BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M-Sport: Hexagon Anthracite fabric/Alcantara vs Leather Dakota

05-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
jamot
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Fiesta

M-Sport: Hexagon Anthracite fabric/Alcantara vs Leather Dakota

Hi Guys,

I'm curious as to what the difference between these is, in terms quality and comfortability.

Which one do you prefer with your M-Sport F20?

I was dead set on buying an Urban Line F20, until i saw an Estoril Blue M-Sport at work today.... My gawd... it is breath-taking!

So it's decided... Estoril Blue M-Sport it is!

Just a lil indicisive in terms of the Leather or the fabric/Alcantara as i've never seen the fabric/Alcantara before. I could really save the cash... But i don't want to compromise on quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Alcantara is standard in the UK- not sure about SA.

I've test driven both leather and Alcantara- and i much prefer Alcantara- its much more conformable, exclusive for M-Sport, and has Estoril Blue stitching!

Unless you need hardwaring leather for kids, i would, and did, go for Alcantara
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]
I ordered mine in the Dakota....I think it's the bees knees when it comes to sports seats :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Initially I decided to go with Dakota leather. That was until I saw pictures of the standard M-sport interior in Alcantara/fabric After that I decided to go for the Alcantara/fabric interior because it looked comfortable, exclusive and very pretty. A nice side effect was that it saved me some money too, but that was not the important issue here.

After getting the car two weeks ago, I enjoy every second in those seats. They are actually a lot more comfortable than the nappa leather seats in my F12, in terms of surface and material feel. (Not in terms of the seat construction itself, allthough even this is very good...).

I probably would be willing to pay extra for the Alcantara/fabric if Dakota were standard. Instead I saved money by having the best seats. Win/win!

Last edited by Superspeed; 05-14-2012 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
dubman
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125iM

We don't get alcatara as an option here in Oz on the m sport so it's leather only I'm afraid.

A couple of people have complained here that there is stiching in the middle of the leather and it can get a bit uncomfortable. I'm hoping that won't be an issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Bmw 4ever
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 23d exclusive

Withs kids around go def 4 the leather, the alcantara also seems to show dust after a while.
I got a 5 year old thats why my order was the laether
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
jamot
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Fiesta

Thanks Guys,

I guess Alacantra it is... It looks SICK! I'm in my mid 20's and not planning to have kids anytime soon.

I wonder how the Alacantra holds up over a couple of years though... Wouldn't want it falling apart on me! lol
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamot View Post
Thanks Guys,

I guess Alacantra it is... It looks SICK! I'm in my mid 20's and not planning to have kids anytime soon.

I wonder how the Alacantra holds up over a couple of years though... Wouldn't want it falling apart on me! lol
Worry no more- straight from the Alcantara website:

Quote:
To preserve the beauty of Alcantara®, we recommend that you clean the fabric regularly, avoiding energetic scrubbing and the use of steaming equipment.

For car upholstery you can use specific products, or - if they are not on hand - dust it with a soft cloth or sponge dampened with clean water. Wring it out well and clean all Alcantara® fabric, taking care not to wet the upholstery too deeply; dampen the cloth in clean water, wipe again, and allow to dry well overnight. The rejuvenate the fabric by brushing it delicately with a soft-bristled brush.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
ANTEX
ERDEM
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw bauer

WE SUPPLY OEM FABRICS please check www.oldtimer-textiles.de
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
stik100
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series 120d M Sport

I had exactly the same dilemma! I have my car on order - 120d M Sport Auto. My original spec included leather and heated seats, but it was pushing my monthly payment just out of my budget. So I decided to forego the leather and heated heats, I hope I made the right decision!
Appreciate 0