BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New 2012 3-series (F30 / F35) design and product line insight

06-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #23
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

well bmw used to stay on the leading edge of design, but these new 5's and 7's and this concept, not so much at all I'm afraid
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #24
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick82 View Post
The Lexus and Hyundai I see - the Volvo not so much.

Plus, many car companies now share platforms. There is no wonder why some cars look like each other (Ford/Volvo/Mazda - VW/Audi etc)

The new 3 series rendering looks great!
that rendering is a conservative guess based purely off of thoughts and speculations. i'll be the first to bet $10 it won't look even vaguely similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
look at the hood/fender line on the volvo, and the door sills, and the window shape

all the sedans are looking more and more like each other, the e9x was on it's own, but it sound like they are making them look like all the rest

the 5 gt is a good example of this, they changed the back end, and made it look exactly like a lexus hybrid, and those have been out for years
maybe, but if you read the article it sounds pretty safe to me. they're keeping similar proportions, and the hoff kink/character line sounds interesting and keeps it in check with the new design language. BMWs, and specifically the 3er range, have continually fought the trend of riding shoulder lines and shrinking DLOs, like on the cars you posted. they look like tanks.

hood lines have been repeated time and again by multiple makes now. there's only so much you can do with the typical two maybe four lines. it's all about the execution. same goes to the character lines. similar, but with key differences.

lower swage lines are becoming increasingly popular, like the new tornado line on Audis. this just helps to brake up the wall of mass that's considered the sides of modern cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #25
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

That would be a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyayan View Post
is it me... or is the car looking like the new Z4?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #26
mitch_e90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

lol, when was the last time shots published 3 years prior to a release have been accurate?
as far as I know, they can' t even get it right 6 months before a release. So why all the fuss already?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #27
jusjankey
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

I'm glad the new 3 won't look like the render...it looks like an audi imo.
Appreciate 0