BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > The obligatory "my car (M135i) arrived" thread

12-21-2012, 05:40 AM   #23
Petoz
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybisler View Post
Awesome car mate.

I tried to start a new thread asking for M135i advice but these forums seem to have solid restrictions for new members!

I've started negotiations with BMW and I'm looking to test drive the M135i as soon as they can get one in. I'm looking for exactly the same spec as you:

Estoril Blue
Auto Transmission
Comfort Pack
Storage Pack

Is there anything else anyone can recommend. I'm not interested in Sat-Nav. I was hoping if someone could clarify whether the HK sound system is worth the upgrade? I'm quite into my dance music and with this in mind is the HK system aimed at sound accuracy (like a traditional Hi-Fi system) or is it fantastic for this sort of music? Would I be better off going with BMW's Pro system instead?

Finally, I haven't test driven one yet but I'd like to know what the ride is actually like. Is it firmer than the reviews make out or is it perfectly comfortable for the majority of drivers in Eco mode?

Many Thanks
Thanks, you won't regret ordering! Although I do now wish I added full black panel display to the car. This is relatively cheap, but as far as i'm aware allows for some advanced functions between that and iDrive, which standard iDrive and standard display don't offer. Also, the full black panel looks awesome.

I got the business sound upgrade for free when I ordered and I think its more than adequate. I had the Bose system in my previous A3. I'm no audiophile, so you will no doubt get completely opposing views from other people.

Again, on the ride comfort front, having moved from an s-line audi and a panda 100hp before that (both of which feel like they're on bricks), the M135i is far more forgiving.

Let us know what you order!

"Hate this car? Then you hate driving." - Clarkson, 2012
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #24
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoz View Post
Thanks, you won't regret ordering! Although I do now wish I added full black panel display to the car. This is relatively cheap, but as far as i'm aware allows for some advanced functions between that and iDrive, which standard iDrive and standard display don't offer. Also, the full black panel looks awesome.
Extra functions? Do you have any examples?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #25
Petoz
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Extra functions? Do you have any examples?
I read on another forum that mpg graphs are available with the full black panel, but without the pro nav (http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php...41414&start=45). Haven't seen it in action though.

The full black panel also displays efficient dynamics and mode/gear info below the rev counter whereas there is just an empty space with the normal display. Personally, I like the look of the larger display. It fills much more of the instrument panel - the standard one is really quite small.

Very much a personal thing, but for the cost of £125 over however many months of ownership, I think it would have been worth it.

Edit to add:
Thread in this forum discussing it. If only i'd seen before placing my order! http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714051

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #26
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

It sure looks different, but the only extra info I have seen, is a slider that shows how much throttle the car recommends. I find that instrument completely useless, so for me there is no added value in the full black panel.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #27
Petoz
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
It sure looks different, but the only extra info I have seen, is a slider that shows how much throttle the car recommends. I find that instrument completely useless, so for me there is no added value in the full black panel.
Fair enough. Like I said, very much a personal thing. Excellent car, full black panel or not, but that's the one option I wish I had ticked when ordering.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #28
F20FAN
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 2013 Facelifted Front

Wow !, what a car you got there, congrats and enjoy!

I'd wish we had the same car prices here. In Denmark this car runs at 100.000 Euro with the extras you mention. Really not affordable for ordinary humans....
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #29
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybisler View Post
Is there anything else anyone can recommend. I'm not interested in Sat-Nav. I was hoping if someone could clarify whether the HK sound system is worth the upgrade? I'm quite into my dance music and with this in mind is the HK system aimed at sound accuracy (like a traditional Hi-Fi system) or is it fantastic for this sort of music? Would I be better off going with BMW's Pro system instead?

s
The standard audio is not up to much so you will need an upgrade if you are into your music.

The standard system has four mid speakers and two 6.5 inch subs driven from the head unit.

In the UK you have a choice of two upgrade systems systems.

HK Audio for £580 or the Business Speaker system for £230.

The HK system has five mids, five tweeters, and two 8" subs under the seats driven from an external amp.

The Business system has five mids and two 8" subs under the front seats driven by an external amp.

The Business system is good with dance, trance and electronic music but the HK is better with more complex music especially classical due to the smoother and more detailed top end produced by the tweeters.

Both the HK and Business setups require a couple of weeks running in as the drivers are very stiff new.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #30
tommybisler
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys.

Lee, that's really helpful thanks. I think I'll just upgrade to the BMW Pro system if that is the case.

Petoz, thanks for bringing that up. I think I'll chuck in the black panel, it looks pretty sweet if anything!

Got a confirmed date for my test drive early in January. Very excited!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #31
ives
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series sportshatch

It's a nice looking car!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #32
tommybisler
Rep

Petoz, exactly how firm would you say the ride actually is? The one thing that's worrying me about the test drive is the misses saying it's too harsh and as she will be driving it more than me her opinion is important.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #33
Petoz
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybisler
Petoz, exactly how firm would you say the ride actually is? The one thing that's worrying me about the test drive is the misses saying it's too harsh and as she will be driving it more than me her opinion is important.
It's all relative so hard to say. But compared at an s-line A3, the M135i is so much nicer from my point of view. I've also had my mum and aunt (60+ year old passengers) over Christmas for a good length of time, both of whom have commented on how it is a nice place to be. My mum hated the A3 any time she was in it. So from my, and my limited passengers, it's not too brutal. Hope your misses thinks the same!

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #34
tommybisler
Rep

Cheers Petoz. Test driving it on Tuesday. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0