BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Drivetrain for the third time

03-18-2024, 01:54 PM   #1
Morettopops
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW one Series

Drivetrain for the third time

Hello,

My BMW One series had a drivetrain error. Took it to get looked at. Turns out it was the clutch and flywheel that needed replaced. Issue disappears.

Forward two months, the error comes back, this time it’s the spark plugs and one ignition coil that needs replaced. Job done, fine for a week and then it’s back again!

This time, the rear of the car squeaks, almost like a brake noise and it locks whilst reversing off of the drive; takes some acceleration to get it moving. There’s also a clunking noise in the back when either reversing or pulling away in 1st gear 🤯. Once it’s above 30mph it drives fine and there’s no issues!

Does anybody have any idea what it might be? Could it be related to the clutch replacement or something completely different? Or should I just take it back to the mechanic for more diagnostics?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
No one1044.50
      03-18-2024, 03:47 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hello.

I would guess it may be a parking brake issue (are you an avid parking brake user?).

It's amazing if pure mechanical parts like the clutch and the flywheel can really cause a computer warning... I guess it could be the clutch slip that caused engine to wheels rev mismatch. It's interesting to know!

I have an impermanent strange sound now. It might be fine while there's no warning.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 03:45 AM   #3
Morettopops
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW one Series

I don’t really use the parking brake all that much. I do however pull it right up to the ceiling when parked 🫣

The clutch was slipping and the car was rattling before replacement and it would sort of lock up whilst driving for a split second now and then.

I really can’t be bothered to spend more money repairing this car! The warning has gone, will see if it comes back and if so, suggest the mechanic looks at the parking brake.

Hopefully your problem is nothing too major! 🙂
Appreciate 0