BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Move to the US?

09-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #67
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
No I am 100% correct.

For starters, average cost of living is lower in the USA all things considered but you are looking at a sample size of 1 in your example, not to mention comparing a world class major Tier 2 city (Melbourne) to a back water in Charlotte.

Outside of the big cities the USA is likely to offer a better cost of living BUT the gap is nowhere near as big as it seems. Not to mention my focus was on the hidden charges in the USA vs Australia's transparent pricing.

- Land taxes are 3 times that in Australia
- Tipping and taxes adds a solid 30% to most restaurant meals
- tipping culture in general adds costs to other services that are baked into the australian cost
- Hotels, add a solid 30% to the advertised price
- Healthcare and Education are utterly obscene for equivalent service in Australia
- Municipalities and states in the US have the power to charge you income taxes and random other fees
- There's no compulsory pension as there is at home (superannuation)

Not to mention he wants to run a business, the US is a fucking minefield because AGAIn the states and municipalities have way too much sway, all three layers have their own red tape, it's a fuckig nightmare how obver governed the USA is how many reporting lines need to be taken care of.

Add your obsession with guns in the best cost of living states and meh, stay home man.
Doesn't sound like you had a good time. I get that it's not going to be a walk in the park, but I want to give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
In most of metro OZ locations, tipping in restaurants is becoming more and more common place for around 10%.

If by “more common” you mean extremely rare then you might be right. As an Aussie living in state capital I can tell you practically nobody tips here. For anything. Ever.

Fair dinkum Aussies will resist this idiotic custom until they die, no matter how hard hipster baristas getting paid $19 an hour and double that on a Sunday try and get it going.
Totally agree. We have the highest minimum wage in the world, so we have a bunch of over entitled employees. Like I said, the less you want to get ahead here, the more you are rewarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Interesting thing is that I have many Australian friends living in the US, and they are all talking or thinking about moving back to Australia. They truly, truly miss it.
I guess it depends on everyone's circumstance. If you have family and friends here, of course one will miss it. It can work both ways I suppose. Some people make it, some people don't.

Quote:
OP also needs to keep in mind the E2 isn’t a dual intent visa. The second the work on the enterprise is done, you are supposed to go back home country again.
Yeah that's the drawback. No pathway to a greencard. But that's fine, so long as it allows me to live in the US whilst I have a go.
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #68
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Land taxes are no where near 3x that in Australia. On a $250,000 piece of property in my town (my house), the total property taxes are $1,176 per year. In OZ, the same property would be approximately $4,100 ($100 + 1.6% of value).
This is categorically wrong, it's not even close to that at home. Before i give you the formulae, my friends are aghast at me paying $9k yr in land taxes on a $1,7m value, one has a property worth about the same in OZ and pays $2500.

Here's the formulae, and note it is LAND tax not property tax, as in it's just the value of the lot not the house.

(A minus B) multiplied by C plus D = Land tax payable.

A is the total land value = $680,000

B is the land tax threshold for 2018 = $629,000

C is the land tax rate = 1.6%

D is the standard tax = $100

($680,000 minus $629,000) x 1.6 % + $100 = $916

In all your examples you're using Charlotte, melbourne is more comparable to SanFran or Chicago.

On the gun thing, it's great you like them and all but the fact is the majority of Australians think it's nuts.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #69
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
Doesn't sound like you had a good time. I get that it's not going to be a walk in the park, but I want to give it a go.
I have been in Toronto for 14 years, travelled extensively in the USA for business including setting up two offices in the USA. It's a red tape disaster, way too much sway from local government, the employer is on the hook for the most inane and bureaucratic shit imaginable.

But that's besides the point, let's say you "make it", great, you're now driving a 911 instead of a GTS Commodore.

What happens when parents get sick, when you have kids and your folks are crying themselves to bed at night because they can't see the baby?

It ain't worth it.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441014.00
      09-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #70
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting thing is that I have many Australian friends living in the US, and they are all talking or thinking about moving back to Australia. They truly, truly miss it.
I visit home often, maybe every 18 months, and it has it's issues, it's no utopia. BUT, certainly in Sydney Vs Toronto anyway, Sydney offers so, so much more taste on the tip of the tongue, more landscape, more recreation, better food, better weather ... i'd go back in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34181.00
      09-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #71
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I have been in Toronto for 14 years, travelled extensively in the USA for business including setting up two offices in the USA. It's a red tape disaster, way too much sway from local government, the employer is on the hook for the most inane and bureaucratic shit imaginable.

But that's besides the point, let's say you "make it", great, you're now driving a 911 instead of a GTS Commodore.

What happens when parents get sick, when you have kids and your folks are crying themselves to bed at night because they can't see the baby?

It ain't worth it.
Have you run a business in Australia?
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #72
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

Australia, where men are men and kangaroos are scared..... LOLZ

only j/k

I love oz, melbourne, very much like the UK
Brizzy was excellent, mind you that was in holiday mode,

if I had a choice out of living in the US or OZ, it would be OZ

Last edited by jaye944; 09-07-2018 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 05:01 AM   #73
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post

only j/k

I've hardly met any Canadians or Americans that move out here, and the ones that do end up going back. I wonder why that is?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #74
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

NA's are different from say European's or Brits.

When I was in OZ, I never met any NA's who had immigrated.

The lifestyles are different even some brits go home.

It's an easier move when you are UPGRADING, if it's an horizontal promotion, there's no benefits and more of a culture shock, which really takes time.

There are more Brit's in OZ and there are more similarities culture wise, with UK and OZ than NA and OZ IMHO. Not worse/bad just different.

IME, I gained nothing from moving to Canada, but there was more hassle, (in hindsight)

so from an NA's POV, what is the advantage of moving from one developed country to another.

OTHER than ozzie beer is better and so are the pies

Quote:
I've hardly met any Canadians or Americans that move out here, and the ones that do end up going back. I wonder why that is?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #75
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:

only j/k

What’s your favorite city in Oz, mate? Brizzy? Sizzy? Pizzy? G’day! Shrimp on the barbie!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #76
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
NA's are different from say European's or Brits.

When I was in OZ, I never met any NA's who had immigrated.

The lifestyles are different even some brits go home.

It's an easier move when you are UPGRADING, if it's an horizontal promotion, there's no benefits and more of a culture shock, which really takes time.

There are more Brit's in OZ and there are more similarities culture wise, with UK and OZ than NA and OZ IMHO. Not worse/bad just different.

IME, I gained nothing from moving to Canada, but there was more hassle, (in hindsight)

so from an NA's POV, what is the advantage of moving from one developed country to another.

OTHER than ozzie beer is better and so are the pies
I never knew this about North Africans. Interesting!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #77
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What’s your favorite city in Oz, mate? Brizzy? Sizzy? Pizzy? G’day! Shrimp on the barbie!
That's one thing I never understood. No one, and I mean no one in Australia uses the word shrimp.

You guys must be sinking too much piss over there..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #78
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That's one thing I never understood. No one, and I mean no one in Australia uses the word shrimp.

You guys must be sinking too much piss over there..
Oi!!! Who’s eatin’ scampi mate!!
Appreciate 0