BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Runflat or not for my f20

03-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #23
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F46 Gran Tourer, C220 AMG

Thanks Lee, was just making sure I wasnt being lied to lol!

As Ovekram says I can always change them after the event....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 02:38 AM   #24
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
I would stick with the RFT's for the following reasons:

1. The ride of the car (on 16'' rims) is very compliant, even with the RFTs. It is more comfortable than the E90 was with 17'' and Non-RFTs.

2. The car is not a performance vehicle, so I am willing to comprise the cutting edge handling (for which I do not care, as I will not drive it in a ring) for the peace of mind.

3. New RFTs are quite good in terms of comfort and handling, compared to the older ones. Especially the ones from Goodyear, Michelin and Continental are top notch.

4. I like the safety and peace of mind of the RFTs.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #25
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanis View Post
4. I like the safety and peace of mind of the RFTs.
After watching some puncture test videos on youtube, comparing RFTs with non-RFTs, I said to myself that I will never use conventional tyres again.

However, what happens when one of your RFT tyres is punctured and you are in the middle of nowhere (e.g. 150-200 km from the nearest workshop)? I think that a spare tyre is a MUST even for RFTs. Too bad the battery is mounted where the spare should be.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #26
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim73 View Post
However, what happens when one of your RFT tyres is punctured and you are in the middle of nowhere (e.g. 150-200 km from the nearest workshop)? I think that a spare tyre is a MUST even for RFTs. Too bad the battery is mounted where the spare should be.
There is a problem in the scenario you describe only if the tyre is detroyed and no just panctured. In this case, an only this, yes the RFT is useless and you need a spare wheel. However, the odd are in favour of you...I drive since 1993 and I never had a punctured tyre that was destroyed. In all cases (5 times in total) the tyre was repairable and if I had a RFT (in only 1 case the tyre was RFT) I would continue with no problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #27
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
There is a problem in the scenario you describe only if the tyre is detroyed and no just panctured. In this case, an only this, yes the RFT is useless and you need a spare wheel. However, the odd are in favour of you...I drive since 1993 and I never had a punctured tyre that was destroyed. In all cases (5 times in total) the tyre was repairable and if I had a RFT (in only 1 case the tyre was RFT) I would continue with no problem.
OK Fani, here is this scenario* then: you have just started your vacation in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in southern Crete (yes, we love "deserted" beaches... ). You have a flat tyre and the nearest local workshop (which, of course, does not have the suitable equipment to replace your RFT, but only conventional tyres - yes there is a difference in the replacement procedure also) is in the other side of the island.

What are your options?

How safe would you feel thinking you will be passing the rest of your holidays with a punctured RFT?

How are those problems solved by BMW Mobile Care? Can they provide you with a spare RFT?

*This is a true scenario and I am sure it is not rare. It happened to us last summer in Crete with a rented Polo the second day we set foot on the island... The car had conventional tyres, the problem was solved in a few minutes using the spare wheel and 30 minutes later we were already enjoying our swim at the beach... I really don't want to imagine what would have happened if it had RFTs and no spare wheel...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #28
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
Around half of f20/f21 models in the uk are sold with non runflats, they come with inflator and foam. Sits in the boot at the side of the battery under the boot floor.
No f20/21 has a spare tyre and jack.

Cheers
Lee
Runflats are standard on all BMWs in south africa with the exception of the M135i which has the no cost option of "high grip" non RF's and I think the other M cars which don't have them at all. They also all come with the compressor jobbie.

I think it's because people tend to be robbed/raped/murdered (I'm being serious) when stopped on the side of the road at night in here.

What I would recommend adding to your compressor kit regardless is a torch. Remember the rechargeable ones in the cubby hole used to come standard on BMWs? I see they don't even come on the top end models any more. What's up with that?

Last edited by diesel20; 03-19-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #29
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OK Fani, here is this scenario* then: you have just started your vacation in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in southern Crete (yes, we love "deserted" beaches... ). You have a flat tyre and the nearest local workshop (which, of course, does not have the suitable equipment to replace your RFT, but only conventional tyres - yes there is a difference in the replacement procedure also) is in the other side of the island.

What are your options?

How safe would you feel thinking you will be passing the rest of your holidays with a punctured RFT?

How are those problems solved by BMW Mobile Care? Can they provide you with a spare RFT?
Hi Dim

Here is my view on the subject:

If the tyre is totally destroyed, then yes you can do nothing! However, this is a very rare case and I am willing to take my chances, instead of carrying around a spare wheel.

Now if the tyre is just punctured, you have the following options, even in Crete (or any other isolated place):

1. Drive to the nearest tyre shop and have the tyre repaired, if possible. Yes RFT can be repaired (I have done it twice), as long as the structural integrity of the sidewalls is intact.

2. Replace the tyre with a conventional used tyre (pay max 50 Euro), just in order to get around and when you return home you replace it with the proper RFT tyre. I have done it with my Z4, when I had a flat tyre (non-RFTs) and the local tyre shop did not have my tyre size, so I mounted a different size used one just to be able to go home.

Of course you should not drive with a punctured RFT around...it is not safe. At the end, all is matter of statistics. Personally I am willing to risk a bit (like 1%) than buy another wheel and carry it around with me in every journey I make.

As for BMW mobile care, it is a good question. I do not know what they will do and what they are obliged to do. I think they will take you to the nearest BMW dealer and from there you have to deal with the dealer (find you a tyre, give you a loan car or whatever).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #30
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Thank you for the analysis Fani!

Quote:
As for BMW mobile care, it is a good question. I do not know what they will do and what they are obliged to do. I think they will take you to the nearest BMW dealer and from there you have to deal with the dealer (find you a tyre, give you a loan car or whatever).
I 've checked it out at the Greek BMW website (http://www.bmw.gr/owners/service/ipi...services2.html). There is a full coverage by BMW Mobile Care in any case (RFT/Non-RFT puncture or damage beyond any repair).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #31
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I 've checked it out at the Greek BMW website (http://www.bmw.gr/owners/service/ipi...services2.html). There is a full coverage by BMW Mobile Care in any case (RFT/Non-RFT puncture or damage beyond any repair).
Yes they cover you....but in the case you describe, probably they will take you to the closest authorised dealer and then it is their ''problem'' to find a tyre for you. However, it is a good service and I will definetely pay to renew it after 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #32
mrclouzo
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116 ED

Quote:
Yes they cover you....but in the case you describe, probably they will take you to the closest authorised dealer and then it is their ''problem'' to find a tyre for you. However, it is a good service and I will definetely pay to renew it after 5 years.
Are you sure you can renew bmw mobile care and if so do you know the cost? I agree that bmw mobile care is a very useful service. What is your opinion about service inclusive packages?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 01:56 AM   #33
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclouzo View Post
Are you sure you can renew bmw mobile care and if so do you know the cost? I agree that bmw mobile care is a very useful service. What is your opinion about service inclusive packages?
Yes you can renew it...I did so for my Z4. The cost in 2010 was 95 Euro for 1 year. I do not know is it is still the same or if it has increased.

The Service Inclusive Packages are good value, especially if you get the Total package which also works ar guarantee extension. However, it depends on the service frequency. If you stick to BMW CBS then the value is good. If on the other hand, for example you change oil every 10.000 kms (like I do), then the value is not good, since you are not covered.
Appreciate 0