BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Am I getting too old for (or am I bored of) a convertible?

02-18-2018, 04:05 AM   #1
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Am I getting too old for (or am I bored of) a convertible?

So, I am just over 50 (where did that go?) and I have had convertibles since I was 21.

I used to have the top down all the time. When I had my E46, I would keep the top down for weeks on end - leave the car open in a lock up garage, both at home and at work.

Now, I do drop the top, but I feel really self-conscious about doing it around town.

Lately, I have been thinking about going for an M3 - I like to the idea of a 4 door for once.

Is it just me, or do you eventually get bored of convertibles?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 04:33 AM   #2
FourPtDrift
This is my unique custom title
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5C, '20 F83 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmQuattro View Post
So, I am just over 50 (where did that go?) and I have had convertibles since I was 21.

I used to have the top down all the time. When I had my E46, I would keep the top down for weeks on end - leave the car open in a lock up garage, both at home and at work.

Now, I do drop the top, but I feel really self-conscious about doing it around town.

Lately, I have been thinking about going for an M3 - I like to the idea of a 4 door for once.

Never too old. We love driving our F83! Of course that's when not driving our F82...

2021 F90 Comp LCI Frozen Marina Bay Blue/Aragon Brown Full Merino
2020 F83 Comp LCI Porsche Chalk/Black Full Merino
2018 F82 Comp LCI Mineral White/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
2017 F83 Comp Black Saphhire/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 05:44 AM   #3
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack San Marino Blue

Garage List
No I’d say if you enjoy it why not. I have been given a M4 comp convertible a few times from my garage. At every opportunity I had the top down. I loved it. My own M4 Comp has a sunroof & that’s my compromise. It’s perhaps not as fun as a convertible however still great fun. You also really notice the 250kg difference in weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:

Nothing wrong with you, as you mature in this life, you become more instinctive about the impact of your actions upon others. It's not really becoming more self-conscious as it is becoming more self-aware. Be glad this is happening, many people never reach an enhanced stage of self-awareness. I could, perhaps, be over analyzing here, but if you look at other areas of your life, personal and work related, it could be that your self -awareness has kicked up a notch as you hit 50, and that you are doing better at work and financially than your peers and than you used to, at say 40 years old - I could be wrong. Self- awareness is the number one predictor of leadership success (Daniel Goleman - Emotional Intelligence). Now, speaking from experience, I had an E36 convertible and an E92 335i convertible. From the perspective of cognitive dissonance I experienced with both of these vehicles (water always leaking into the cabin FML), I suddenly realized that I hated the sun beating down on me, combined with the fact that BMW seemingly cannot make a convertible that will not leak at some time or other, as a result, I stopped buying convertibles. I even went so far as to purchase a hardtop for the wife's Boxster. I also don't like a sunroof, and the carbon fibre roof of the M4 just looks so damn good, if you get the sunroof, you can't get the carbon fibre roof. You won't be sorry if you go for the M3 or M4, my advice is that if you never use your back seats, look at the M4. Driving the car is a visceral thrill, and my perspective is that you will quickly forget about the convertible, also, it's kinder to your skin to have a roof over your head. The looks of the M4 have grown on my since I sold my E92 M3 (coupe), and every time I wash the car by hand, I can see where they have gone with the evolution of the design. Just my 0.02c, good luck with your decision!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #5
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Age has nothing to do with it. I got my first new convertible at 45. I will always have one. I wouldn't have my BMW if it were not a convertible.

As for the "impact on others" and "self awareness", I have no idea how this applies to a preference for a convertible?
      02-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Age has nothing to do with it.
You are young as long as you believe that. So enjoy M and convertible and who cares what other think or say.

I'm 32 and sometimes I do feel self-conscious and self-awareness. And its a good thing

You have 50 more years before you feel old

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
Nothing wrong with you, as you mature in this life, you become more instinctive about the impact of your actions upon others. It's not really becoming more self-conscious as it is becoming more self-aware. Be glad this is happening, many people never reach an enhanced stage of self-awareness. I could, perhaps, be over analyzing here, but if you look at other areas of your life, personal and work related, it could be that your self -awareness has kicked up a notch as you hit 50, and that you are doing better at work and financially than your peers and than you used to, at say 40 years old - I could be wrong. Self- awareness is the number one predictor of leadership success (Daniel Goleman - Emotional Intelligence).
Very well said
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I think it comes down to life experience. Most people like the idea of a convertible but don’t realize they can come with additional problems or challenges. For me it was the security, cost of repair and ease of use. I got a hardtop convertible which I liked, but was five a piece top and kept getting hung, faulting out. I got rid of it before the warranty ran out since I had to take it back to the dealer three times for adjustments.

I liken this to owning a boat, you like the idea of having one, and you’re excited when you finally do have one but the ownership experience can be such that you’re just as excited to sell it and get it off your hands.

What I like about my Stingray (targa) is that I can remove the top and stow it in the back. There’s nothing mechanical. I just have to make sure the rubber seals stay healthy. It sounds like it’s not easy since you have to get out of the car, but honestly, it’s a very light top and quick to take off or put on. I can’t do it while driving but all the other parts of using it make me happier.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Why do you suddenly feel so self-conscious after decades?

And if you are bored of convertibles I doubt you'll enjoy a car with a fixed roof. But maybe you just need something different now after all these years.

Personally I love convertibles. I don't have one right now, but I regularly drive with my sunroof and windows open (weather permitting). Even at 30 degree temps I'll have my sunroof open or at least cracked depending on how wet it is outside. I surely want my next ride to be a 'vert.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #9
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
I'm not 50 yet, but not bored of verts yet either. I can't wait for Spring!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #10
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I think it comes down to life experience. Most people like the idea of a convertible but don’t realize they can come with additional problems or challenges. For me it was the security, cost of repair and ease of use. I got a hardtop convertible which I liked, but was five a piece top and kept getting hung, faulting out. I got rid of it before the warranty ran out since I had to take it back to the dealer three times for adjustments.

I liken this to owning a boat, you like the idea of having one, and you’re excited when you finally do have one but the ownership experience can be such that you’re just as excited to sell it and get it off your hands.

What I like about my Stingray (targa) is that I can remove the top and stow it in the back. There’s nothing mechanical. I just have to make sure the rubber seals stay healthy. It sounds like it’s not easy since you have to get out of the car, but honestly, it’s a very light top and quick to take off or put on. I can’t do it while driving but all the other parts of using it make me happier.
Added cost? Buy a Miata then. No added cost. In fact, COO will be a lot lower than most cars & you'll have more fun driving it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #11
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Nothing beats a top-down drive under the stars

If you enjoy it, don’t let what others might be thinking ruin it for you
      02-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Feeling self-conscious is the worst-imaginable reason to develop an aversion to convertibles.

At 50, you're entering the "fukkit years" when you'll finally outgrow any remnants of what others may think.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0