BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > This car is driving me insane

11-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

This car is driving me insane

Sorry for the rant, but I need to ask if anyone else is having gremlin like faults with there F20.

Had it from new and now 2 years old, from the moment it arrived there has been quite a few issues to say the least, do enjoy the car but it's becoming a bit of a pain in the ass.

From DPF faults to hand break faults, it's had them all, but some weeks ago the tyre monitor told me I had 4 tyres with pressure faults, checked and all ok, reset the gizmo and off I went. Days later was trundling down the M6 at 80 cruise on, and bang again all tyres with faults, then the car lost power with no warning I was creeping along at 45 quite a bottom clenching experience as cars were swerving to avoid me. Was told after a call to the lease company to go to get tyres checked, 4 tyres replaced and still blommin thing keeps bonging away with tyre pressure fault. Then out of the blue I get traction light flashing again drops all power. This has been on-going for weeks.

Took car in again to BMW had it for 3 days cant find fault and nothing wrong, also I had them check a banging noise from front driver side suspension again nothing wrong.

Lease company are basically saying I am lying and wont do anything. I am at a dead halt on what to do next.

Any recommendations before this car kills me.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

This sounds like it would be related to ABS sensors, measuring the rotating speed of your wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
RMech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 135i

Tyre Fault

I agree, ovekam in so far as it's probably something to do with measuring the rotational speed and torque of the wheel. I'm certainly no expert, but it says in the manual that the tyre pressure warning is triggered by a mismatch in expected and measured torque (power required to turn the wheels). If the power required is too high, then the car assumes a flat tyre (at least this is my primitive understanding). That would also explain why the car stopped delivering power in your moment of need and wouldn't go over 45 miles per hour. The problem with this type of intermittent fault, is that the cause can only be detected at the time. Frustrating to see that BMW are not doing any further digging for you, but I guess they see no point unless the fault returns. Perhaps if they were picking up the recovery bill, they would try a bit harder to find the fault. Sometimes writing to someone higher in the organisation gets the desired result..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

It is not measuring torque, but rotational speed. When the pressure goes down, the dynamic diameter of a tyre will be smaller, and the tyres are rotating faster. If all tyres get the same temperature drop, the car will not notice, as it uses the other 3 tyres as reference. It does not know how fast it is actually moving.

The DSC will kick in and take down the power if it gets confused about the rolling speed of the tyres.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I might be barking up the wrong tree, but I heard that the way the tyre system works is it's some sort of Bluetooth device in the wheels as Bluetooth is good as short signals, I also have a Bluetooth issue with the phone dropping out maybe it's all connected.

As for the TC this happens randomly not when I get the TPS system alarming so I think this is a separate fault.

I have emailed high up the ladder at the lease company today so we will see, as for BMW they are not bothered, and the cheek of it today I get a call to do as survey on my experience with them this week.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
oldmancoyote
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i xDrive

Strange thing is that AFAIK ABS sensor faults should be recorded by the car computer (at least, they were on the E60 - got the rear wheel sensors changed under warranty even though they didn't seem to cause any problems), so the dealer should pick this up relatively easily.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
osvic
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M sport,

Ive different issues, two steering racks in 8 months and still clonking through the steering wheel that is normal apparently. It is by far the most annoying car i've ever owner. When thats compared to the likes of Peugeot and Ford amongst others it really should be better! I am utterly disappointed and fed up with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Perhaps the only upside of all this, the hire car was provided by the lease company, it was a top of the range seat Leon cupra. I tell you what a dam fine car it was drove around 500 mile in two days it was a pleasure.

To be honest it drove better and was so quiet on the mway. was packed with creature comforts. I never thought I would say this but I would choose this any day over my 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

I also think it is faulty ABS sensor/s or you may have something blocking one of the sensor from reading its markers (it basically counts the number of rotations by markers creating a pulse). That banging noise from front driver side suspension you experienced could be the brake caliper being triggered by the ABS due to a faulty sensor.
I have heard of a similar issues where salting of the roads occurred.
It could be a cable connection or a sensor that has corrosion on it (when salt gets wet it has different electrical properties which could confuse the ABS system).

The EMC records all events, even the tyre pressure sensors, so the technicians should have some ideas where to start looking. I would suggest using your phone to record the fault warnings if it occurs again. Always good to have proof when you take the car in for a weird fault.
I would also consider going to another BMW dealer to get a second informed opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 03:17 AM   #10
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 116d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
Perhaps the only upside of all this, the hire car was provided by the lease company, it was a top of the range seat Leon cupra. I tell you what a dam fine car it was drove around 500 mile in two days it was a pleasure.

To be honest it drove better and was so quiet on the mway. was packed with creature comforts. I never thought I would say this but I would choose this any day over my 1 series.
Can you not change cars if you feel that strongly?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 04:08 AM   #11
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Well you are not alone, this car is, well, can't find a word to describe it, but my engine is doing this crazy thing today, out of the blue. I drive smoothly most of the time get 10.3 km/l and this is unexpected. Now have to spend more time in my old Toyota, again.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
ILikeJam
Dandy Don
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i MSport LMB 116i MSport AW

I had a very similar problem to this in my 3 Series.

Turned out it was the driveshaft had swollen and was touching one of the ABS sensors which ended up in me seeing tyre pressure warnings on the dash and losing power.

Took it to the dealer and they just repositioned the sensors and the problem stopped (obviously disregarding the inevitable eventual failure of the driveshaft!)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Well after weeks, months of emails between Lease company and BMW UK, finely they have agreed due to all the faults and them basically owning up that they don't know how to fix the faults of the TCS and tyre monitor they will terminate the lease and pull the car back.

It's a big weight of my mind to be truthful, not to sure if I have to go back into another BMW lease or start again with a new manufacture completely.

Back to the drawing board again.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 02:59 AM   #14
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep

I thought you wanted a Seat?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
I thought you wanted a Seat?
If I can stay away from the BMW range it may well be an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #16
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What car are you going for now?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:46 AM   #17
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
I left BMW a couple of times but soon went back. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. I've had a couple problems with BMW cars but they have always done their best to fix and looked after me really well.

Their are no cars in the price range that can match the driving ability of the 1 series. Try a few different brands and then drive a BMW again I would be interested in your thoughts.

You could always ask for a better deal and being run out the deals will be around as BMW needs to keep selling them.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #18
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I left BMW a couple of times but soon went back. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. I've had a couple problems with BMW cars but they have always done their best to fix and looked after me really well.

Their are no cars in the price range that can match the driving ability of the 1 series. Try a few different brands and then drive a BMW again I would be interested in your thoughts.

You could always ask for a better deal and being run out the deals will be around as BMW needs to keep selling them.
I don't think the driving position is good, the seat adjustment is poor and the standard seats are uncomfortable too but I still love my BM. The next car will be an Audi though, not my choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #19
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
I don't think the driving position is good, the seat adjustment is poor ...
What? I think the F20/F21 is best in its class there. Top score from me. I have never tried (or even seen) the non-sport-seats, though.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #20
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
What? I think the F20/F21 is best in its class there. Top score from me. I have never tried (or even seen) the non-sport-seats, though.
The best seat I have ever been in and I travelled 6,000 miles in 3 weeks was a 2013 ford mustang. The 1 series sports seats are great as well but the X4 is horrible on my neck. Cannot get the seat in the correct position as the base leans back to much.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #21
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post

Just had a VW Golf GTD on demo for 3 days, completely blew me away, handling and grip well above the BWM, power and refinement of the unit again was better, inside maybe not as good as the Msport. But in all honesty been back in the 1 series now for two days and no where near as good as the Golf.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #22
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
I don't think the driving position is good
The car does not dictate the driving position.

Quote:
the seat adjustment is poor
There's also the steering column adjustment to be used in combination.

Quote:
the standard seats are uncomfortable
Yes they are. For me, the crucial feature of the sport seats is the pillow angle adjustment.
Appreciate 0