BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M140i Official

10-31-2016, 04:27 AM   #67
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laulau View Post
I am thinking of getting a M140i and was wandering what is the best drive away price have anyone achieved in obtaining in Australia or Melbourne to be precise.

Wife said M240i looks prettier but at additional 10k.

Currently mind set on Mineral Grey/Coral Red or Alpine White/Coral Red.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

I live in Italy, and I currently drive a White E87. I've ordered my M140 in Alpine White beacuse of the summer hot weather. I have also a black F10 530d, and I can ensure you that a black car and a hot weather do not get along very well....... I advice you to go for the White if you live in really hot areas during the summer period.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 05:17 AM   #68
jaze55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m140i

Quote:
I am thinking of getting a M140i and was wandering what is the best drive away price have anyone achieved in obtaining in Australia or Melbourne to be precise.

Wife said M240i looks prettier but at additional 10k.

Currently mind set on Mineral Grey/Coral Red or Alpine White/Coral Red.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.
With some negotiation you should be able to purchase a M140i without any options in Sydney for $65k driveaway. I paid just abit more as I had tinting and European plates.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #69
Laulau
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaze55 View Post
With some negotiation you should be able to purchase a M140i without any options in Sydney for $65k driveaway. I paid just abit more as I had tinting and European plates.
Thank you all for the feedback.

We were also aiming at $65,000 without any options drive away and as for exterior colour it will be either Mineral Grey or Alpine white still.

People who own them, any regrets? Anything else we should look out for?

Again, thank you for those who responded. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #70
jaze55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m140i

Quote:
Thank you all for the feedback.

We were also aiming at $65,000 without any options drive away and as for exterior colour it will be either Mineral Grey or Alpine white still.

People who own them, any regrets? Anything else we should look out for?

Again, thank you for those who responded. Much appreciated!
My only complaint is the rear seats are very tight in comparison to the Golf R / Audi S3 due to the drive train layout if you are cross shopping. Besides this point, I have no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 05:38 AM   #71
xaymaca
Rep
Drives: M140i

Thought I'd pop up my first post here.

I've just put in an order for a 2017 build M140i.

Alpine white, however I've gone with manual and the hexagon/alcantara interior.

Also have basically every M performance upgrade available - badged as a 'Performance Edition' - only 60 will be released in Australia, and only 15 will be manual

Will post up more information when I get it, but stupidly excited right now. Delivery looks like it will be early April I'd say...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #72
pangster
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaze55 View Post
My only complaint is the rear seats are very tight in comparison to the Golf R / Audi S3 due to the drive train layout if you are cross shopping. Besides this point, I have no regrets.
would ratger have this than the tiny boot and tiny petrol tank in the R and S3
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #73
pangster
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaymaca View Post
Thought I'd pop up my first post here.

I've just put in an order for a 2017 build M140i.

Alpine white, however I've gone with manual and the hexagon/alcantara interior.

Also have basically every M performance upgrade available - badged as a 'Performance Edition' - only 60 will be released in Australia, and only 15 will be manual

Will post up more information when I get it, but stupidly excited right now. Delivery looks like it will be early April I'd say...
theres a reason why tbr majority will be made with the autobox
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 06:16 PM   #74
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

6MT vs 8AT vs 7DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangster View Post
theres a reason why tbr majority will be made with the autobox
Until I bought an M135i with 8AT I'd never been a fan of automatic transmissions.....but the M135i changed that. I loved the 8AT....Super fast shifts, always in the right gear, always felt instantly hooked up. I rarely used flappy paddles because the auto always made really good decisions and was instantly responsive. None of that typical AT torque convertor 'slush'.

Then I traded the M135i for an F10 M5 with DCT. This car redefined fast....dry, warm tarmac in the middle of July and traction control was still flashing in 4th gear!

Between the M135i and M5, the 8AT was the best automatic shifter. The M5 7DCT was brilliant in Sequential mode and its flappy paddle shifting was way faster than the 8AT, but in Automatic 'D mode', the transmission's downshifting often left you in 7th on an overtake, where 5th or 6th would have been better choices, resulting in a lot of manual overrides and button pushing.

Finally I've just traded in the M5 for an M4 Competition 6MT. So where does the 6MT fit? Well all I can say is, I'm so happy to be back in a manual...I've absolutely bonded with the M4 and just love taking it out for drives. It obviously doesn't shift as fast as either the 8AT or 7DCT but with the auto throttle blips on downshifts, they're super smooth, super slick and plenty fast vs a regular MT. It does however require a change in driving style, requiring that you dump the clutch instantly after the shift to catch the revs while they're still high. In a regular MT this would make for a very jerky ride but in the M4 it leads to super smooth, super fast downshifts due to perfectly matched revs.....ideal for a nice winding road!

So personally, faced with the choice between 6MT and 8AT, it would almost certainly depend on how I used the car. Lots of town, city and freeway commuting with queuing traffic? An 8AT for sure. Alternatively, lots of weekend and pleasure driving for fun? A 6MT without a doubt.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #75
pangster
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Until I bought an M135i with 8AT I'd never been a fan of automatic transmissions.....but the M135i changed that. I loved the 8AT....Super fast shifts, always in the right gear, always felt instantly hooked up. I rarely used flappy paddles because the auto always made really good decisions and was instantly responsive. None of that typical AT torque convertor 'slush'.

Then I traded the M135i for an F10 M5 with DCT. This car redefined fast....dry, warm tarmac in the middle of July and traction control was still flashing in 4th gear!

Between the M135i and M5, the 8AT was the best automatic shifter. The M5 7DCT was brilliant in Sequential mode and its flappy paddle shifting was way faster than the 8AT, but in Automatic 'D mode', the transmission's downshifting often left you in 7th on an overtake, where 5th or 6th would have been better choices, resulting in a lot of manual overrides and button pushing.

Finally I've just traded in the M5 for an M4 Competition 6MT. So where does the 6MT fit? Well all I can say is, I'm so happy to be back in a manual...I've absolutely bonded with the M4 and just love taking it out for drives. It obviously doesn't shift as fast as either the 8AT or 7DCT but with the auto throttle blips on downshifts, they're super smooth, super slick and plenty fast vs a regular MT. It does however require a change in driving style, requiring that you dump the clutch instantly after the shift to catch the revs while they're still high. In a regular MT this would make for a very jerky ride but in the M4 it leads to super smooth, super fast downshifts due to perfectly matched revs.....ideal for a nice winding road!

So personally, faced with the choice between 6MT and 8AT, it would almost certainly depend on how I used the car. Lots of town, city and freeway commuting with queuing traffic? An 8AT for sure. Alternatively, lots of weekend and pleasure driving for fun? A 6MT without a doubt.
Steve - I agree with a lot of what you've said! - but i've (surprisingly) never found the 8AT wanting or ever been caught out with it before.. but then again a lot of owners don't even know that the 8AT has a fully automatic sports mode (which is separate from the dynamic driver control modes which map the throttle)..

I've found that slipping the auto in sports mode when intending on doing some spirited driving works amazingly well - think it might have something to do with being the LCI being plugged into the sat nav as well? - but when the gearbox is in full auto sports mode - it will blip on the downshifts for you and always seems to be in the the right/best gears for corners.. I can count probably on one hand the amount of times I've used the flappy paddles!! LOL

I'm not slating the manual - but questioning the validity that there is now one perceived performance preference (manual v auto) as this argument might have been valid 10 or 15 years ago... but it certainly isn't the case now..

horses for courses though!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 09:07 AM   #76
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

I drive an M140i with Zf auto gearbox. Altough it is a really, really good gearbox, often I miss the Manual. As you said, it depence in how you're going to use the car. If you need something for work reasons, the automatic, is the choice today. But for having real fun, and a real genuine drive experience, the manual is miles ahead to every DCT or ZF, in my opinion. I drove last week the wondeful AR Giulia Quadrifoglio with the manual box, and it was a real joy, a real driving experience. By the way, my next sport car will be manual for sure, even if here in Italy the 92% of all BMWs sold are with an automatic box today, (even if it couldn't be another BMW maybe).
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 09:47 AM   #77
pangster
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
I drive an M140i with Zf auto gearbox. Altough it is a really, really good gearbox, often I miss the Manual. As you said, it depence in how you're going to use the car. If you need something for work reasons, the automatic, is the choice today. But for having real fun, and a real genuine drive experience, the manual is miles ahead to every DCT or ZF, in my opinion. I drove last week the wondeful AR Giulia Quadrifoglio with the manual box, and it was a real joy, a real driving experience. By the way, my next sport car will be manual for sure, even if here in Italy the 92% of all BMWs sold are with an automatic box today, (even if it couldn't be another BMW maybe).
good luck with that!!.. to be honest - it says something when Ferrari even acknowledge how good auto's are these days and stop making manuals..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 12:23 AM   #78
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

A lot of the shift to autos/dsg transmissions is also to do with creeping strictures of emissions and fuel consumption regulations. I'm sure if these didn't exist, we wouldn't see the mfrs pushing them onto us.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 03:56 AM   #79
xaymaca
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
This is exactly what was going through my mind...

So I've driven around an M140i for a few weeks already (I was lucky enough to have one loaned to me) and that had the 8AT. Faultless transmission, I absolutely agree!

However the reason I'm buying this car is for the driving experience. Will really only be a 'weekender'.

Oh, and the kicker, this new 'Performance Edition' that Australia is releasing... If you get the 6MT, you also get the M Performance LSD as a no cost option.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #80
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Drool indeed

Quote:
This is exactly what was going through my mind...

So I've driven around an M140i for a few weeks already (I was lucky enough to have one loaned to me) and that had the 8AT. Faultless transmission, I absolutely agree!

However the reason I'm buying this car is for the driving experience. Will really only be a 'weekender'.

Oh, and the kicker, this new 'Performance Edition' that Australia is releasing... If you get the 6MT, you also get the M Performance LSD as a no cost option.
6MT with an M Performance LSD....that's about as good as it gets. A really beautifully balanced motorcar that allows you to explore its limits with a degree of comfort only available on particularly well sorted, great handling cars
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #81
xaymaca
Rep

I'll let you know how it performs!
On a related note... Anyone see how well the M2 Pure Edition sells? That's only available in 6MT. I think it will be juuuust fine!

The only thing I wasn't sure about was going for the hexagon/alcantara interior instead of leather. Wasn't sure about resale, but again I wanted to go for the simplistic approach. Also leather can slip around with spirited driving, right? Counter-argument to that is the sports seats in leather are super adjustable for bolstering etc so probably wouldn't slip around!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 11:40 PM   #82
xaymaca
Rep

Just got my order confirmation - production week 5/2/17

Now to watch the seconds tick while I wait a month... Then another 3 months for delivery
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #83
h3llsb3lls
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 140i

Quote:
Just got my order confirmation - production week 5/2/17

Now to watch the seconds tick while I wait a month... Then another 3 months for delivery
Hey mate, would you be willing to share what the ORC was for the performance edition? I ordered an m140i last month and I've been told the performance edition would have cost me 8k more than the regular m140i...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #84
xaymaca
Rep

Yep $7k premium. RRP is $71900 vs normal $64900. Then add stamp etc, $8k sounds about right for the increased price. Then minus whatever negotiation you have, which for a limited edition of 60 is not great
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #85
xaymaca
Rep

Do you know when production is for yours? Considering the extra, are you going to upgrade?
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 08:01 PM   #86
h3llsb3lls
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 140i

I ordered mine in November but I requested for a '17 make. Speaking with the dealer yesterday mine will probably be hitting production some time this week. ORC for me came to 69k but that includes the sunroof, metallic paint, the wooden trim and coral leather seats and through loading.

I was seriously considering the performance edition but wasn't expecting an 8k price hike. I might just go in for a limited slip diff in a year or so. Been quoted 4.5k including parts and labour.

Edit: So expecting delivery some time in March... provided the stars align and there is a boat waiting to pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #87
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

From what I've heard, an M140i (Australia), stock car without metallic or roof could be bought for $63k.

Ask around and push for it. There's a tonne of competition in this segment and the M140i isn't the obvious choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #88
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Also, what comes with the Performance edition?
Appreciate 0