BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F21 Anti-sway bars fitted, bye-bye body roll

11-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Madgambler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Hartge, M Xorst, Quaife, B1

Garage List
F21 Anti-sway bars fitted, bye-bye body roll

Courtesy of Birds (www.birdsauto.com) my little M Hatch has now been modified with mechanical diff-friendly anti-sway bars and I can thoroughly recommend them already : )

I think it would be fair to say their installation was more involved than expected. Took about 5 hours and a couple of car techs were needed for a few tricky bits.

Virtually no body roll now on fast corners, the steering is sharper and both acceleration and braking are more controlled with the car feeling like it's running on rails.

Comfort setting is firmer but not overly harsh. Sport and Sport+ is about as stiff a ride as I'd want. A bit of a choppier reaction to road bumps but I've read that's to be expected since the shockers are now working as pairs rather than independently. All in all they seem like a good investment.

I feel a track day is now in order...
      11-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Has it altered the balance much Madgambler? How's the progression to oversteer under power?
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgambler View Post
Courtesy of Birds (www.birdsauto.com) my little M Hatch has now been modified with mechanical diff-friendly anti-sway bars and I can thoroughly recommend them already : )

I think it would be fair to say their installation was more involved than expected. Took about 5 hours and a couple of car techs were needed for a few tricky bits.
What is the diameter of the new swaybars? And what made the installation difficult? On most cars, this installation is very easy.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 02:05 AM   #4
GeoBem007
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i

What brand are they?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
Madgambler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Hartge, M Xorst, Quaife, B1

Garage List
Balance feels more neutral than it was. Before it felt a little too tail-happy under load. Steering feel has improved too.

The installation required an extra 1.5 hours I think because 'lowering one sub-frame assembly' wasn't enough, whereas it used to be all that was needed for the older 1-series.

The spec was bespoke to Birds to accommodate my Quaife. From what I can gather they went for torsion settings similar to those of the older 1-series. I did not pry as to the supplier but I think I heard from the owner during a road test it wasn't Eibach.
      11-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

If it became less tail happy, you probably got a larger increase in diameter up front than in the rear. That will give you more understeer. The car will also be more likely to lift the inside front wheel coming out of corners.

I have usually gone the opposite direction with the setup after installing a limited slip differential. Since I can get more power down with it, I have chosen to increase the rear swaybar more. After all, oversteer is easier to handle when you have a LSD.

(In the previous car, I felt the coilovers were stiff enough as they were, so I got a thinner swaybar up front rather than a thicker one in the rear.)
Appreciate 0