you develop your skills, your portfolio, your connections, then decide if its worth the jump.

Also, and mostly importantly, anyone can take a picture.

Not everyone can make a photograph.

And there's a large difference.

Appreciate 1
      06-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

I'm a professional myself. Been doing it for several years. Only time I've had someone ask if I had gone to school for it was if they heard I didn't and didn't believe it because of the quality of work I put out.

As stated school is not necessary. Just work and be good at what you do. Learn how to actually photograph before touching editing software.

Many people nowadays call themselves photographers but as stated are just paying retouchers or living off of editing.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #5
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel.psd View Post
I'm a pro, and I have a B.A. in Pro Photo from Brooks Institute.

You won't need a degree. I've been doing this for a living for 6 years and have never been asked if I had gone to school, let alone if I have a degree. People will want to see your portfolio, and that, along with who you know and how you are as a person to get along with, will dictate how far you go and how much money you make.

I know people with absolutely minimal skills who know the right retouchers and the right people and they make a ton of money. I also know people with absurd amounts of talents, but zero connections and horrible attitudes and they are struggling to pay rent.

Photojournalism is a tough field, just as tough as any really (advertising is very difficult to get into, more so than others), but seems to have the most windows open.

I don't suggest you quit your job and decide to become a photographer. I suggest you develop your skills, your portfolio, your connections, then decide if its worth the jump.

Also, and mostly importantly, anyone can take a picture.

Not everyone can make a photograph.

And there's a large difference.
Thank you for the response I appreciate taking the time to share and I hear you on the last point. Could you clarify on the "connections"? Do you mean like editing and things like that or employment opportunities? Where would one attempt to look for employment? I can't imagine craigslist do you put together a portfolio or website and just call magazines or businesses?
Again thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGNY 335 View Post
I'm a professional myself. Been doing it for several years. Only time I've had someone ask if I had gone to school for it was if they heard I didn't and didn't believe it because of the quality of work I put out.

As stated school is not necessary. Just work and be good at what you do. Learn how to actually photograph before touching editing software.

Many people nowadays call themselves photographers but as stated are just paying retouchers or living off of editing.
Thank you for the response may I ask what you do specifically for employment? I've been trying to pay attention to all of the different places where paid photography is needed but I can only think of a few. I'm pretty sure almost every web page needs photography. Magazines but that seems like a dated source And sports. Is it more likely to be a freelance photographer or a "steady paycheck" photographer?
Thank you again
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Thank you for the response may I ask what you do specifically for employment? I've been trying to pay attention to all of the different places where paid photography is needed but I can only think of a few. I'm pretty sure almost every web page needs photography. Magazines but that seems like a dated source And sports. Is it more likely to be a freelance photographer or a "steady paycheck" photographer?
Thank you again
I'm military by day. But own and operate 3 businesses outside the military. Full fledged tuning and performance automotive building company, professional photography company, as well as an auto club
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I suggest you take a course to get started and just start working on building up a portfolio while you are working a more steady job. There are many stock photo companies where you could sell your photos online. This is where a lot of websites buy their photos. Honestly, I think there is a lot of competition in this field and it will be tough.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep

You're more than likely going to need to start off as freelance until you build a name for yourself. Then you should be able to start getting paid gigs. So if you're just starting. Don't quit your job until you have the clientele and reputation to keep you going g financially
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #10
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
I suggest you take a course to get started and just start working on building up a portfolio while you are working a more steady job. There are many stock photo companies where you could sell your photos online. This is where a lot of websites buy their photos. Honestly, I think there is a lot of competition in this field and it will be tough.
There are a few schools around that hold workshops so that's prob a good idea. Should I google "stock photo companies" to learn more about how that works? Sorry I'm still trying to learn photography as a business
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #11
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86
Quote:
There are a few schools around that hold workshops so that's prob a good idea. Should I google "stock photo companies" to learn more about how that works? Sorry I'm still trying to learn photography as a business
Here's a good list of them. Now start noticing where photos come from everytime you see photos on the web or in magazines etc.

http://photography.tutsplus.com/arti...os--photo-1189
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #12
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGNY 335 View Post
You're more than likely going to need to start off as freelance until you build a name for yourself. Then you should be able to start getting paid gigs. So if you're just starting. Don't quit your job until you have the clientele and reputation to keep you going g financially
Def won't be quitting before having my foot in the door. Photo equipment is pretty expensive and I'm still learning on my mirrorless camera but I've window shopped the DSLRs. If you don't mind me asking, your photography company, would that be something like if a person was looking for a wedding or event photographer they would contact your company for that?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #13
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Here's a good list of them. Now start noticing where photos come from everytime you see photos on the web or in magazines etc.

http://photography.tutsplus.com/arti...os--photo-1189
Thank you I appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #14
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Any recommendations camera wise? Specifically I have a mirrorless Nikon 1 J4 that I got a couple years ago so I guess what I'm asking is I know this isn't a pro grade camera so should is it urgent that I upgrade before taking steps or would this due FOR NOW? Also what kinds of things should I look for when shopping for one? How many MP is "enough" for non wedding/portrait photography?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #15
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
I'm not a pro but I've had a good number of shoots for car enthusiasts so I'm pretty good. Almost pro level.

Admittedly, I do spend a little time in the editor to smooth things out.

Forget school or whatever, I suggest you just jump in and go with it. That's what I did!

Some of my best work for your reference: