BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Your Automotive History and Favorite/Best Vehicles

05-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
Diggerdan11
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E90 335xDrive

Garage List
Your Automotive History and Favorite/Best Vehicles

I have seen a thread like this on may forums, but not here.

Im assuming that for most people on this site their E9x is not their first vehicle.

So what is your vehicle history? What vehicles have you owned in your life (in order)? What is your favorite, or the best vehicle you have ever owned? Lets see what path you took that lead you to buying a E9x. Post pictures if you can. Talk a little bit about your previous vehicles, why you liked them, or why you didn't.

I will start

As you can see I have always been a truck guy. I learned to drive on a crew cab long bed chevy, and did not drive a car for the first time till I was over 18.

First Vehicle: 1989 Ford F-250. It was a gutless turd, but It was freshly painted, and I had it tricked out a bit.
(I Dont have any good pictures of it)

2001 Chevy Silverado 1500
Sold my Ford and bough this. It was a huge upgrade from the 89 ford.

2005 Chevy Silverado SS
Sold the 01 and bought this. It is still my favorite car that I have owned and I kick myself every day for selling it. It was fast (for a truck) and fun to drive. I owned this for 8 years which is longer than any other vehicle I have owned.

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
Bought this for my girlfriend at the time (now my wife), and this was by far the biggest piece of junk I have owned. It had plenty of power, but had terrible torque steer. We had tons of issues with it, mainly electrical. It was covered under warranty, but it was still a pain.

2003 Chevy Tahoe
Bought this to replace the G6. It was a great car, but it had 200K miles on it and we ended up trading it in because it was starting to have transmission issues.

1969 Chevy C20
Bought this as a project truck. Its been a super slow process and one of these days I will complete the restoration.
Here it is when I bought it:

Here is what it looks like now after paint and body:

2005 Subaru Legacy GT
It was a ok car to start with, but then the engine blew and I bought the BMW. I bought this for my wife and I was going to drive the Tahoe as my daily and have my SS as a play toy, but I ended up trading in the Hoe and selling the SS.

2003 Silverado 1500HD
I traded in the Tahoe for this since it only had 50K miles (10 years old at the time). It was a great truck, but it got terrible gas mileage, and its a pain to park in he city.

1977 Chevy K20
I inherited this after my grandpa passed away. Its being stored for a while and after I finish my 69 chevy I will probably try to restore this a bit. I dont know what Im going to do with it, but I have an sentimental attachment to it.

2010 335ix
Bought the BMW when the engine blew on the Subaru. The BMW was originally going to be my wifes car, but I ended up selling the Silverado for something more practical for her.

2007 GMC Yukon Denali
With a baby on the way we decided to sell my truck for an SUV for my wife so we could have plenty of room for kids and dogs. I have only had it for 6 months, but so for I really like it.

1969 Chevelle Malibu
Im going to throw this in here. The car was bought by my dad brand new in 69 when he was 15. In the mid 90's him and I restored it back to original. He has always told me that I can have it once I have a place to store it. He has the title, but I have been paying insurance on it for the last 6 years so I claim it as my own.

So If I had to rank my vehicles from best to worst, favorite to least; the 335 is probably the best, but the Silverado SS was my favorite. The Pontiac was by far the worst.
      05-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Glacier silver F36

In chronological order, only have pics for a few unfortunately

- 1986 Toyota Celica
- 1997 Honda Civic
- 1998 Acura Integra GS-R
- 1997 Nissan 240SX SE (top 3 fav)
- 2003 Nissan 350Z
350Z_Volks by irvine9393, on Flickr
- 2005 BMW M3 (top 3 fav)
- 2012 Mercedes C-class AMG
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma
- 2014 BMW 435i (top 3 fav)
bmw3 by irvine9393, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
rsr552
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

* In chronological order (will post pics later)

- 1994 Nissan Altima (Sold - High School Car)
- 2007 Honda Civic EX Coupe (Totaled via T-bone )
- 2008 Honda Civic Si Coupe (Stolen ) *Top 3
- 2011 BMW 135i (Sold)
- 2011 BMW M3 Sedan (Current) *Top 3
- 2001 Honda S2000 (Current) *Top 3
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
Diggerdan11
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E90 335xDrive

Garage List
Well this thread was a bust
      05-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #5
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
By far my favorite is my current 2007 Z06. I do miss my Cutlass. It was my 1st car. I plan to buy another when I have the space & time to screw with it.
Really loved the Miata as well. Obviously, I love my Speed6 too as it's my 2nd one & I've had it over 3 years so far. That's a long time for me to keep any car!!!

I hated the Shelby Z. Snapped axles every other day for no reason & one day the damn exhaust decided to come apart & drag down the highway sparking Also hated the Genesis Coupe. Build quality was worse than crap, stereo was complete junk, lost all lights minus headlights randomly one night & it turned out to be a missing fuse according to the dealer. I tossed a small shot (75) of juice at it & the POS trans never could handle it (Auto) and would never shift right. Trapped 108 on spray & 99 off it.

Not in order...

86 Olds Cutlass Supreme
95 Camaro Z28
98 Saturn SC2
88 Daytona Shelby Z
89 Cavalier Z24 Vert
98 Grand Prix GTP (Two of these)
99 Grand Prix GTP
93 Mustang GT
89 Mustang LX
97 Mustang Cobra Vert
96 Cobra
95 Mustang GT Vert
99 Trans Am
2003 Accord Coupe V6
2002 Mercury Sable (Beater)
1999 Grand Marquis (Beater)
2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track
2007 335xi E90
2007 Mazdaspeed6 GT
2006 Corvette
1997 Miata
2007 Corvette Z06 (Current)
2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT (Current)
2000 Camaro Z28 Vert (Current)

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Pig_in_Soup
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Hah, and I thought I went through cars quick.

1985 Mercury Topaz - high school car. It was a diesel and I hated it, but in hindsight it was a tough little sucker. I abused the hell out of it and it never left me stranded.

1989 Ford F-250 - grew up in the country and wanted a truck. It was a nice ride but fuel mileage was a killer to a recent high school grad, even in '92.

1991 Civic Si hatch - my first sport compact. Drove it from '95 - '01. I put 175k miles on it and it never skipped a beat.

2001 WRX - Decided it was time for an upgrade. My first brand new car. Coming from my old Civic this thing was a rocket. I've never been able to quite duplicate the feeling I had when driving it home from the dealer the first time.

1997 Civic EX 2 door - WRX got t-boned in 2003 and I decided to down grade to save some money. Drove it until 2008. Not the most exciting car but it never let me down. 100k miles and only oil changes and tires.

2010 GMC Sierra - Got married, bought a fixer upper house, needed a truck to haul supplies. It was a nice truck but I have very few memories of it because about 8 months later this happened:

2011 Mustang GT California Special. Saw it on a dealer lot as a low miles trade and had to have it. It was a great car but about a year later my wife was really getting into horses and wanted a trailer to take them places (and a truck to pull it) so:

2008 F-250. It's a good truck, we still own it. It's a V10 versus Powerstroke. I'd read too many nightmares about the diesel engine issues and with the cost of diesel what it is I opted for a gas engine. No regrets there. For what we pull, 10k max weight, it pulls like a champ. You can barely tell the trailer is back there.

At this point I was driving the truck and my wife had a '92 Miata. I felt the need to get myself something more fun and better on gas (even though a car payment offsets any savings you might make from better mileage~). And I got really interested in the Focus ST. So:

I bought a 2014 ST. I'll admit Ford has come leaps and bounds ahead of where they were with interior and build quality since even 5 years ago. It was a fun little car and I enjoyed reliving my sport compact days...but god the torque steer. A tune made that even worse. After about 8 months I was over my sport compact phase and vowed to never again buy a front drive performance car. After a few weeks browsing CarMax this happened:

So far I've owned it longer than any car I've had in the last 5 years (14 months, sad I know). I'm still completely happy with it. It's just the right mix of performance and luxury. I admit I'm eyeing the new Porsche Cayman S's, but I'd like to get 3-4 more years out of the 335.

Favorite car I've owned, funnily enough it wasn't mine per se, it was my wife's 92 Miata.

I did a complete refurb on it interior wise and full Flyin' Miata suspension kit. It was a ton of fun to drive and slow enough that you could actually enjoy winding it through the gears without breaking the speed limit in 3 seconds.

We sold it recently because we got her a new Wrangler (her dream car) and we just didn't have a place to store it. I'll miss that car though.

Gratuitous Jeep shot. Yes that's my sad '83 733i project car in the background. I'll fix it one day I swear.

Last edited by Pig_in_Soup; 05-24-2016 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0