BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > a/c issue ( maybe )

05-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
mark_gi
Rep
Drives: f20

a/c issue ( maybe )

Hi.. 3 weeks ago my a/c started to switch on by itself.. it happened sometimes usually in the afternoon when the weather was hot...I couldn't manage to switch the air off because the central console was off but the air was on and the air was still on even when I switched off the car ( it stopped by itself because the car realized that the battery was running down too quickly)..bmw has just replaced 3 different a/c control units, on 3 different times.. yesterday morning ( for the third time) I picked the f20 at the bmw repair shop.. the boss said again ""now it's ok".. after noon I left the car in the hot sun and again the hot air switched on by itself ( hot air!! and no chances to me to switch it off) and again it didn't stop when I switched off the car... now my f20 is at bmw dealer again ( I think they will wait for someone from Germany).Nice car.. but I am speechless. Did anyone have similar issues?
Mark

Last edited by mark_gi; 05-26-2012 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_gi View Post
Hi.. 3 weeks ago my a/c started to switch on by itself.. it happened sometimes usually in the afternoon when the weather was hot...I couldn't manage to switch the air off because the central console was off but the air was on and the air was still on even when I switched off the car ( it stopped by itself because the car realized that the battery was running down too quickly)..bmw has just replaced 3 different a/c control units, on 3 different times.. yesterday morning ( for the third time) I picked the f20 at the bmw repair shop.. the boss said again ""now it's ok".. after noon I left the car in the hot sun and again the hot air switched on by itself ( hot air!! and no chances to me to switch it off) and again it didn't stop when I switched off the car... now my f20 is at bmw dealer again ( I think they will wait for someone from Germany).Nice car.. but I am speechless. Did anyone have similar issues?
Mark
there is a recall on AC units- contact your local dealer to see if your affected
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
mark_gi
Rep

yes I know.. they have just replaced the main a/c unit, the resistor, a sub a/c unit... unfortunately it's not that..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
Honziss
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 116d + E81 116i

In the menu of idrive is possible to switch on/off ventilation with timer - haven't you this function on?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honziss View Post
In the menu of idrive is possible to switch on/off ventilation with timer - haven't you this function on?
interesting point- but because the car has been into the dealer, i would be shocked if it turned out to be this...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
mark_gi
Rep

no... already checked.. timers were both off.. not only hot air started by itself but the central console was out of control.. I mean I set temperature to 16 degree or to max and no air comes out, so I switch off the central console and sometimes after about 20 minutes air starts to come out by itself.. once happened that the car was switched off and the air stopped when I opened the left door..it seems unbelievable..

Last edited by mark_gi; 05-28-2012 at 04:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #7
Honziss
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 116d + E81 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post
interesting point- but because the car has been into the dealer, i would be shocked if it turned out to be this...
I got experience with the knowledge of my dealer - I could be 100% sure that they have no idea, that such function is in F20...that's why I pointed this out.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
mark_gi
Rep

this afternoon I spoke to the dealer.. He said that it should be the air recycle system motor that sometimes goes crazy.. actually I think that the air recycle system has never worked..I will keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
mark_gi
Rep

..now it seems to work: I got the can-bus cable worn out..the boss said that the interior copper was visible.. the cable was just above an aluminium part, rubbing on that because of car vibrations...so they just replaced the cable!!! I hope this could come in handy for someone. Bye bye.
Appreciate 0